Nigerian Army Must Embrace AI, Emerging Technologies -Lagbaja

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, has posited that a combat ready Nigerian Army requires effective training using emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, robotics, genome sequencing and other software applications. Lagbaja, who was represented by the Chief of Special Services and Programmes (Army), Maj.-Gen. Henry Wesley, said this at the opening of the Simulation Workshop of the Land Forces Simulation Centre Nigeria (LFSCN), on Tuesday in Abuja. The theme of the workshop is, “Effective use of Simulation Technology to Enhance Nigerian Army Operation in a Joint Environment.” He said the theme reflected his Command Philosophy for the Nigerian army which is, “To Transform the Nigerian Army into a Well-trained, Equipped and Highly Motivated Force Towards Achieving our Constitutional Responsibilities within a Joint Environment. “A Nigerian Army that is always combat ready can only be achieved through effective training using emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, robotics, genome sequencing and other even as they come software applications. “Simulation training which involves the application of these technologies is thus a contemporary essential enabler for preparing Nigerian army personnel for current and future operational challenges. “It is reassuring to say that in this regard, the centre has justified the purpose for which it was conceived and established.” Lagbaja said he had approved the equipping of the centre with all the hardware and software essential to its efficiency. He added that approval had also been given for the procurement of two 10 Lane Virtual Firing Range, a 100-KVA solar-inverters with lithium batteries as well as Aluminum Composite External Cladding for this Centre, to enhance its aesthetics. He added that his overall goal was to make the centre a one-stop shop for all operations planning training in the Nigerian army in both peace time and during war. According to him, the simulation centre is now well and sufficiently equipped to carry out simulation training for all combat arms, combat support arms and combat support services of the Nigerian Army. “Battle Simulation Centres such as this help trainers to formulate training models by testing their operations planning and theories without expending scarce live ammunition, manpower fatique and the requirement for operational logistics supplies, especially in a dwindling economy. “It is my firm belief that ultimately, the Centre would not only enhance the Nigerian Army training and operational readiness but also provide training support to our sister services, other security agencies, Ministries Departments and Agencies (MDAs). “I am delighted to note that the Centre has so far conducted several capacity building programmes in line with the Nigerian Army Forecast of Events 2023, with considerable successes. “I am aware that the in-house training conducted at the centre has significantly improved the capacity of the new centre staff since their deployment,” he said. The COAS pledged to continue to support all the efforts of LFSCN within available resources to make it one of the most respected in the world. The Director General, LFSCN, Maj.-Gen. Usman Yusuf, said the centre had since its establishment in 2019 made concerted efforts to provide the necessary hardware and software to make it functional and a centre of excellence. Yusuf said the centre was being ranked among the best simulation training centres in sub-Saharan Africa and in the world, owing to the necessary support provided it to function optimally. He said LFSCN had so far held in-house simulation exercise, four battalion simulation exercises, three brigade simulation exercises and three joint simulation exercises. According to him, the centre conducted seminars and workshops to enhance the capacity of its staff as well as create awareness within the Nigerian army, sister services, security services, ministries, department agencies and other stakeholders.
NAF to take delivery of 18 attack helicopters – CAS

The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Hassan Abubakar says the Nigeria Air Force (NAF) will soon take delivery of 18 attack helicopters to boost its fleet of aircraft. Abubakar said this at a one-day tour of formations and units under the NAF 115 Special Operations Group (SOG) in Port Harcourt on Wednesday. He said that 12 attack helicopters would be supplied by the United States while another six helicopters would be provided by the Turkish government in September. “We are not deterred by recent developments as the Federal Government has approved the acquisition of 12 AH1 Zulu Cobra and six T129 Helicopters from the United States and Turkey respectively. “The first two T129 helicopters are scheduled to come into operation by September, to enhance our operational capabilities. “So, yes, we are saddened by the recent loss of our airplane (MI 171 helicopter) but then, we have a lot more (aircraft) coming in and our capabilities are increasing,” he said. Abubakar said he visited the state to commiserate with families of the NAF pilots and crew that died in the ill-fated helicopter crash in Niger on Aug. 14. “So, we came here to express our deepest condolences to the immediate family members of the crew that we lost. “The 115 special operations group is the home base for the airplane and all the crew that were onboard the unfortunate crash of our MI-171 helicopter. “Aside this, we are also here to interact with the officers and men of the unit to encourage and assure them of our support in Operation Delta Safe,” he added. The air force chief said the deceased crew onboard the crashed aircraft included the pilot, co-pilot and two airmen – who oversaw the cabin. He said the air force was currently putting measures in place to put an end to crashes of military aircraft in the country. According to him, the measures included the setting up of an air crash investigation board to detect the probable causes of the crash to mitigate future recurrence. “NAF has a target innovation of zero accidents, but the truth is that as long as we keep operating, there will be incidents because it is human beings that operate the aircraft. “We have also established and empowered our NAF Institute of Safety – where we train our pilots and technicians in the fundamentals of safety to improve safety culture in the air force. “The overall aim is that in the nearest future, we will have a well engraved safety culture in realisation of our target of zero accidents and incidents in NAF,” he said. Abubakar said the air force would continue to intensify the deployment of its attack helicopters in clamping down on illegal refineries in the Niger Delta. He said that joint operations with sister security agencies had led to the destruction of several illegal refining sites and confiscation of vessels used in stealing crude oil from the region.