BREAKING:Tinubu meets governors in Aso Villa

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma President Bola Tinubu is currently meeting with some governors at the presidential Villa in Abuja. The meeting followed the calling off of the National Executive Council (NEC) that was earlier scheduled for Thursday. The state chief executives were ferried in a single Coaster bus to president’s office at about 1.20 pm. Bwala meets Tinubu in Aso Rock, alleges foreign connection to planned protest Even though the agenda of the meeting has not been made public, it may not be unconnected with the ongoing hardship in the country and efforts to ameliorate the situation. The federal government is also striving to avert the planned protest by youths against the high cost of living. The issue is likely to feature prominently in the meeting. Among the governors sighted coming in for the meeting are the chairman of Progressives Governors Forum and Governor of Imo, Hope Uzodinma, and his counterparts from Kebbi, Kaduna, Benue, Jigawa, Ekiti, Ondo; the deputy governor of Nasarawa, among others.
N62,000 Minimum Wage: Beware of the rage of the people-Benson Upah

If the gathering storm is to be taken as a reliable pointer, then Nigeria may be headed for another major labour crisis as organized labour has not only rejected N62,000 minimum wage offered by government but cautioned that “some state governors, were behind the mischief.” Speaking at a live television programme this Monday morning, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Head of Information and Public Affairs, Mr. Benson Upah disclosed that about five state governors were bent on “throwing spanners to the works”. Even as he declined mentioning the names of these governors, the NLC spokesman cautioned the mischief makers to be aware that “the rage of labour is more manageable than the rage of the people.” Mr. Upah said that contrary to the impression being given to the Nigerian public about the lack of capacity, government revenue has now shot up as the amount being shared by the three tiers of government has moved from N700billion to N1.3trillion. He therefore assured that “Labour is not being difficult but talking about something which is practical and reasonable.” Pressed to state what shall be the next action of organized labour, Mr. Upah, who was guest at the Morning Show on Arise TV said, “appropriate organs of labour shall meet and take a decision.” He went further to state, “Our troops, our resources, our reaction time, our good intentions are intact. Appropriate organs of the unions will reconvene and take the right action.” Organised labour, comprising of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have been engaged in protracted negotiations over a new minimum wage, or at best a living wage. The big elephant at the room during these meetings had been the disproportionate pay politicians and other public office holders approve for themselves as compared to the very poor take home pay of the average worker. The current agitation for a higher pay had been triggered by ongoing hash economic reforms embarked upon by the Bola Ahmad Tinubu Presidency. First was the withdrawal of controversial subsidy on petrol. This was followed by the liberaisation of the foreign exchange market and the 240% upward review of electricity tariff. The combined effect of these changes had led to sudden rise in prices of foodstuff and essential services like the cost of transportation and medicaments. Following its rejection of the N62,000 offered by the federal and subnational governments, organized labour has scheduled a National Executive Council (NEC) meeting for tomorrow, Tuesday to deliberate on the next line of action.
LG autonomy: S/Court gives Govs 7 days to respond Suit

The Supreme Court, Thursday, gave the 36 State Governors seven days to file their defence in reponse to the Federal Government suit seeking autonomy for 774 local governments in the country. The Apex court also ordered the AGF to, upon receipt of the governors defence, file his reply within two days. The seven-man panel led by Justice Garba Lawal issued the order while ruling on an application for an abridgment of time argued by the Attorney General of Federation ( AGF) Lateef Fagebemi SAN. The apex court said that the decision of the court was predicated on the national urgency of the suit and the non objection from the attorneys general of the states of the federation. It insisted that filing of all processes and exchanging of same must be completed within the time. Justice Lawal ordered that the 8 states that were not in attendance at Thursdays proceedings must be served with fresh hearing notice. The 8 states are Borno, Kano, Kogi, Niger, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, and Sokoto, whose attorneys general were absent in court despite being served with hearing notice. In the meantime, the matter is adjourned to June 13 for hearing of the suit. The FG, through the AGF, Prince Lateef Fagbemi SAN, dragged the 36 state governors to the supreme court over alleged misconduct in the local government administration. Specifically, the AGF is seeking full autonomy for LG as third tiers of government in the country. The Governors were sued through their respective State Attorneys General. In the suit marked SC/CV/343/2024, the AGF is praying the Apex Court for an order prohibiting State Governors from unilateral, arbitrary and unlawful dissolution of democratically elected local government leaders for local governments.. In the originating summons, AGF is also praying the Apex Court for an order permitting the funds standing in the credits of local governments to be directly channelled to them from the Federation Account in line with the provisions of the Constitution as against the alleged unlawful joint accounts created by governors. The summon, personally signed by AGF, seeks an order of the Apex Court stopping governors from constituting Caretaker Committees to run the affairs of local governments as against the Constitutionally recognized and guaranteed democratically system. It also applied for an order of injunction restraining the governors, their agents and privies from receiving, spending or tampering with funds released from the Federation Account for the benefits of local governments when no democratically elected local government system is put in place in the states.
FG drags 36 state Govs to S/Court, seeks autonomy for LGAs

