Kemi Badenoch Becomes First African To Win Leadership of Britain’s Conservative Leadership Election

Kemi Badenoch, British Nigerian, on Saturday won the election to replace Rishi Sunak as leader of the Conservative Party. The BBC reported that Badenoch, 44, beat Robert Jenrick after a four-month contest, sparked by Sunak’s resignation in the wake of a humiliating election defeat. She is the first person of African heritage to lead the Tories. The vote saw a turnout of 72% according to Conservative MP, Bob Blackman. Most people said they had not formed an opinion of Ms Badenoch yet, according to a YouGov poll. But 40 per cent of those questioned said they disliked her. Former justice secretary Robert Buckland said that as a leader Ms Badenoch “will be an excellent person to work with”, having seen her strong character and abilities first-hand when they worked in government together. “She knows that the party’s values need to be reset and that we’ve got to win trust as without trust, we don’t get anywhere in terms of electoral success,” he added. “I think she better understands that more than most and that’s why she deserved to win.” The role as opposition leader was an “unenviable task” and Ms Badenoch “will not be under any doubt about the scale of work ahead to win back power”, he added. “She is the person who had more MP support than any other in the leadership race so people need to knuckle down and get on with the job of opposing the government, not opposing each other.” He added that he hoped a “new phase in politics” would see Ms Badenoch unite the party and “the Tories regrouping”. He also suggested that she listens to think tanks and policy units who have the expertise to provide her with new and innovative policies. “It’s going to be very hard and unglamorous, but I believe Kemi has the strength of spirit to do it,” he said

UK Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff Resigns

Sue Gray, the Chief of Staff to UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, has officially stepped down from her position.  Gray is expected to assume a new responsibility as the Prime Minister’s envoy for nations and regions.  This move follows her involvement in internal disagreements, particularly concerning her salary, which was reportedly higher than the Prime Minister’s. Morgan McSweeney, who previously served as the Prime Minister’s Chief Adviser, will take over from Gray.  Keir Starmer expressed gratitude for Gray’s contributions, especially for her role in preparing the government for its current agenda.  Gray, who gained attention for her investigation into the pandemic-related parties at Downing Street, leaves amid ongoing discussions regarding her influence within Downing Street.

Sunak Appoints Cabinet Members Despite Losing To Starmer

In a significant reshuffling following the Conservative Party’s historic election loss in the United Kingdom, British opposition leader, Rishi Sunak announced his shadow cabinet on Monday. Some senior ministers have returned to roles they previously held in government, despite the recent parliamentary election defeat. Notably, former Foreign Secretary David Cameron has resigned. Andrew Mitchell is also set to manage foreign policy within the interim shadow cabinet, a team of senior spokespeople appointed by the opposition leader to mirror the government’s cabinet. The Conservative Party’s loss marked a historic moment, with several high-profile ministers, including former Defence Secretary Grant Shapps, losing their seats. The shadow cabinet will see James Cleverly continue his role with the Home Office, while James Cartlidge will handle defence matters, according to a party statement. “The Conservative Party has had a difficult election and it is important that we regroup and reflect on these results,” stated the new interim Chairman Richard Fuller. “We should also challenge ourselves candidly and deeply on the strengths of the Conservative Party across the country and outline where improvements can be made.” Chris Philp has been appointed Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, succeeding Penny Mordaunt, who was among the senior lawmakers to lose their seats. Former business minister Kemi Badenoch will now oversee the “levelling up” agenda. Jeremy Hunt will continue with the finance brief, while former Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden takes on the role of deputy leader of the opposition.

