Uzodimma Dissolves Imo State Cabinet

Governor Hope Uzodomma of Imo State has dissolved the State Executive Council and sacked the Local Government Area Chairmen. The governor disclosed this on Tuesday during a state executive council meeting at the Sam Mbawke Executive Chambers at the Government House, Owerri. Those affected included the Secretary to the State Government, Commissioners, Special Advisers and Senior Special Advisers, the Chief of Staff, and the Chief Press Secretary. While dissolving the cabinet, Uzodomma thanked his former appointees for their contributions towards the success of his administration during his first term in office. He said the dissolution has become necessary to rejig the new administration for optimum performance and new direction and to meet up with the realities of the moment. The governor also apologised for any wrongdoing to any appointee during his first tenure and promised to carry everyone along in his second tenure in the interest and development of the state. Uzodimma is expected to constitute a new cabinet by sending commissioner-nominees to the state assembly for confirmation. Governor Uzodinma and his deputy, Lady Chinyere Ekomaru, on Monday, took their oath of offices at the Dan Ayiam Stadium in Owerri, the Imo State capital. President Bola Tinubu, ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo, the Senate President Godswill Akpabio, the Speaker of the House of Representative Tajudeen Abbas, and other All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftains were among those in attendance.
S’Court reserves judgment on Nasarawa guber appeal

The Supreme Court of Nigeria, Tuesday, reserved judgment in the Petition seeking to sack the incumbent governor of Nasarawa State, Abdullahi Sule of the All Progressive Congress (APC). The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and its governorship candidate, Hon Emmanuel David Ombugadu, is praying the apex court to set aside the November 23 judgment of the Court of Appeal which upheld Sule as the lawfully elected governor. The Petitioners, through Kanu Agabi SAN submitted that the October 2, 2023 judgment of the Nasarawa State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal in favour of PDP and Ombugadu be restored. According to him, the Court of Appeal unjustly nullified the Tribunal’s judgment and unjustly declared Sule as winner of the March 18 gubernatorial election. Agabi specifically called that the Supreme Court should allow the votes of Nasarawa state people to count and be meaningful be declaring PDP and Ombugadu as winners as rightly done by the Tribunal. However, Sule and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and APC, prayed court to dismiss the appeal for want of merit. APC lawyers, led by Akin Olujinmi SAN while adopting his brief of arguments asked the apex court to carefully looked into the cited authorities to back up their request for dismissal of the case. After taking arguments from lawyers, Justice Kekere-Ekun announced that judgment has been reserved and that the date for its delivery would be communicated to parties involved. The Appeal Court had on November 23 last year reversed the sack of Gov Sule by the State Election Petitions Tribunal in its judgment delivered on October 2. The Appellate Court held that the Tribunal headed by Ezekiel Ajayi acted in grave error in using witness statements on oath, not front-loaded as required by law to arrive at the unjust conclusion of nullifying the election of the governor. In a judgment delivered by Justice Uchechukwu Onyemenam, the Court of Appeal had said the Tribunal was legally bound to act on witness statements filed along with the petition or front-loaded within 21 days stipulated by law. The Court held that no petition can lawfully be amended outside the 21 days allowed by law as wrongly done by the Tribunal. “Since the statements used by the Tribunal to sack the Governor were not front-loaded in compliance with the law, the statements were a product of illegality with no probate value for a law Court to act upon”. The Court also dismissed the over-voting issues used to annul the election, adding that the allegations were not established by law. Justice Onyemenam held that the petition by the Governorship candidate of the PDP was a nullity and invalid on the grounds that the jurisdictional issues raised by the governor were unlawfully ignored by the Tribunal. The Court of Appeal ruled that the Tribunal denied the Governor a fair hearing by not considering and making findings on the issues of jurisdiction raised at the hearing of the petition. Justice Onyemenam agreed that the denial of a fair hearing against the governor was fatal and tendered all decisions of the Tribunal invalid. In all, the Court of Appeal reversed all orders made against the governor and INEC and affirmed Sule as the lawfully elected governor of the state. INEC had declared Sule the winner of the governorship election on the grounds that he polled a total of 347,209 votes to defeat his closest opponent David Emmanuel Ombugadu who secured 283,016 votes.
Rivers Guber: S’Court dismisses APM’s appeal against Fubara

The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed the appeal of the Allied People’s Movement against the victory of Rivers State governor, Siminalayi Fubara. The five-member panel of the apex court led by Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun also reserved judgment in the appeal by the All Progressives Congress and its candidate, Patrick Tonye-Cole. The counsel for the APM and its candidate in the March 18 election, Innocent Kere, at proceedings on Monday opted to withdraw the appeal. The appeal was subsequently dismissed by the apex court. Tonye-Cole and APC appeal was reserved for judgment, after the court listened to the arguments of the party involved in the matter. Tonye-Cole, among others, is asking the apex court to sack Fubara, adding that the governor did not resign as the Accountant General of the state under the deadline stipulated by the constitution and the Electoral Act. The lower courts had dismissed all appeals against Fubara and upheld his election.
Former Speaker Bright Omokhodion withdraws from APC governorship race

