Massive Earthquake Hits Japan, Leaving Huge Destruction and Evacuations

A magnitude 7.6 earthquake has hit central Japan, triggering widespread destruction, disrupting infrastructure, and necessitating massive evacuations, with one fatality prompting the evacuation of nearly 100,000 residents. The quake, which struck on Monday, triggered tsunami warnings along Japan’s west coast and South Korea. Waves approximately 1 meter high were reported, causing concerns for coastal areas. The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) issued alerts for Ishikawa, Niigata, and Toyama prefectures. Although Ishikawa initially faced a major tsunami warning, it was later downgraded to an advisory. The aftermath revealed reports of collapsed buildings, power outages affecting tens of thousands of homes, and mandatory evacuations. Tragically, an elderly man lost his life due to a building collapse in Shika Town, Ishikawa. Prime Minister Fumio Kishida urged immediate action by search and rescue teams despite challenges in accessing affected areas. This seismic activity marked the most robust in the region in over four decades, raising concerns for potential subsequent quakes. Evacuation orders affected over 97,000 individuals across nine prefectures along Japan’s western coast, highlighting the severity of the situation. Kishida stressed the importance of readiness for potential future disasters. The earthquake’s impact rippled beyond its epicenter, causing collapsed buildings, fires, power disruptions, and infrastructure damage, leading to halted train services and closed expressways. Communication networks also faced disruptions due to telecom outages. The timing of this seismic event during the New Year holiday disrupted traditional celebrations, prompting cancellations of public appearances by Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako. Residents, rattled by the quake’s force, sought refuge in evacuation centers, uncertain about returning home. The earthquake reignited concerns about Japan’s nuclear industry. Despite fears, authorities reported no irregularities at nuclear power plants in the region. As affected areas grappled with the aftermath, concerns loomed over recovery efforts and potential aftershocks. Japan’s resilience and preparedness faced another stern test as they navigated the aftermath of this natural disaster.
14 Die, 100 Missing In India Flash Flood

At least 14 people have been reported dead and more than 100 missing after a flash flood in India. Fourteen bridges were severely damaged or collapsed, according to Indian media, on Thursday. The report cited information from the authorities, saying that some villages were also flooded. A highway was damaged and a mobile network was disrupted in parts of the affected north-eastern state of Sikkim. Rescue operations are continuing. Around 3,000 travellers from other parts of the country were stranded in the region due to the flooding. The army said that one of the 23 people previously registered as missing had been found alive. Heavy rains fell late Wednesday in Sikkim, leading to a sharp rise in the level of the Teesta River. Authorities of Sikkim have advised residents not to go near the river. Schools in parts of the state will remain closed until the end of the week, local media reported.
Flood Sacks Riverine Communities In Delta

No fewer than five riverine communities in Delta have been sacked by water in the Warri North Local Government Area. Mr Kenren Pere, Councillor representing Ogbinbiri ward 18, in Asigborodo Community disclosed this to newsmen on Monday in Warri. Pere said that the affected communities included Torukubuagbene, Awanba, Koropigbene, Itagbene and Asigborodo as well as adjourning communities. According to him, the incident began more than a week ago and the situation became worse on Friday. While appealing for an urgent intervention by the state government, the councillor said that the life of his people were at stake. Pere said: “I cannot attribute the course to flooding or the heavy torrential downpour that has been happening in recent time, though, rain has been falling before, but we have not had it so bad like this. “Many valuables including local boats, clothes, food items, and other means of livelihood have been destroyed by the unfortunate occurrence. “Lives are at stake, people can no longer go about their normal daily activities to feed, so there is hunger in the affected communities. “The overflow started more than a week ago, but the situation became worse three days ago, leaving my people in fear,” he said. Pere also appealed to the state government to send relief materials including food items to the people. to alleviate their suffering.” However, when contacted, Mr Smart Asekutu, Chairman, Warri North Local Government Area did not pick the several calls put across to his mobile line nor respond to the WhatsApp messages sent to his cell phone. Meanwhile, Mr Daniel Okpor, Director, Administration and Finance, Delta Emergency Management Agency said that the agency was not aware of the development. Okpor, however, requested for video clips of the incident to aid their findings and response. “Was the incident a result of flood or rainfall? We believe more on video than photographs. In the absence of video, you can send me photographs,” he requested.