FG Receives 108 Stranded Nigerian Migrants In Niger

The Federal Government has received 108 irregular Nigerians migrants stranded in Niger Republic. This is contained in a statement by Mr Alexander Oturu, Southwest Zonal Coordinator, National Commission for Refugees Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI) on Tuesday in Abuja. The commission said the Nigerians include 32 males, 29 females, 44 children and three infants. “The migrants were conveyed to the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, camp where the NCFRMI and International Organisation for Migration (IOM) have a tripartite agreement to provide temporary shelter for the returnees. “Before they are provided with onward transportation allowance to enable them get to their final destinations,” he added. The return, he said, was facilitated by the Nigerian Mission in Niamey and the IOM. “In line with Mr President’s Renewed Hope Agenda, the returnees will be integrated into various government programmes, as well as the reintegration programmes of the UN Migration Agency,” he said.
Tragedy As Two Children Die In Niger Boat Mishap

Two children have been confirmed dead while two others sustained various degrees of injuries in a boat mishap that occurred in Katcha Local Government Area of Niger. The Overseeing Director-General of Niger Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) /, Alhaji Salihu Garba, disclosed this in Minna on Saturday. He said the incident occurred on Friday at about 6pm when the boat engine caught fire due to a mechanical failure and inflamed a gallon of petrol stored inside the boat. He said that 145 passengers were in the boat, adding that they were from Danbo community in Kogi. Garba disclosed that the passengers were on their way back from Katcha Market when the incident occurred. He said that the body of one of the deceased children had been recovered while the search for that of the second missing child was still ongoing.
Boat Capsizes With 22 Passengers In Niger

A boat carrying about 22 passengers on board from Kasabu village in Agwara local government area of Niger to Yauri in Kebbi has capsized. Alhaji Salihu Garba, overseeing Director General of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA), disclosed this in Minna. He said that the agency received a report of the boat mishap that occurred on Monday between 11am and 12 pm. According to him, a survivor of the mishap said that the boat had about 22 passengers on board. He said that search and rescue operations was ongoing by the local divers and boat owners under the supervision of the agency’s desk officer in Agwara. He said no passenger has been recovered yet, adding that the mishap happened on Yauri market day. Garba added that only after the market would families be able to declare their missing relatives. He explained that it takes about 24 hours for any drowned person to surface atop water. He attributed the cause of the incident to water hyacinth coupled with strong waves.
Without France there’d be no Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger – Macron

French President, Emmanuel Macron has said that France has played an important role in the survival of African countries Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger. According to Macron, “Without France’s military operations in the Sahel there would probably no longer be a Mali or Burkina Faso, and I’m not sure there would still be Niger”, French President Emmanuel Macron told French publication Le Point. Macron is referring to the former colonial power’s interventions in the mid-2000s, Operations Serval and Barkhane. French troops were moved from Mali to Niger after its military leaders cut ties with the former colonial power. He said the interventions were done “at the request of African states” and were “successful” as his policy is facing scrutiny in the face of losing the allyship of last remaining ally, Niger, and increasing negative sentiment from Africans. He went on to explain that while these operations reflect France’s “honour” and “responsibility”, France could no longer remain involved “when there is a coup d’état, and the priority of the new regimes is not to fight terrorism” even though this is “tragic for the states concerned”. In the interview, Macron defended his administration’s policy in the Sahel as one of partnership rather than focusing on security. France refuses to acknowledge coup leader General Abdurahman Tchiani’s announcement that all military deals between Niger and France are terminated, and more than a thousand French troops remain stationed at a military base there.
Niger will overcome ECOWAS sanctions, says new PM Zeine

Lamine Zeine, Niger’s newly appointed Prime Minister, has characterized the sanctions imposed on the nation’s military junta as an “unfair challenge,” while expressing optimism that Niger will ultimately overcome them. Despite this obstacle, Zeine reaffirmed Niger’s commitment to fostering economic cooperation with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). Following the military’s ousting of democratically-elected President Mohamed Bazoum on July 26, which led to the suspension of the constitution and the installation of a transitional government, ECOWAS responded with sanctions against the new military junta. The regional body demanded an immediate return to constitutional order and activated a standby force in preparation for potential military intervention in Niger. Prime Minister Zeine acknowledged the significance of possible negotiations with both ECOWAS and neighbouring Nigeria, which had taken a lead role in addressing the situation in Niger. He emphasized the importance of preserving the historical relationship between Niger and ECOWAS, originally founded as an economic group to promote prosperity in West Africa. Zeine expressed his hopes for maintaining the economic solidarity envisioned by ECOWAS but noted concerns if political and military considerations overshadow this objective. He highlighted Niger’s dedication to working within the framework of regional cooperation while also voicing the nation’s desire to address issues in a balanced manner.
Top US diplomat meets leaders of Niger military junta