The former Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Bright Omokhodion, has officially withdrawn from the race for the governorship on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Omokhodion, a top-level contender from Edo Central Senatorial District, announced his decision citing gross discontent with the screening committee’s skewed screening process of APC governorship candidates. The withdrawal was made public in a statement personally signed by Omokhodion. His words: “Compatriots, I wish you a blessed season’s best. It has become imperative to inform you that due to my gross discontent with the SKEWED screening process of APC governorship candidates by the screening committee, I am withdrawing from the 2024 Edo Governorship race. “This decision is purely the outcome of consultation with my campaign team; we have jumped many hurdles and impediments in our quest but regrettably reached this decision after a stormy meeting. “I must thank all of you for sharing in my vision and desire for a greater and productive Edo of our dreams. I will in due course advise our followers of the next line of action, while we continue to support the aspirations of my party, APC. “Once again, thank you for keeping the SMILES-VISION project alive.”
Why Aiyedatiwa is yet to move into Ondo Govt House

Three weeks into his tenure as the Governor of Ondo State, Lucky Aiyedatiwa has been working from his former Deputy Governor’s office, delaying his transition to the Governor’s Office at the Government House in Alagbaka, Akure, Starnews NG report. Despite being sworn in on December 27, 2023, following the passing of former governor Rotimi Akeredolu, Aiyedatiwa is gradually settling into his role. In his inaugural address, he pledged to continue his predecessor’s work and ensure collaboration with all stakeholders. However, the governor, after meeting with President Bola Tinubu in Lagos, is reportedly focused on reorganizing the All Progressives Congress in the state before selecting a deputy governor. Sources told Starnews that ongoing consultations to choose a deputy from either the central or northern senatorial districts, while Aiyedatiwa continues to operate from his former office, delaying his move to the main governor’s office at the Government House. The source said, “The governor has been coming to the office, but he has been using his old deputy governor office to operate and receive visitors. He has yet to occupy the state Government House too. The only place he uses in the Government House is the Presidential Lodge where he receives visitors. The governor’s residential lodge too has not been used by the governor.” When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Ebenezer Adeniyan, confirmed that the presidential lodge was being used by the governor to receive visitors while some other areas were under renovation, adding that the Governor’s Office was under renovation. “The governor has been using the Government House; he receives visitors at the presidential lodge. Others are undergoing renovation. Very soon, everything will be alright. The new building in the Government House is nearing completion and he might be using there. “The main governor’s office too is under renovation; after the renovation, the governor will move in,” the CPS stated
Plateau Speaker yet to recognise APC lawmakers after Supreme Court ruling

The Plateau State House of Assembly is facing uncertainty as Speaker Gabriel Dewan, who belongs to the Young Peoples Party (YPP), has stated that he would only recognise eight members out of the total 24. This comes after the recent Supreme Court judgment overruled the Court of Appeal’s decision that led to the sack of 16 members elected under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The Appeal Court had initially removed the 16 lawmakers, citing that the PDP lacked the legitimacy to sponsor them due to internal issues within the party. Following this decision, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) issued certificates of return to APC members. However, the recent Supreme Court judgment, which allowed the appeal filed by Governor Caleb Mutfwang against his sack, stated that the removal of the 16 PDP members was unjustified. The Supreme Court emphasised that the APC and its candidate had no authority to interfere in the internal affairs of another political party. Reacting to the Supreme Court ruling, Speaker Dewan declared that, based on the judgment, only eight members are recognised in the assembly. Dewan stated that the 16 lawmakers affirmed by the Court of Appeal would not be recognised for now, as the Supreme Court had declared the Appeal Court’s judgment faulty and an abuse of court processes. The affected PDP lawmakers have appealed to the Supreme Court for a determination, seeking to overturn the judgment of both the Appeal Court and the National Assembly members.
Plateau Guber: S’Court Reveres Sack, Affirms Gov Mutfwang’s Election

The Supreme Court, Friday, reversed the judgment of the Court of Appeal that sacked Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State from office on ground of unlawful nomination. The judgement read by Justice Emmanuel Agim held that the court below made an error in allowing the All Progressives Congress APC to delve into the conduct of the primary election by the People’s Democratic Party PDP and nullified the election unjustly. The court held that the issue of primary election was an internal affairs of political parties and that no other party can dabble into it except members of the same party. Besides, Justice Agim said that the issue of alleged improper conduct of the ward and local governments election used to sack the Governor was not justiceable. According to him, the conduct of the ward and local governments election was an affairs of the State Executive Committee of a political party while the conduct of the primary election for the nomination of a governorship candidate is entirely that of the National Executive Committee of a political party. Also, the court established that there was no issue of irregularities in the ways and manners the Governorship primary election that produced the governor was conducted in Plateau and wondered why that of the ward election was used to nullify the gubernatorial poll. He said that evidence was even well adduced that an order of Plateau State High Court allegedly disobeyed was indeed obeyed by parties involved. Therefore, the court unanimously voided and set aside the order of the Court of Appeal that Nentawe Goshwehe, the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) be inaugurated as Plateau State Governor. The Supreme Court affirmed the judgment of the Plateau State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal which had earlier dismissed the petition of the APC and its governorship candidate. Governor Mutfwang of the PDP scored 525,299 votes to beat the All Progressives Congress candidate, Nentawe Yilwatda, who garnered 481,370 votes during the 18 March governorship poll in Plateau State. The governor’s election was upheld by the Plateau State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal in Jos, the state capital. However, the Court of Appeal in Abuja, in its judgement delivered on 19 November 2023, overturned Mr Mutfwang’s victory, prompting him to file an appeal at the Supreme Court to challenge the lower court’s decision.
Ebonyi Guber: S’Court Okeys Nwifuru’s Election