The Federal Government, through the the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice (AGF), Prince Lateef Fagbemi SAN,has dragged the 36 state governors to the supreme court over alleged misconduct in the local government administration. Specifically, the AGF is seeking full autonomy for LG as third tiers of government in the country. The Governors were sued through their respective State Attorneys General. In the suit marked SC/CV/343/2024, the AGF is praying the Apex Court for an order prohibiting State Governors from unilateral, arbitrary and unlawful dissolution of democratically elected local government leaders for local governments.. In the originating summons, AGF is also praying the Apex Court for an order permitting the funds standing in the credits of local governments to be directly channelled to them from the Federation Account in line with the provisions of the Constitution as against the alleged unlawful joint accounts created by governors. The summon personally signed by AGF, seeks an order of the Apex Court stopping governors from constituting Caretaker Committees to run the affairs of local governments as against the Constitutionally recognized and guaranteed democratically system. It also applied for an order of injunction restraining the governors, their agents and privies from receiving, spending or tampering with funds released from the Federation Account for the benefits of local governments when no democratically elected local government system is put in place in the states. The suit is predicted on 27 grounds among which are that the Nigeria Federation is a creation of the 1999 Constitution with President as Head of the Federal Executive arm of the Federation and has sworn to uphold and give effects to the provisions of the Constitution. *That the governors represent the component states of the Federation with Executive Governors who have also sworn to uphold the Constitution and to at all times,give effects to the Constitution and that the Constitution, being the supreme law, has binding force all over the Federation of Nigeria. * That the Constitution of Nigeria recognizes federal, states and local governments as three tiers of government and that the three recognized tiers of government draw funds for their operation and functioning from the Federation Account created by the Constitution. *That by the provisions of the Constitution, there must be a democratically elected local government system and that the Constitution has not made provisions for any other systems of governance at the local government level other than democratically elected local government system. *That in the face of the clear provisions of the Constitution, the governors have failed and refused to put in place a democratically elected local government system even where no state of emergency has been declared to warrant the suspension of democratic institutions in the state. *That the failure of the governors to put democratically elected local government system in place, is a deliberate subversion of the 1999 Constitution which they and the President have sworn to uphold. *That all efforts to make the governors comply with the dictates of the 1999 Constitution in terms of putting in place, a democratically elected local government system, has not yielded any result and that to continue to disburse funds from the Federation Account to governors for non existing democratically elected local government is to undermine the sanctity of the 1999 Constitution. *That in the face of the violations of the 1999 Constitution, the federal government is not obligated under section 162 of the Constitution to pay any State, funds standing to the credit of local governments where no democratically elected local government is in place. Fagbemi SAN therefore asked the Apex Court to invoke sections 1, 4, 5, 7 and 14 of the Constitution to declare that the State Governors and State Houses of Assembly are under obligation to ensure democratically system at the third tier of government in Nigeria and to also invoke the same sections to hold that the governors cannot lawfully dissolve democratically elected local government coincils. The AGF also prayed for invocation of sections 1, 4, 5, 7 and 14 of the Constitution to declare that dissolution of democratically elected local government Councils by the Governors or anyone using the State powers derivable from laws enacted by the State Houses of Assembly or any Executive Order is unlawful, unconstitutional, null and void. A 13-paragragh affidavit in support of the originating summons deposed to by one Kelechi Ohaeri from the Federal Ministry of Justice averred that the AGF took out the suit against the Governors under the original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court on behalf of the Federal Government. The deponent asserted that local government system recognized by the Constitution is a democratically elected local government coincils and that the amount due to local government Councils from the Federation Account is to be paid to local government system recognized by the Constitution. The deponent sought to tender during hearing, Daily Post online publication of January 29, 2024 titled “LG Administration; 15 Govs under scrutiny over Constitutional breach”, Vanguard online special report of September 12, 2023, Guardian editorial of January 23, 2024, Premium Times online publication of December 1, 2023, Vanguard online publication of December 1, 2023 and Arise online news of December 2, 2023 to justify the national importance public interest on the issues of autonomy for local governments in Nigeria. Hearing on the suit is fixed for Thursday, May 30.
Tinubu, Governors To Consider Establishment Of State Police

President Bola Tinubu, alongside the 36 governors, has endorsed the establishment of state police. The agreement was made during an emergency meeting held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday. The Minister of Information and National Orientation revealed that discussions surrounding state police have gained momentum, with the federal and state governments recognizing the necessity of such a development. The Minister emphasized that while this marks a significant shift, further meetings will be conducted to refine the modalities for implementing state police across the country. He said, “But now, there is also a discussion around the issue of state police. The federal government and state governments are mulling the possibility of setting up state police. “Of course, this is still going to be further discussed, a lot of work still has to be done in that direction. But what the federal government and state governments are agreeing to the necessity of having state policy. “Now, this is a significant shift. But like I said, more works need to be done in that direction. A lot of meetings will have to happen between different government and sub nationals to see the modalities of achieving this.