Warning Strike: We achieved our goal, says NLC

Warning Strike: We achieved our goal, says NLC

*Calls on workers to return to work promptly as two-day industrial action ends The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has concluded its two-day warning strike, urging its members across the country to resume work. NLC President Joe Ajaero expressed appreciation for the participation of Nigerian workers in the strike, emphasizing that significant progress had been made. The strike, initiated by the labour union, spanned Tuesday and Wednesday and was driven by concerns over unfulfilled agreements with the Federal Government regarding petrol subsidy removal. The decision to strike had a substantial impact, causing disruptions in economic and commercial activities in various states across the nation. Ajaero conveyed the NLC’s satisfaction with the outcomes, stating, “We are pleased to report that, thanks to your resolute commitment, we have made significant strides in achieving the goals set during our National Executive Council (NEC) meeting, which prompted the initiation of this warning strike.” He continued, “It is abundantly clear that our united message has resonated loudly with the government, and it would take a truly inattentive ear not to hear it.” With the warning strike concluded, the NLC called upon its members to return to work promptly, in alignment with the initial agreement. The resolution signals an intent to continue constructive dialogue with the government regarding the subsidy removal issue.

Power outage due to warning strike –AEDC

Power outage due to warning strike –AEDC

The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC’) has attributed the power outage being experienced in its franchise areas to the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) two-day warning strike. The management of AEDC made this known in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday. “We are aware of the general power outage being experienced across our franchise; this is due to enforcement of the two-day warning strike embarked upon by the labour union. “We apologise for any inconvenience you may be experiencing as a result of this, as we continue our engagement with key stakeholders toward minimising the impact of the strike on our customers,” it said.  AEDC urge their customers to take necessary precautions to manage the outage effectively. The company advised its customer to unplug sensitive electronic devices and appliances from power sources pending the restoration of power. “We will continue to provide updates on developments regarding the impact of the strike action on our operations through our official social media handles. “Thank you for your understanding and continued support during this challenging time. We remain committed to serve you,” it said. The NLC on Tuesday commenced a two-day nationwide warning strike from September 5 to September 6. 

NLC commends Nigerians for successful warning strike compliance

NLC commends Nigerians for successful warning strike compliance

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has expressed its appreciation to Nigerians for their overwhelming support and dedication in ensuring the success of the first-day warning strike organized by the Congress, which was observed nationwide on Tuesday. Mr. Joe Ajaero, the President of NLC, conveyed this sentiment in a statement titled, “Our Two-Day Nationwide Warning Strike: First Day of Success,” issued on Tuesday in Abuja. Recalling the NLC’s earlier communique at the conclusion of its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting, it had announced the commencement of a two-day nationwide warning strike, scheduled from September 5 to September 6. Additionally, the NLC had issued a warning of a potential indefinite nationwide strike to occur within either 14 working days or 21 days from the issuance of the communique. The Congress emphasized that these actions were contingent upon the government’s response to addressing the significant hardships and widespread impoverishment resulting from the removal of subsidies. According to Ajaero, this is to applaud all Nigerian workers through the actions of all our affiliates and State Councils. “This is for the massive support and efforts at ensuring that the first day of the nationwide warning strike took off with a resounding success across the nation. “You have all demonstrated that your words and decisions will always be backed by action. “This has resonated in every part of the country today and we are sure that the message has been sent to those who doubt our determination to push through with our objectives,”he said. He added that, we are glad to inform you that all of our objectives for the first day were fully met. He said this was due to the high level of compliance experienced as a result of all collective efforts around the federation. The NLC president therefore, commended all for their commitment towards ensuring that the reasons for the warning strike were fulfilled at the time. “We however urge you all to continue with the same zeal and determination which saw the huge success that was recorded today. “This is as we move to the second and final day of the nationwide strike to ensure a complete success of the entire exercise. “While thanking all Nigerian workers and indeed the masses for their understanding as we go through this trying time,” he said. He however, called for more efforts and urged all to join hands to ensure that all loopholes observed during the first day action were plugged. He added that, so that tomorrow’s action would be a total success. “It is our civic duty to ensure that we are governed effectively and that those in government remain accountable to the people at all times! “We are committed to that and with your continued support, our nation will surely become a better place for all of us,” he said.

