Tinubu congratulates Senegal’s president-elect Bassirou Diomaye Faye

President Bola Tinubu has congratulated Bassirou Diomaye Faye on his election as the president of the Republic of Senegal, wishing him success as he takes on the important job of leading the good people of Senegal. This was disclosed in a statement issued by the special adviser to the president on media and publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, on Wednesday, March 27. Part of the statement reads: “President Bola Tinubu extends his congratulations to Mr. Bassirou Diomaye Faye on his election as the President of the Republic of Senegal. “President Tinubu notes that President-elect Faye comes with great promise and a sterling record, wishing him success as he takes on this important job of leading the good people of Senegal. “The President also congratulates His Excellency, President Macky Sall, for overseeing an election that has been widely adjudged as peaceful and transparent. “President Tinubu states that the success of the presidential election in Senegal and the successful conduct of the general election in Liberia a few months ago have affirmed his long-held conviction that the taproot of democracy is deeply established in West Africa and will only grow stronger as it is watered by good governance, justice, and fairness to all.”

Macky Sall Postpones Senegal Presidential Election

Macky Sall, president of Senegal, has announced a postponement of the February 25 presidential election.  Sall made the announcement on Saturday during a national broadcast wherein he also called for dialogue with stakeholders. “I will initiate an open national dialogue to bring together the conditions for a free, transparent and inclusive election in a peaceful and reconciled Senegal,” Sall said. Sall has been president of Senegal since 2012 and recently announced that he would not be seeking a third term. The Senegalese 2021 constitution only allows a president to serve for five years and is limited to two terms. The president, who had previously hinted at a third term as granted by the constitutional council, recently decided to step down and announced Amadou Ba, prime minister, as his preferred successor. He reiterated on Saturday that he would not be seeking a third term. “As for me, my solemn commitment not to run for the presidential election remains unchanged,” Sall said. Some civil society organisations had expressed concerns on issues relating to the electoral process.