We’re Closely Monitoring Egina Spill Situation -NIMASA

We're Closely Monitoring Egina Spill Situation -NIMASA

The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) has said it is closely monitoring the crude oil spill incident which took place during loading operations in Egina on 15th November 2023 at about 6:30am. The Assistant Director, Public Relations, NIMASA, Osagie Edwards, in a statement said the Agency is working closely with the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA) and Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) from the Crisis Management Room CMR, where the spill is being monitored real time using oil spill monitoring software from the Emergency Response Centre. NIMASA explained that though the volume of the spill is not yet confirmed, Total Energies is providing aerial surveillance, dispersant application, while further mobilization is being considered.  “The Oil Spill Response Limited from the United Kingdom is also assisting with pollution control measures. Reconnaissance survey of the impacted area confirms that the shoreline communities of Andoni, Qua-Iboe terminals, Bonny Island, Opobo/Nkoro and Eastern Obolo, which are closest to Egina, are not yet affected,” the Agency said.  NIMASA Director General of NIMASA, Dr Bashir Jamoh, noted that the Agency is in collaboration with all stakeholders to control the pollution and also put in place measures to prevent such occurrences in the future, in line with provisions of the MARPOL Convention. “Since the incident happened, our men have been liaising with other organs of Government to ensure the pollution is effectively controlled and managed, to protect the marine environment and the communities close to the incident point. Accidents do happen, it’s what we do thereafter that matters and I believe that the IOC Total, working with NIMASA, NUPRC, NOSDRA and collaborating with international service providers, will surely ensure proper management of the spill,” he said.

Kano Guber Judgement Saga: Appeal Court Cites Clerical Error

Kano Guber Judgement Saga: Appeal Court Cites Clerical Error

The Chief Registrar of the Court of Appeal, Mr Umar Mohammed Bangari has cleared air on the controversies surrounding the judgment delivered by the Court on Kano gubernatorial election dispute. Bangari in reaction to the controversies said that what happened in the judgment body was a clerical error that did not in anyway invalidate or change the findings and conclusion of the court. The Chief Registrar assured that the clerical error would be rectified once parties in the matter file formal application to that effect. He drew the attention of newsmen to Order 23 Rule 4 of the Court of Appeal Handbook which empowers the court to correct any clerical error once detected by the court or any of the parties in the matter. He however insisted that contrary to insinuations, the judgment of the court remains valid. “What happened in the part of the judgment is just a mere clerical error that ought not to draw any issue. The Court is empowered to correct such clerical error and would be done as appropriate. There had been misgivings and a series of interpretations into the judgment which upheld the judgment of Kano State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal that invalidated the election of Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) as winner of the March 18 gubernatorial poll.