Shelve proposed warning strike, FG appeals to NLC

Shelve proposed warning strike, FG appeals to NLC to suspend

The Federal Government has appealed to the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to suspend its proposed 2-day nationwide warning strike over economic hardship. The Minister of Labour and Employment, Mr Simon Lalong, made the call at a news conference on Monday in Abuja. The NLC in a communique issued at the end of its National Executive Council (NLC) said it would commence a 2-day nationwide warning strike from September 5 to September 6. The NLC also threatened to embark on indefinite nationwide strike within 14 working days or 21 days from when the communique was issued unless the Federal Government addressed the excruciating suffering of Nigerians. Lalong said that the appeal had become necessary in order to ensure robust line of communication with Nigerians and in particular the organised labour to forestall a breakdown of industrial peace. He noted that the planned industrial action would no doubt reverse some of the gains already made by the administration. According to him, in this context, it has become pertinent to appeal to the leadership of the NLC to suspend its intended two days warning strike. “As such action would be detrimental to the gains already being recorded on our course to securing a greater future for Nigerian workers and citizens at large. “Furthermore, I would request that the Comrade Leadership of the NLC gives this government some time to settle and address the issues on the ground holistically. “It should be realised that the Cabinet of this administration was only recently sworn in by Mr President and all cabinet members have hit the ground running by receiving briefings from their MDAs. “Therefore, the issues raised by the leadership of the NLC are some issues that I and the Minister of State for Labour and Employment are being briefed upon,” he said. The minister however reassured Nigerian workers that this government would never take them for granted nor fail to appreciate their support and understanding. He also said that this administration would continue to pursue policies aimed at massive employment generation in all sectors of the economy. Lalong added that this would enable government look into immediate challenges that have emerged out of its policies, saying “we cannot do this in an atmosphere devoid of industrial peace. He also said that as a Minister of Labour and Employment, he was yet to be served official communication of the NLC communiqué, following its NEC meeting as required by law. He further urged the NLC to do the needful by following laid down processes for handling such matters since the cabinet was on ground. He assured that all the issues raised by the NLC would be looked into one after the other. “Allow me to first express my sympathy and that of the government of President Bola Tinubu to Nigerians and in particular the workers. “That is over the challenges that have arisen from the removal of petrol subsidy and other policies of the government aimed at renewing hope for the future of our dear nation. “In light of these matters, I would like to reiterate my appeal to the leadership of the NLC to suspend the warning strike and subsequent future actions. “To allow us to work together to amicably resolve these issues rather than embark on actions that would further worsen the conditions of the citizens of Nigeria,” he said. He therefore announced that government would be meeting with the NLC by 3 p.m. on Monday (September 4)

Subsidy Removal: NLC declares 2-day warning strike

NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

The Nigeria Labour Congres (NLC) has declared a two-day warning strike, beginning on Tuesday, September 5, in protest against the Federal Government for failing to address the challenges caused by the removal of fuel subsidy. The NLC President, Joe Ajaero, made the declaration on Friday during a press conference at the Labour House in Abuja, while speaking on resolutions by the NLC National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting the previous day. The labour union is accusing the Federal Government of abandoning the negotiations and failing to implement some of the resolutions from previous meetings with the government. On August 2, organised labour protested what it described as the anti-people policies of the administration of President Bola Tinubu. The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and their affiliate unions demonstrated in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and several states, including Lagos, Abia, Plateau, Kaduna, Kano, Rivers, Zamfara, Katsina, Cross River, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kwara, Ogun, Imo, Ondo, and Edo. The protest followed a seven-day ultimatum issued to the Federal Government demanding “the immediate reversal of all anti-poor policies of the federal government including the recent hike in PMS (Premium Motor Spirit) price, increase in public school fees, the release of the eight months withheld salary of university lecturers and workers”. The union also demanded an upward review of the minimum wage from N30,000 to N200,000, saying that since the President’s “subsidy is gone” inauguration speech of May 29, 2023, the peace of mind of Nigerians has gone. Several meetings between the Presidency and the unions on palliatives for Nigerians suffering hardship in the wake of the petrol subsidy removal proved abortive. Last month, NLC president Joe Ajaero argued that the N5 billion approved for each state and the FCT to cushion the impact of fuel subsidy removal was inadequate to impact on the people. Ajaero had argued that if calculated, the N5 billion would not amount to N1,500 per person. According to him, it is unclear whether the money is a loan or a palliative to the states or to Nigerians. “The first increase in the pump price of petroleum products and the last one moved a lot of people from the borderline to a very high level of poverty,” he said. “Now, if you calculate it, you will discover that this will not translate to N1,500 per person and you ask: is that the impact? Is that really what we want to achieve? Let’s assume it’s a loan. What is really going to happen? Is it garbage in, garbage out? “If it is N5 billion, I think organised labour would want anybody to do the calculation and tell us how it is going to impact Nigerians on what is happening currently. If it is a loan, then it is too bad.”