Bayelsa Teachers Threaten Indefinite Strike Over N30,000 Minimum Wage

The Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) has threatened to commence indefinite strike in public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa over the N30,000 minimum wage and promotion arrears. The union took the decision at an executive meeting on October 12, after an earlier three-day warning strike failed to compel the Bayelsa Government to act. The teachers had given a 14-day ultimatum to the government and local councils to address the plight of teachers across the state or face industrial action. The grievances, according to the NUT, include inability of both state and local governments to implement the N30,000 minimum wage and effect promotion of primary school teachers in the state. The union said teachers were meted with untold hardships due to the non payment of promotion arrears to the teachers. NUT expressed dissatisfaction with government’s continuous negligence of the plight of teachers who played critical role in the state, in spite of engaging them at different fora in futility. The union said the attitude of government had brought nothing but humiliation and frustration to primary and secondary school teachers in the state. It said the 14-day ultimatum took effect from, October 13 after failure to address the issues within the limit of the ultimatum would force teachers in the state to go on strike. The strike notice was ratified by the constituent eight local government branches of NUT in Bayelsa. Signatories to the communique after the meeting included chairmen of LG branches of the union. Meanwhile, Dr Gentle Emelah, Bayelsa Commissioner for Education, declined comments when contacted as he did not respond to telephone calls and messages requesting for government’s clarification. Schools in Bayelsa had vacated on August 29 due to expected flood and are slated to resume on November 13.
Resident doctors end nationwide strike

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has taken the decision to suspend its nationwide strike, with medical professionals scheduled to resume their duties starting Saturday. This development was officially confirmed by the association’s National President, Innocent Orji, on Friday evening. In a concise message scooped from Channels Television by NIGERIAN ANCHOR, Orji stated, “Good evening. We just suspended the strike. Work to resume 8 am tomorrow. We will review the progress made in two weeks.” This action comes shortly after the doctors had called off their planned nationwide protest, which was intended to underscore their various demands. Among the primary objectives pursued by NARD is the request for an expanded workforce to fill the vacancies left by doctors who have either migrated or passed away. Orji emphasized the consequences of inadequate staffing in healthcare institutions, stating, “Our members are suffering. Nigerians are suffering too. When you don’t have the right number of doctors in the hospital, there is no way it is not going to affect the healthcare service delivery system. And nobody has come out to tell us that what we are saying is not true.” Regarding previously established guidelines from the government, Orji expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of implementation: “The government on its own set up a ministerial committee that came up with a guideline since February this year, why hasn’t that guideline been circularised?” He criticized the government for not meeting the doctors’ demands and raised questions about the government’s response to their concerns. Earlier, the union’s leadership engaged in discussions with senators, including Senate President Godswill Akpabio. NARD had initiated a “total and indefinite strike action” on July 25, 2023, in pursuit of various demands, including improved wages for doctors.