Court Adjourns Suit Challenging Olukoyede As EFCC Chairman To 2024

Court Adjourns Suit Challenging Olukoyede As EFCC Chairman To 2024

The Federal High Court, Abuja has fixed February 22, 2024, for hearing in the suit challenging the appointment of Mr Ola Olukoyede, as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).Justice Obiora Egwuatu stated this on Wednesday after the parties agreed that the date was convenient for all.When the matter was called, the plaintiff, Mr Victor Opatola, a lawyer who chose to represent himself, told the court that he had received the preliminary objections to the suit from the Federal Government and the Attorney-General of the Federation.Opatola, however, said that he had yet to receive any process from the National Assembly (NASS) and the EFCC chairman.The counsel representing NASS, Mr Israel Obaniyi told the court that the legal department of the Assembly passed the information to his team only on Tuesday.He said he would peruse the brief and file his response before the next adjourned date.The EFCC lawyer, Mr R.O Adakole also told the court that he would also put his house in order before the next adjourned date.The judge subsequently adjourned the matter until February 22, 2024.Opatola, an Abuja-based lawyer had dragged the federal government, NASS and Attorney-General to court over alleged illegal appointment of Olukoyede, as the Chairman of EFCC.The lawyer in the suit was challenging the validity of the appointment of the EFCC chairman.The lawyer asked the court to determine whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2 (1) (a) of the EFCC Act 2004, Olukoyede, who had not fulfilled the conditions of the Act, could be validly appointed as the EFCC chairman.He also asked the court to determine whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2(1)(a) of the EFCC Act 2004, the person appointed to the office of the chairman of the EFCC could be said to be above the rank of assistant commissioner of police or its equivalent.“Whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2(1) (a) (iii) of the EFCC Act 2004, the interpretation of subsection (iii) should be read disjunctively of subsection (ii) of the act in a manner that Olukoyede, who was appointed to the office of the chairman of EFCC can be said to have 15 Years of cognate experience in any field outside the government security or law enforcement agency.“Whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2(1) (a) (ii) (iii) of the EFCC Act 2004, the national assembly can validly confirm the appointment of Olukoyede who has not fulfilled the provisions of the law.”Opatola also prayed the court to make further declarations upon the determination of the above questions.“A declaration that pursuant to Section 2(1)(a) (ii)(iii) of the EFCC Act, the appointment of Olukoyede to the office of the EFCC chairman is illegal and void.“A declaration that pursuant to Section 2(1)(a) (ii)(iii) of the EFCC Act, any confirmation of the 4th defendant’s appointment made by the national assembly is void and of no legal consequence.”The counsel also asked the court for an order of perpetual injunction restraining the national assembly from confirming the appointment of the EFCC chairman.He further prayed to the court for an order of perpetual injunction restraining Olukoyede from holding office as chairman of EFCC.

Appeal Court Dismisses Uba, PDP’s Suit Against Gov Alia, Deputy

Appeal Court Dismisses Uba, PDP's Suit Against Gov Alia, Deputy

The Court of Appeal, Abuja division on Monday, dismissed an appeal instituted by the Governorship candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Titus Uba, challenging the election of Hyacinth Alia as the elected Governor of Benue State. In a judgement delivered by the lead Justice, Onyekachi Aja Otisi dismissed the allegations of non qualifications made by Uba against the Deputy Governor, Samuel Ode. In a unanimous judgment, the Appallate Court held that the PDP gubernatorial candidate failed to establish forgery of INEC form EC9 by Ode beyond reasonable doubt as required by law. Among others, the Court of Appeal said that the issues of non qualifications are pre-election matters which can only be challenged at a Federal High Court and not at the Governorship Election Petition Tribunal as done by Uba. Also, Justice Otisi said that a suit to challenge non qualifications can only be instituted within 14 days of occurrence of the subject matter. The Court also dealt with the allegations by Uba that the name of the Governor, Hyacinth Alia was not not submitted by the All Progressives Congress APC to the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC within 180 days before the election of March 18. The Court held that the allegations can survive because the primary election that produce Alia was ordered by a High Court and was done within the period ordered by the court. In the final analysis, Justice Otisi held that the appeal of Uba against the judgment of Benue State Election Petition Tribunal delivered on September 23 lacked merit and was dismissed. The Court subsequently upheld the judgment of the Tribunal and rejected the plea of Uba to void it and set it aside.

Kano APC Goes Spiritual, Declares Fast As Yusuf Heads To Supreme Court

Kano APC Goes Spiritual, Declares Fast As Yusuf Heads To Supreme Court

Following the government-led demolition of illegal structures in Kano State, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has appealed to its members and affected traders to observe a day of fasting and prayer. In an audio message, the party’s chairman, Abdullahi Abbas, called for prayers in appreciation of the recent Court of Appeal victory. Simultaneously, Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) has declared intentions to challenge the appellate court’s ruling at the Supreme Court.  In a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Sanusi Bature Dawakin Tofa, the governor expressed confidence in the Supreme Court’s ability to rectify what he termed as “miscarriages of justice” by both the tribunal and the Court of Appeal. Governor Yusuf said he remains resolute in his pursuit of legal action, expressing optimism that the Supreme Court will uphold the mandate bestowed upon him by the people of Kano State.

