APC begs Nigerians to shun nationwide protest over hardship

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The national working committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has urged Nigerians to refrain from participating in the planned protest against President Bola Tinubu’s administration scheduled for August 1-10. In a briefing held in Abuja on Wednesday, following the NWC’s 153rd meeting, APC National Secretary Surajudeen Basiru made this appeal. He encouraged Nigerians to trust in the current government’s ability to address the country’s economic issues. “The APC, alongside President Tinubu, appeals to those planning protests to reconsider their plans,” Basiru stated. “We ask for confidence in the government’s efforts to resolve the nation’s economic challenges.” Basiru acknowledged that the Tinubu administration, since its inception in 2023, has faced significant economic hurdles. He assured that the president is implementing policies and programs aimed at alleviating these issues and providing relief to citizens in the near future. He also noted that many of the country’s economic problems are global in nature and require comprehensive solutions. Some issues raised by protest organizers are political or constitutional and can only be addressed through amendments, which are currently underway in the National Assembly. Basiru urged those planning the protests to have faith in President Tinubu’s ongoing efforts to improve the economy and assured that current difficulties would eventually be resolved. He also called on parents and concerned citizens to monitor their children and wards to prevent them from being used to incite disorder. Additionally, he announced that the party’s chairpersons from the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have been summoned for an emergency meeting to further discuss the matter.
BREAKING: We Won’t Allow Violence Under Guise Of Copying Kenya Protests – IGP

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, on Tuesday, warned against any violence under guise of replicating the protest which shook Kenya. Following some policies which aggrieved Kenyans considered anti-masses, young persons trooped to the parliament and strategic places across Kenya last month. The protest had led to some reforms, including cabinet reshuffle. Some groups are currently mobilising for protest under the theme #EndBadGovernance But speaking at the Force Headquarters in Abuja during a strategic meeting with top police officers from the rank of Commissioners of Police, Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) and the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG), on Tuesday, Egbetokun advised those planning the protest to jettison the idea, saying the police would not fold their arms watching them engaging in violence. The police boss said the force’s decision was based on what happened during the last #EndSARS protest nationwide, insisting that the police, particularly has not been relieved of the trauma they passed through. The top cop said, “Our position is that the proposed violent protests are ill-advised and should be jettisoned fortuitously. We have the responsibility to protect properties and everyone, irrespective of their race, colour, ethnicity, or tribe, who are lawfully embarking on their daily activities. “We will, therefore, not sit back and fold our arms to watch violent activities unleash violence on our peaceful communities or destroy any of our national critical infrastructure and assets again.” According to him, the police have run background checks on many of the organisers and sponsors of the protest, it was found out that many of them are not living in Nigeria, and that they are only out to instigate crisis in the country. He added, “Before concluding this address, it is important I address an issue of urgent national importance which appears to have gained some momentum, particularly on social media, in the past few weeks. “Some groups of people, self-appointed crusaders and influencers, have been strategising and mobilizing potential protesters to unleash terror in the land under the guise of replicating the recent Kenya protests. “While the force acknowledges the right to peaceful protest as enshrined in our constitution, we must ensure that these protests do not snowball into violence or disorder. “As a nation, we have had more than our fair share of violent protests, with rather dastardly consequences. The last #EndSARS protest led to one-tenth destruction of public assets, including police stations, courts, and transport infrastructure, and the loss of several lives. “Tales of sorrow, tears, and blood followed what was supposedly intended to be a well-intentioned exercise. Rather than lead to any positive outcome, EndSars merely aggravated crime rates and insecurity in several parts of the country. “Indeed, we are yet to fully recover from the huge economic losses and deep-seated psychological and emotional trauma inflicted upon our people by these protests.” Fielding questions from journalists, Egbetokun also said that measures are in place to ensure that any hoodlums attempting to disguise themselves as protesters will be apprehended. He stated, “We have mapped out plans to ensure that no individual or group succeeds in fostering a reign of terror and anarchy on other law-abiding and dissolving Nigerians. “Consequently, I want to seize this opportunity to sound the note of serious warning to hoodlums who may want to take laws into their own hands in the name of protests. Do not worry.”
Stop Attack On Tinubu Or Lose Election In 2027 – North-East Elders Warn Ndume

