Reps flays FCT ‘park and pay’ policy

HOUSE OF REPS

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The House of Representatives Committee on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has criticized the “park and pay” system implemented by the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA). During an interactive session with Chinedum Elechi, the mandate secretary for the transportation secretariat, in Abuja on Wednesday, Mukthar Betara, chairman of the committee, expressed concerns about the policy, highlighting reports of harassment faced by residents and motorists from those enforcing it. The FCTA reintroduced the “park and pay” policy in August 2023 following agreements with two concessionaires, aiming to alleviate city congestion and enhance driving conditions. This policy had previously been suspended in April 2014 by a high court ruling that found it unlawful due to lack of legal backing. Betara sought details on the reintroduction process, the policy’s authorization, and how fees are remitted to the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA). In response, Elechi confirmed that the policy is supported by a legal framework and that parking is confined to designated areas. “The park and pay are by regulation. We have legal framework. It is part of the way of controlling traffic. ” So, under the part and pay, designated areas are meant to be parks. So, it is legal. It is revenue paid through concessionaires. According to him, there is usually a ration between the concessionaires and the FCT. So, for areas where we have concessionaires, there is a percentage that goes to the concessionaires. ” It is 60 per cent, and 40 per cent goes to FCT. The infrastructure for the work is usually provided by the concessionaire. The revenue goes straight to the revenue account of the FCT, not transportation.” The committee chairman queried the mandate secretary about the contract process, asking how the contract was established. ” In appointing your concessionaires, what procedure did you follow? How much has been remitted to the FCDA from January to date? Who gave you the approval?” Betara asked. Hussaina Olayemi, the director of legal services, transport, explained that the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission and the Abuja Investment Company, the FCT organisation responsible for public-private partnerships, were involved. “After their involvement, the concession was submitted to the federal executive council, for approval. So, we have the FEC approval,” Olayemi stated. The committee criticised the allocation of 60 per cent of revenue to concessionaires while the government receives only 40 per cent. Betara demanded clarification on what infrastructure the concessionaires are providing. Replying, Elechi stated that the concessionaire is responsible for marking roads. However, Mr Betara countered, asserting that no roads in Abuja have been marked by the concessionaire. “The way the concessionaires operate in Abuja, they harass people on the streets. I would have advised you people to have given the VIO this concessionaire. ”Let them take this up so that the whole revenue will go to FCT. Why are you personalising this for an individual?” Betara said.

Women Affairs Secretariat: Tinubu Appoints Benjamin-Laniyi As Mandate Secretary

Women Affairs Secretariat: Tinubu Appoints Benjamin-Laniyi As Mandate Secretary

President Bola Tinubu has approved the appointment of Mrs Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi as the Mandate Secretary for the newly created Women Affairs Secretariat of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA). Mr Anthony Ogunleye, Director of Press, Office of the Minister of the FCT, Mr Nyesom Wike made the disclosure in a statement in Abuja on Monday. Ogunleye said that Benjamins-Laniyi would play a pivotal role in the FCTA’s commitment to promoting the well-being and empowerment of women and children in the Federal Capital Territory. He expressed optimism that her appointment would further strengthen the formidable administrative team led by Wike and the Minister of State, Dr Mariya Mahmoud. Ogunleye added that Benjamins-Laniyi, born in 1965 from Ogun, was appointed for her exemplary qualifications and dedication to public service. “With over 35 years of experience as a communications consultant, social entrepreneur, international mentor, and environmentalist, Mrs Benjamins-Laniyi would bring a wealth of knowledge to her new role. “She attended Queens College, Lagos, for her secondary school education and a 1989 graduate of English from the University of Ibadan. “She has made significant contributions to society as a prominent compere and renowned motivational speaker. “Her passion for social issues, particularly those affecting women and children, is evident in her remarkable work. “She has also showcased her commitment to women’s political participation by aspiring for a senatorial position in the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2022,” he said. Ogunleye added that as the Grand Matron of “Hope Again for FCT Women in Politics”, Benjamins-Laniyi had played a vital role in encouraging and mentoring women in the political arena. According to him, her deep understanding of the political landscape and her ability to navigate complex policy challenges will undoubtedly contribute to the advancement of women’s rights and well-being in the FCT.