Tinubu, Peter Obi Congratulate UK Prime Minister- Elect

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated Sir Keir Starmer, leader of the Labour Party, on their triumph in the United Kingdom general election. Starmer’s Labour Party secured the required 326 parliamentary seats, ensuring their victory and his appointment as the next Prime Minister.  Following the election, former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak acknowledged the Conservative Party’s loss and resigned, submitting his resignation to the King.  In a statement issued on Friday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, Tinubu commended Starmer for his resilience and leadership as the opposition leader.  He praised the Labour Party’s ability to reform and mobilize, attributing their success to Starmer’s leadership.  Tinubu also emphasized the strong democratic model of the UK and its long-standing partnership with Nigeria, expressing a desire to deepen bilateral relations and enhance democratic institutions. Additionally, Peter Obi, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party in Nigeria, reacted to the Labour Party’s victory in the UK.  Through a statement on his X account, Obi congratulated Starmer and the Labour Party, expressing hope that the win would herald a new and better chapter for UK residents.  He also called for stronger ties between the new UK government and Nigeria, highlighting the various challenges Nigeria faces, including insecurity, education, healthcare, and poverty.  Obi stressed the potential benefits of UK support in addressing these issues and wished Starmer a successful tenure.

How I still get paid as a civil servant in Nigeria, UK cab driver confesses

Despite leaving Nigeria for the UK two years ago, Sabitu Adams gets paid each month as a junior official at a government agency back home. Adams, who now works as a taxi driver in the UK, had his name changed by a BBC report to protect his identity. The taxi driver has yet to resign from his job in Nigeria. Adams is one of the thousands of ghost workers, a rampant issue in the Nigerian civil service. Each year, the government carries out biometric verifications and reels out numbers representing discovered ghost workers, and money saved. But no one is ever announced to have been arrested or prosecuted. Last week, President Bola Tinubu directed that all civil servants drawing salaries from the government after relocating abroad should be made to refund the money. Tinubu also ordered that the culprits’ supervisors and department heads be punished for aiding and abetting the fraud while they were in charge. Adams told the BBC that he was not worried about the president’s directives because he earned better as a taxi driver in the UK. “When I heard about the president’s directive, I smiled because I know I am doing better here – and not worried,” the 36-year-old said. The cab driver said he did not resign “in case I choose to go back to my job after a few years”. Adams was quoted as saying he had an arrangement with his boss in Nigeria who is a “relative”.

Mikel Obi Undergoes Surgery in UK

Nigerian footballer, Mikel Obi has revealed that he recently underwent surgery at the Princess Grace Hospital in the United Kingdom. The football star revealed this in photos shared on his Instagram story on Saturday. He, however, did not disclose the nature of the surgery. Sharing a picture he took before the operation, he wrote, “Pre-op, let’s go.” Another picture of him lying on the bed at the hospital post-surgery was captioned, “All good, #PostOp.” In April 2017, Obi was reported to have undergone a successful surgery in the UK, after which he began rehabilitation for proper recovery.

Breaking! UK Bans Nigerian Health Workers, Others From Bringing Family Members

In a move aimed at reducing net migration and addressing visa abuse, the UK Home Office has announced a ban on health workers bringing dependants to the country.  The decision, part of a broader plan to control legal migration, seeks to cut down on unsustainable levels of immigration. Last year, 120,000 dependants accompanied 100,000 workers to the UK, prompting the government to take action.  Care providers sponsoring migrants will now need to register with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to curb exploitation and abuse in the sector. Home Secretary James Cleverly MP stated, “Our plan is robust but fair – protecting British workers while ensuring the very best international talent can work and study here.” The government aims to prevent the undercutting of British workers by raising the salary threshold for skilled workers and removing the 20% ‘going-rate’ discount for migrant workers in shortage occupations. Minister for Social Care Helen Whately MP emphasized the need for an ethical and sustainable approach, stating, “International recruitment and more immigration are not long-term solutions to our social care needs.”  The government is simultaneously investing in the domestic workforce through social care career reforms and qualifications. In addition to these measures, the Home Secretary announced a review of the graduate route for international students to prevent abuse and maintain the integrity of UK higher education.  The upcoming rules, set to be laid in Parliament on March 14, signify a determined effort to fulfill the government’s commitment to substantially reduce migration numbers.