22 Justices Nominated For Supreme Court Promotion (Full List)

22 Justices Nominated For Supreme Court Promotion (Full List)

The Federal Judicial Service Commission has forwarded a list of 22 justices from the Court of Appeal to the National Judicial Council, marking them as potential candidates for elevation to Nigeria’s prestigious Supreme Court. In a move highlighting geographical diversity, the nominations represent various regions across Nigeria, showcasing a comprehensive array of candidates.  Among the nominees, six justices originate from the north-central region, while the southeast and south-south regions boast six and two nominees, respectively.  Additionally, the southwest region has two nominations, and both the northeast and northwest regions contribute two candidates each. Here’s a breakdown of the nominated justices from the different regions: South East Hon Justice Nwaoma Uwa (Abia State) – Priority Hon Justice Onyekachi Otisi (Abia State) – Reserve Hon Justice Obande Ogbuinya (Ebonyi State) – Priority Hon Justice Theresa Orji-Abadua (Imo State) – Reserve Hon Justice Anthony Ogakwu (Enugu State) – Priority Hon Justice Chioma Nwosu-lheme (Imo State) – Reserve South South Hon Justice Moore Adumein (Bayelsa State) – Priority Hon Justice Biobele Georgewill (Rivers State) – Reserve South West Hon Justice Adewale Abiru (Lagos State) – Priority Hon Justice Olubunmi Oyewole (Osun State) – Reserve North Central Hon Jummai Sankey (Plateau State) – Priority Hon Justice Muhammad Ibrahim Sirajo (Plateau) – Reserve Hon Justice Stephen Adah (Kogi State) – Priority Hon Justice Ridman Maiwada Abdullahi (Nassarawa State) – Reserve Hon Justice Baba Idris (Niger State) – Priority Hon Justice Joseph Ikyegh (Benue State) – Reserve North East Hon Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani (Bauchi State) – Priority Hon Justice Abubakar Talba (Adamawa State) – Reserve North West Hon Justice Muhammad Lawal Shuaibu (Jigawa State) – Priority Hon Justice Bello Aliyu (Zamfara State) – Reserve Hon Justice Abubakar Sadiq Umar (Kebbi State) – Priority Hon Justice Abdullahi Mahmud Bayero (Kano State) – Reserve

Nasarawa Guber: Appeal Court Reserves Judgement On Sule’s Petition 

Nasarawa Guber: Appeal Court Reserves Judgement On Sule's Petition 

The Abuja division of the Court of Appeal, has reserved judgment in an appeal instituted by Nasarawa State governor, Abdullahi Sule of the All Progressive Congress (APC). Sule was at the appellate court, contesting against the majority decision by a tribunal nullifying his election, in favour of David Ombugadu of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). A three-member panel of justices headed by Justice U. Onyemenam told parties involved that the date for judgment will be communicated to them. In the actual proceedings, Wole Olanipekun, counsel to Sule who filed five processes to challenge the appeal urged the Court to dismiss the judgment of the Tribunal and allow the appeal of his client.  Olanipekun argued that the Tribunal refused to take the submissions of their witnesses during the Tribunal hearing and that data from the BVAS tendered to the Tribunal were merely dumped and without been considered as evidence. In his response, counsel to Ombugadu, Kanu Agabi SAN, and the PDP urged the court to dismiss the appeal stating that their evidence are merely documentary. On the issue of BVAS, Agabi argued that it was sufficiently demonstrated in the Tribunal as demanded by law, with the print out from the machine shown, against the argument that they were merely dumped without being analysed.  Agabi who referred the court to the judgment of the Tribunal argued that in delivering judgment, the lower court painstakingly gave a breakdown of how it arrived at its decision.