The Chief Whip of the 10th Senate, Ali Ndume, has been warned by the Coalition of Northeast Elders Forum (CNEF) to stop attacking President Bola Tinubu. The coalition, which alleged that Ndume’s 20 years in the National Assembly have not helped Borno State, threatened to mobilize voters against him in 2027 if he keeps attacking the President. According to the elders, Ndume should rather support his brother from Borno, Vice President Kashim Shettima, instead of speaking against Tinubu. The Northeast elders who asked Ndume to render an account of his stewardship were angry at the Senator’s recent outburst about President Tinubu’s administration, which they described as unnecessary. The Coalition of North-East Elders Forum questioned the rationale behind such, when he is expected to support the President to tackle insecurity and other challenges caused by insurgents and bandits in Borno and the Northern region. The elders alleged, “Senator Ndume did attack the administration of President Bola Tinubu, saying it’s run by kakistocrats—those deemed the least qualified and most unscrupulous citizens—and kleptocrats, who are merely in power to steal.” In reaction to the outburst, the group, in a statement signed by the Coordinator, Ali Ibrahim Sheriff, said what was “expected from Senator Ali Ndume now is to work closely with the President; Vice President, who is from same Borno with him and security agencies to address the unprovoked attacks by insurgents and bandits in the North. “As concerned elders from the Northeast geo-political zone, we wonder why during the days of President Buhari he chose to be silent amid heightened problems of insecurity; pervasive hunger, looting of public funds and bad governance.” While telling the Chief Whip of the Senate to be sensitive to the yearnings of his people in Borno and the entire North, they asked him to give an account of his stewardship over the last 20 years as a lawmaker. They said, “If leadership is as easy as that, we make bold to ask, all these years, how many Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) has he trained, educated and empowered with funds allocated to him?” “Ndume should come out boldly to render an account of his stewardship or we mobilise voters against him come 2027.” The elders, however, called on Northerners to shun what they termed, “Ndume’s divisive vituperations” and support the Tinubu and Shettima’s administration to tackle the security challenges in the North and in other parts of the country.
State of the Nation: Southern and Middle Belt Leaders Forum Calls for Urgent Action

Worried by the growing spate of insecurity and mass suffering that is largely caused by recent economic policies of government, the Southern and Middle Belt Leaders Forum (SMBLF) have called on president Bola Tinubu to take urgent steps to stem the slide into anarchy. Rising from their meeting convened in Abuja on wednesday, the group also reminded the president of what they referred to as his democratic posture and urged him to commence measures aimed at reconstructing the polity. The meeting chaired by Chief Dr. Edwin Kiagbodo Clark, OFR, CON, saw the participation of prominent figures including Chief Ayo Adebanjo of Afenifere, Chief Engr (Dr) Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, President General, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, Dr. Pogu Bitrus of the Middle Belt Forum (MBF) and Senator Emmanuel Ibok Essien, National Chairman of PANDEF, among others. Discussions at the meeting centred primarily on the state of the Nigerian nation, the national economy, and the escalating insecurity plaguing various regions of the country. The leaders expressed deep concern over the continued fracture and retrogression of the nation due to what they termed as a faulty federal system. Specifically, the SMBLF called upon President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, to demonstrate leadership in championing the cause of true federalism, citing his past advocacy efforts in this regard. They urged President Tinubu to initiate the process of constitutional amendment by implementing both the 2014 National Conference Report and the El Rufai Committee Report on True Federalism of 2018. While addressing the rising insecurity, the forum noted with alarm the pervasive threat posed by terrorists, bandits, kidnappers, and other criminal elements across the country. They decried the deteriorating security situation in states such as Plateau, Ekiti, Kwara, Kogi, Benue, and the FCT, calling on the federal government to take decisive action to safeguard citizens’ lives and property. Furthermore, the SMBLF emphasized the urgent need for a comprehensive overhaul of the country’s security architecture, advocating for increased federal government support for state and community policing efforts, condemneding the recent formation of an ethnic militia by Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore in Nasarawa State, stating that the action could escalate ethnic tensions and undermine national unity. On the economic front, the forum highlighted the worsening poverty levels in the country, which they described as a significant threat to the federation’s stability. They called on President Tinubu and his administration to devise practical solutions to address the economic challenges facing Nigerians, particularly in light of the steep depreciation of the Nigerian Naira. Additionally, the SMBLF addressed the situation of Nnamdi Kanu, condemning his continued incarceration and its implications for peace and security in the Southeast. They urged President Tinubu to uphold the rule of law and ensure the obedience of all court rulings concerning Kanu’s case. The forum also expressed concerns about the political situation in Rivers State, urging President Tinubu to review decisions to ensure compliance with the constitution and foster lasting peace in the state. Finally, the SMBLF discussed recent developments in neighboring West African countries, calling on President Tinubu to take proactive steps to promote unity and welfare within the region. In conclusion, the Southern and Middle Belt Leaders Forum reiterated its commitment to national unity, peace, equity, fairness, and justice, underscoring the importance of addressing these critical issues for the nation’s progress.