A Senior U.S. diplomat Victoria Nuland has met with senior leaders of the military junta in Niger, the U.S. State Department has said. Nuland, the acting deputy secretary of state, travelled to Niamey to meet with the armed forces’ new chief of staff, General Moussa Salaou Barmou, and three other members of the military junta. She expressed Washington’s “grave concern regarding developments in Niger and our resolute commitment to supporting democracy and constitutional order,” U.S. State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement. During the meeting Nuland outlined what was at stake if Niger did not “respect its own constitutional order,” Miller said. “This includes the potential loss of hundreds of millions of dollars in economic and security support for the people of Niger,” she highlighted. She described the more-than-two-hour conversation as “extremely frank and at times quite difficult” in a call with reporters. Nuland’s request to meet with ousted and detained President Mohamed Bazoum was denied, she said. “The United States continues to call for the immediate release of President Mohamed Bazoum, his family, and all those detained as part of the extra-constitutional attempt to seize power,” Miller said. Nuland was also not able to see new self-declared ruler Gen. Abdourahmane Tchiani. Bazoum was ousted in a military coup on July 26. Tchiani, the commander of Niger’s presidential guard, then claimed power as the country’s new ruler. He and his group of officers suspended the constitution and dissolved all constitutional institutions.
Niger: Tinubu writes Senate, highlights 7 resolutions to restoring democracy

In a bid pursuant to restore democracy in the neighboring Niger Republic, President Tinubu has written to the Nigerian Senate, seeking their support in implementing seven crucial resolutions aimed at pressuring the military junta to relinquish power and reinstate civilian rule. These resolutions reflect the collective will of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and underscore Nigeria’s commitment to regional stability and democratic values. The first resolution calls for a military buildup and deployment of personnel to Niger’s borders, with the intention of enforcing compliance with the military junta. The President emphasized that this measure is not an act of aggression but rather a deterrent to ensure the junta understands the seriousness of the international community’s stance on democratic governance. In another resolution, the President seeks the suspension of electricity supply to Niger Republic as a means of applying economic pressure. According to the President, this move sends a strong message to the military junta that their actions have consequences beyond their borders and aims to foster public discontent over the lack of essential services. President Tinubu also highlighted the importance of rallying international support for the implementation of ECOWAS provisions. Diplomatic efforts will be intensified to garner cooperation from other African nations and the global community, demonstrating a united front in the fight for democracy. To further isolate the military junta and disrupt their operations, the fourth resolution seeks from Tinubu seeks to prevent the operation of commercial and special flights to and from Niger Republic. This measure will curtail the junta’s mobility and impede their ability to sustain their rule. In a move to exert economic pressure, the President proposed a blockade of goods in transit to Niger, particularly from Lagos and eastern seaports. This tactic aims to disrupt the flow of goods and impact the junta’s access to essential supplies, further fueling discontent within the country, Recognizing the power of social media in shaping public opinion, the President urged the Senate to embark on a sensitization campaign, utilizing various platforms as this campaign will inform Nigerians and the international community about the necessity and importance of these actions, garnering support for the cause. The seventh resolution calls for the immediate closure and monitoring of all land borders with Niger Republic. Additionally, the border drilling exercise will be reactivated to tighten security and prevent any illicit activities that may undermine the resolution’s objectives. President Tinubu emphasized that these actions are not taken lightly and are in full accordance with ECOWAS’ commitment to upholding democratic principles in the region. The objective is to restore civilian rule, safeguard human rights, and pave the way for free and fair elections in Niger Republic. President Tinubu’s call for the implementation of these seven resolutions against Niger Republic marks a critical step in the restoration of democracy and the rule of law in the region.
Niger Coup: Tinubu, ECOWAS leaders in crucial meeting

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Heads of State and Government are meeting in Abuja, at an extraordinary summit on the socio-political situation in the Republic of Niger. President Bola Tinubu, who is also the Chairman of the ECOWAS, is hosting the meeting to continue to dialogue on the way out of the impasse that the military takeover has thrown the region into. ECOWAS nations, including Niger Republic, would likely impose sanctions on the military headed by the former head of the presidential guard, Gen. Abdourahamane Tchiani. The African Union (AU), ECOWAS, UN, EU and Niger’s former colonial ruler France, have condemned the takeover, insisting on return to constitutional rule in the country. Though funding is still unclear, the ECOWAS leaders have agreed on a regional security force to intervene against jihadists and military coups. The AU’s Peace and Security Council “demands the military personnel to immediately and unconditionally return to their barracks and restore constitutional authority, within a maximum period of 15 days”, it said in a communiqué after a meeting on Friday. The AU’s Peace and Security Council condemned the overthrow of President Mohamed Bazoum, who was taken into custody on Wednesday by the coupists. The takeover was justified by the junta as a response to the deteriorating security situation in the country. In light of the unfolding events, the AU’s call for the military to restore constitutional authority and return to their barracks is aimed at upholding democratic principles and preserving stability in Niger. A communiqué is expected at the end of the one-day meeting.