151 Days After Unlawful Detention, Court Grants Emefiele Bail 

Emefiele Not Owner Of Firm That Awarded N1.2bn Contract - Witness 

The High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Maitama, on Wednesday admitted the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele to conditional bail after 151 days in detention. Justice Olukayode Adegbola Adeniyi held that Emefiele had stayed in government security custody beyond the time stipulated by law. The Judge also predicated his decision on the fact that the Federal Government had completed investigation into the allegations against the former CBN Chief and had even prepared the charged against him as far as August this year. On the bail conditions, the court held that Emefiele must be released to his Senior lawyer Matthew Burkaa SAN who must produce him any day the Federal Government chooses to arraign him. Emefilele is also to deposit his travelling passport with the Registrar of the Court pending his formal arraignment. In a ruling on the application for bail argued by Mathew Burkaa, SAN, Justice Adeniyi held that it is in the best interest of justice and fair play especially the provision of section 35 of Nigeria’s Constitution to follow the rule of law. The Judge specifically said that there must be an end to detention without trial by the federal holiday. Both the FG, and AGF re-presented by Oyin Koleoso had strongly objected to Emefiele’ s request for bail on the ground that he would interfere with the November 15 arraignment but did not tell the court how the interference would be done. EFCC on its part through its counsel, Farouk Abudalla insisted that Emefiele had not spent three months in its own custody and urged the Court to refuse the bail request. Counsel to the applicant however punctured the opposition of the Federal Government adding that the claim of likelihood of interference in arraignment was speculative because his client was not declared a flight risk. He told Justice Ademiyi to disregard the claim of EFCC that Emefiele was brought to its custody only October 26. The Senior lawyer informed the Court that the former CBN boss was investigated by a team of inter Ministerial Investigators from EFCC, Police and Department of the State Security Service DSSS which jointly constituted government agency.

Court Order: EFCC Cringes, Produces Godwin Emefiele

Court Grants Emefiele N300m Bail

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja complied with the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory’s order regarding the case of former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele. After being held in custody by Federal Government security agencies for over 150 days, Emefiele was brought to court in accordance with the order issued by Justice Olukayode Adeniyi. Former CBN Governor Emefiele, dressed in a yellow Babariga and a Hausa cap, entered the courtroom at around 12:30, accompanied by a group of EFCC operatives providing security. Outside the court premises, Emefiele’s friends and relatives eagerly awaited the Judge’s arrival for a hearing in his fundamental human rights case. Justice Adeniyi reaffirmed his order on Monday, which mandated that the detained former CBN governor be brought to court on November 8.  This hearing’s purpose is to consider granting him bail.  The court also emphasized the option for the anti-graft agency to grant bail to Emefiele in accordance with the law on fundamental human rights.

Defamation: Kannywood Actress Slams Defamation Suit Against Civil Servant

Defamation: Kannywood Actress Slams Suit Against Civil Servant

Kannywood actress Hadiza Aliyu, popularly known as Hadiza Gabon, has taken legal action against Bala Musa, a civil servant.  The lawsuit, filed in a Magistrates’ court on Daura Road, Kaduna, accuses Musa of defamation of character. Hadiza Gabon’s counsel, Mr. Mubarak Sani, stated that the actress had been subjected to negative reactions and comments from the public due to false allegations made by the defendant. These allegations included claims that she cheated Musa by accepting his money but refused to marry him, allegations that were proven false. Bala Musa, represented by his counsel, Mr. Naira Murtala, denied the allegations. The Chief Magistrate, Shamsudeen Sulaiman, inquired if the complainant’s counsel had witnesses, to which they responded affirmatively.  The Chief Magistrate granted bail to the accused under the condition that he must provide two reliable sureties who are residents of Kaduna State and civil servants. The case has been adjourned to November 15 to allow the complainant to present their witnesses. Bala Musa had previously filed a suit against Hadiza Aliyu in a Shari’a Court in March 2022, alleging that she had refused to marry him after he had given her N396,000.  Aliyu had denied any knowledge of Musa and stated that she had never met or spoken to him, disavowing any relationship with him. During the earlier case, it was revealed that four individuals were recipients of the money claimed to have been sent to the defendant.  Two of them, Fatima Abdullahi and Abdullahi Yusuf, confessed to impersonating the actress and receiving money in her name, pleading for forgiveness from the court. Following a request from Musa’s counsel to transfer the case to an Upper Sharia Court, the case was dismissed by Judge Isiyaku Abdulrahman on October 31, and Hadiza Aliyu was discharged. Additionally, the defendant’s counsel and client were ordered to pay N500,000 to the actress for wasting her time.