BREAKING: We Won’t Allow Violence Under Guise Of Copying Kenya Protests – IGP

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, on Tuesday, warned against any violence under guise of replicating the protest which shook Kenya. Following some policies which aggrieved Kenyans considered anti-masses, young persons trooped to the parliament and strategic places across Kenya last month. The protest had led to some reforms, including cabinet reshuffle. Some groups are currently mobilising for protest under the theme #EndBadGovernance But speaking at the Force Headquarters in Abuja during a strategic meeting with top police officers from the rank of Commissioners of Police, Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) and the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG), on Tuesday, Egbetokun advised those planning the protest to jettison the idea, saying the police would not fold their arms watching them engaging in violence. The police boss said the force’s decision was based on what happened during the last #EndSARS protest nationwide, insisting that the police, particularly has not been relieved of the trauma they passed through. The top cop said, “Our position is that the proposed violent protests are ill-advised and should be jettisoned fortuitously. We have the responsibility to protect properties and everyone, irrespective of their race, colour, ethnicity, or tribe, who are lawfully embarking on their daily activities. “We will, therefore, not sit back and fold our arms to watch violent activities unleash violence on our peaceful communities or destroy any of our national critical infrastructure and assets again.” According to him, the police have run background checks on many of the organisers and sponsors of the protest, it was found out that many of them are not living in Nigeria, and that they are only out to instigate crisis in the country. He added, “Before concluding this address, it is important I address an issue of urgent national importance which appears to have gained some momentum, particularly on social media, in the past few weeks. “Some groups of people, self-appointed crusaders and influencers, have been strategising and mobilizing potential protesters to unleash terror in the land under the guise of replicating the recent Kenya protests. “While the force acknowledges the right to peaceful protest as enshrined in our constitution, we must ensure that these protests do not snowball into violence or disorder. “As a nation, we have had more than our fair share of violent protests, with rather dastardly consequences. The last #EndSARS protest led to one-tenth destruction of public assets, including police stations, courts, and transport infrastructure, and the loss of several lives. “Tales of sorrow, tears, and blood followed what was supposedly intended to be a well-intentioned exercise. Rather than lead to any positive outcome, EndSars merely aggravated crime rates and insecurity in several parts of the country. “Indeed, we are yet to fully recover from the huge economic losses and deep-seated psychological and emotional trauma inflicted upon our people by these protests.” Fielding questions from journalists, Egbetokun also said that measures are in place to ensure that any hoodlums attempting to disguise themselves as protesters will be apprehended. He stated, “We have mapped out plans to ensure that no individual or group succeeds in fostering a reign of terror and anarchy on other law-abiding and dissolving Nigerians. “Consequently, I want to seize this opportunity to sound the note of serious warning to hoodlums who may want to take laws into their own hands in the name of protests. Do not worry.”
Subsidy Removal: FG initiates contempt suit against NLC, TUC amid protests

The Federal Government has taken legal action against the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) for allegedly defying a court order that prohibits the unions from engaging in industrial action. This “notice of consequences of disobedience to order of court,” also known as “Form 48,” was filed in the National Industrial Court in Abuja on Wednesday. The notice warns the NLC and TUC that failure to comply with the court’s directions, as delivered by Honourable Justice Y. Anuwe on June 5, 2023, will result in contempt of court charges and possible imprisonment. In response to the perceived “anti-people” policies of the President Bola Tinubu administration, the Organised Labour initiated protests in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, as well as in various states, including Lagos, Benue, Abia, Plateau, Kaduna, Kano, Rivers, Zamfara, Katsina, Cross River, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kwara, Ogun, Imo, Ondo, and Edo. Key figures from the NLC and TUC, accompanied by numerous members, led the protest in the Federal Capital Territory, commencing from the Unity Fountain. Additionally, affiliated unions, such as the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), the National Union of Electricity Employees of Nigeria (NUEE), the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), participated in the nationwide demonstration.
Angry protesters pull down NASS Complex gate

*We’ll address your demands within 7 days- Senate The members of the organised Labour Unions protesting the removal of fuel subsidy on Wednesday pulled down the gates of the National Assembly in Abuja. The protesters numbering over 5,000, first converged at the Unity Fountain, Abuja, from where they matched to the Federal Ministry of Justice before proceeding to the National Assembly. However, following the failure of the security officials to adhere and open the gate to them, the angry protesters pulled down the gates and thronged into the assembly complex to vent their anger. The organised labour comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) are currently protesting in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Meanwhile, the National Assembly (NASS) has pledged to review and address the organised Labour demands within the next one week. The Senate President, Godswill Akpabio said this when organised labour took its mass protest to the National Assembly Complex where it submitted a list of its demands on Wednesday in Abuja. The mass protest was organised by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) over anti-poor and workers policies of the Federal Government. The protesters carried placards with inscriptions such as; “We condemn increase in school fees, “Stop importation of Petrol, Revive the Refineries,” and” Increase in price of fuel responsible for inflation, poverty among others. Akpabio, who was represented by Senate Chief Whip, Ali Ndume, assured the protesting workers that NASS was in support of their struggle. “We have keenly followed what is going on when we realized that there was a breakdown in the discussions between the Presidency and the NLC. I want to assure you that we will find a permanent solution to this. “Please give us one week and we will make progress and if you are not satisfied with the progress we are making, then you can take further action,” he said. He also said that a committee had been set up to look at the demands of organized labour. He added that by the close of the day or tomorrow, they will call the first meeting with labour to start the discussions and the engagements would continue. “We will do our best as your representatives to come out with solutions acceptable to you and realistic enough,” he said. Ndume also assured that the letter which contained their demands and terms of reference would be handed over to the leadership of the senate. Earlier, NLC President, Mr Joe Ajaero said the nationwide mass protest was to express workers’ frustrations and grievances about the anti-poor policies that had brought hardship to Nigerians. He added, ”For almost two months now, we have been engaged in discussions without fruitful motion. We got frustrated.” He, however, said that the demands of the labour include the immediate implementation of the resolutions jointly signed with organised Labour and government. Ajaero also called for the immediate reversal of all anti-poor policies of government including the recent hike in PMS price, school fees and VAT. He also urged the Federal Government to fix the country’s local refineries in Port Harcourt, Warri and Kaduna. According to him, release the eight months withheld salaries of the university lectures and workers. “Accord appropriate recognition and support to the Presidential Steering Committee and the work of its Subcommittees. “Also put a stop to in human actions and policies of government,” he added. Also speaking, Mr Festus Osifo, TUC President called for the reduction in the cost of governance. Osifo said that the governments was “insensitive to the plight of the masses.” “The Nigerian masses have been battered. They have gone through excruciating pains but in all of this, we have not heard what the President has to say about the cost of governance. “We want you in the National Assembly to show sacrifice. We want you to cut down your budget. “We want you to buy Nigerian made cars and not imported vehicles because you are creating jobs over there and importing poverty here. “We want you to show leadership because we elected you to work for us,” he said.