Court Order Forces MultiChoice To Reduce Prices For DStv, GOtv Users, See Price

MultiChoice, Nigeria’s leading satellite television provider, has adjusted its subscription rates for DStv and GOtv users following a court order. The company had faced backlash after implementing a price hike, citing increased costs and inflation. The Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal (CCPT) in Abuja intervened, instructing MultiChoice to revert to previous prices pending further review. As of June 16, 2024, the DStv Premium package now costs N29,500 (reduced from N37,000), Compact+ is N19,800 (down from N25,000), Compact Bouquet is N12,500 (from N15,700), and Confam is N7,400 (previously N9,300). GOtv subscribers also benefit from reduced rates: Super+ is now N12,500 (was N15,700), Super is N7,600 (down from N9,600), Max is N5,700 (from N6,300), Joli is N3,950 (previously N4,500), and Jinja is N2,700 (down from N3,200).
Multichoice Cries Out As 18% Of Nigerian Subscribers Boycott DStv

Multichoice Group, the African Pay-TV operator, has lamented the recent drop in the number of DStv subscribers in Nigeria. In the company’s financial report for the year ending on March 31, 2024, Multichoice attributed the 18% decrease in active subscribers of DStv in Nigeria to the country’s economy. It noted that the latest decline in Nigeria had a significant impact on the overall subscriber database, resulting in a 9% decrease for the entire year. The specific number of subscriptions in Nigeria was not provided, as it was combined with other operating units outside South Africa under the category of ‘Rest of Africa’ (RoA). Multichoice further revealed that the 18% decline in Nigeria contributed to a 13% decrease in the total active subscribers of RoA, bringing the figure down to 8.1 million from 9.3 million in 2023. “The group’s 9% decline in active subscribers was mainly due to a 13% decline in the Rest of Africa business as mass-market customers in countries like Nigeria had to prioritise basic necessities over entertainment, while the South African business showed more resilience with a 5% decline. “The Nigerian economy and consumers faced persistent challenges through FY24. The removal of fuel subsidies, sharp currency depreciation with the official naira halving in value, inflation climbing to over 30%, and higher emigration of the middle and upper class drove an 18% YoY decline in active subscribers,” the company said. Multichoice mentioned that this led to a decrease in Nigeria’s share of the Rest of Africa revenues from 44% to 35%. It was pointed out that Ghana experienced a comparable subscriber trend due to an inflation rate that remains above 20%. Additionally, Multichoice explained that, because of the difficult market conditions, the immediate priority for its RoA (Nigeria, Angola, Kenya, Ghana, and Zimbabwe) operations shifted from increasing subscribers to protecting profitability and cash flow. It added: “Several cost-saving initiatives were implemented, including scaling back significantly on decoder subsidies (-46% YoY or ZAR1.3 billion), and reducing selling, general, and administrative (SG&A) costs by ZAR500 million. These interventions enabled the Rest of Africa business to increase trading profit by 48% YoY to ZAR1.3 billion.”
MultiChoice defies court order, increases DStv, GOtv subscriptions

MultiChoice Nigeria Limited has ignored an interim order granted to the Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal (CCPT) in Abuja, and increased the subscription rates for its DStv and GOtv bouquets. Recall that on Monday, the tribunal issued a clear injunction restraining MultiChoice Nigeria from increasing its subscription prices, which were set to take effect on May 1. The tribunal also granted an application for substituted service of the interim order, after reports surfaced that MultiChoice’s officers at its Abuja office refused to accept the court documents. In a ruling, the presiding officer, Saratu Shafii, said the decision underscores the tribunal’s commitment to ensuring that MultiChoice complies with its orders. The applicant, an Abuja based lawyer, Festus Onifade, told reporters that a top manager at the Abuja office directed that any document should instead be sent to their Lagos headquarters. However, according to reports the new subscription fees were enforced on Wednesday, May 1, much to the dismay of millions of subscribers who waited for the company to halt the new rates. Following this development, consumers viewed the increase as a betrayal by MultiChoice and accused the cable company of disregarding both the legal system and customer interests.
BBNaija All Stars Gulped N5.5bn – MultiChoice

Multichoice Nigeria on Tuesday disclosed that N5.5 billion was invested in the production of the just-concluded “All Stars” edition of the Big Brother Naija reality show. Busola Tejumola, Executive Head of Content and West Africa Channels, MultiChoice Nigeria, disclosed this during the cash prize presentation to the winner of the All Stars show, Ilebaye Odiniya, in Lagos. Ilebaye was given a cheque of N120 million and the key to her new SUV from Innosons Motors. Tejumola said that over 2,000 individuals were also employed to execute the show. She said the show generated over 1.53 billion voters across all regions. “This year, we have backed this commitment up with a total investment of NGN5.5 billion, covering the costs of production, construction, fittings, technical, licensing, satellite, and marketing in the production of this season of Big Brother Naija. “And of course, there is the direct impact of over 2000 individuals employed to bring this project to life. “As Africa’s most loved storyteller, we are proud to be part of creating opportunities for growth for the youth in their quest to build great futures. “This year Biggieverse was opened as Big Brother invited into it your favourite All-Stars 20 game players, four house guests, nine Jury members and 12 Wager Task Judges and the parrot who all together delivered a riveting show that kept us all entertained for 71 days,” she said. Tejumola described the Big Brother All Stars as a season of love rekindled, new friendships, settling scores, comedic moments, fantastic showcase of talent and a battle for dominance. She appreciated the lead sponsor of the show, MoniePoint Microfinance Bank and the associate sponsor, HFM Online Trading, for partnering with MultiChoice to deliver a Biggieverse of pure entertainment. She also appreciated other sponsors of the show. “In this 20th year of Africa Magic’s operations in Nigeria, we thank you for choosing to make magic with us. “Thank you, our loyal viewers, for your love and support that sustains the conversations around all our productions. “Congratulations Baye, the resident GenZ Baddie on conquering in Biggieverse and emerging the winner of the very first Big Brother Naija All-Stars Season. “Our commitment to showcasing the best in sporting, entertainment and telling uniquely authentic indigenous stories remains unwavering,” she said. Earlier, the winner of the All Stars Show, Ilebaye, who expressed excitement over her victory appreciated MultiChoice, her family, fans and fellow ex-housemates. “I want to thank Big Brother, my family, sponsors, host of the show, supporters and people who did not sleep to ensure the success of the show. I promise to make you all proud and make good use of the money,” she said. Also, Mr Chinedu Okpara, Head of Product Marketing at MoniePoint, who described the show as an exciting one expressed joy in partnering with MultiChoice to execute the All Stars show. “The show was an exciting one, lots of drama for us. We are happy to be a part of this. “We have been able to fulfil one of our dreams of empowering dreams and we will continue to look for more opportunity like this,” he said.