The Supreme Court has affirmed the election of Governor Francis Nwifuru of Ebonyi state. In a lead judgment of a 5-man panel of Justices, Justice Tijani Abubakar held that the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chukwuma Odi failed to prove any allegation of non compliance in the election. Consequently, the apex court in a unanimous decision dismissed the appeal by Odi for lacking in merit and a gross abuse of court process. The panel held that the PDP candidate cannot question the nomination of Nwifuru by his party, the APC. The Lagos state division of the Court of Appeal, had on November 24, 2023, affirmed the election of Francis Nwifuru as the duly elected governor of Ebonyi State in the March 18, governorship election. The three-member panel presided over by Justice Jummai Sankey, in its unanimous decision, dismissed the appeal filed by Chukwuma Odii of the Peoples Democratic Party.
BREAKING: Supreme Court Affirms Lawal’s Election As Zamfara Governor

The Supreme Court has upheld the election of Dauda Lawal as the duly elected Governor of Zamfara state. Justice Emmanuel Agim, who delivered the lead judgment, criticized the Court of Appeal’s earlier decision, describing it as “perverse.” Justice Agim emphasized that the allegations of over-voting failed to stand as the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) did not provide essential documents such as the voter register, polling unit officer report, and eyewitness testimony. The judge highlighted that BVAS machines alone could not establish electoral malpractices, and the petitioner, Mr Matawalle, did not provide sufficient evidence to support his claims. “The court is of the view that the tribunal was right. The judgment of the Court of Appeal was perverse because the petitioner failed woefully to prove his allegations,” declared Justice Agim.
Kano Guber: Supreme Court Affirms Abba Yusuf Victory

The Supreme court has upheld the election of the Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) as the governor of the state. The five-man panel of the court lead by John Inyang Okoro, held that the 165, 616 votes complied with the provisions of Section 71 of the Electoral Act have been signed and stamped by the election agents. The court held that the All Progressive Congress (APC) and it’s flagbearer, Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna, failed to prove that the votes were unlawful. Therefore, the court ordered that the signed and stamped 165, 616 votes be returned to the appallant. With the verdict, the court thereby set aside the judgement of the lower court and declared that the Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf won the 2023 governorship election in Kano State with the majority votes. The Independent National Electronic Electoral Commission (INEC) had announced Yusuf as the winner of the March 18, 2023 election, saying he garnered 1,019,602 votes to defeat Gawuna who got 890,705 of the votes cast. Consequently, the APC headed the Tribunal, citing alleged electoral malpractice. The Tribunal in its ruling nullified Yusuf’s election, adding that over 160,000 ballot papers “were not signed or stamped by INEC”. The three-man panel of the Tribunal led by Justice Oluyemi Akintan Osadebay sacked Yusuf on September 20, 2023, after deducting 165,663 of his votes. Yusuf’s votes were subsequently reduced to 853,939 while Ganuwa’s 890,705 votes were not affected. Not satisfied, Yusuf proceeded to the Appeal court which held that it can be seen that the Tribunal acted in the overall interest of justice when it allowed APC’s tendering of documents during trial. The court held that INEC released documents to the APC piecemeal in order to defeat the petition of the petitioner. The judgement further posited the the Petitioner’s insistence that APC ought to have joined its candidate, Ganuwa, as a party at the Tribunal proceedings, was not backed by the 1999 Constitution. It maintained that a candidate is entitled to be represented by his political party during litigation, adding that every political party shall maintain the register of its voters. The court said the appellant to his own detriment did not submit his NNPP membership registrar or even tendered his statement on oath regarding his membership of the party. The court added that the name of Abba is not the NNPP membership registrar. “As rightfully found, Yusuf Abba was not a member of the NNPP at the time he was purportedly sponsored by his party and he was not qualified to contest the March Governorship Election,” the court while affirming the judgment of the Tribunal. “If you claim to be a member of a political party, is it not logical for you to say so by yourself and not by proxy? “Even though membership of a political party is an internal affair, a political party cannot be permitted to circumvent or breach the provisions of the 1999 Constitution. “The Tribunal was wrong not to have disqualified the appellant. “Therefore the failure of the appellant and the NNPP to comply with the 1999 Constitution is fatal to their election. “All issues in this appeal are dismissed and the judgment of the Tribunal is affirmed,” the court held.