Electoral Bill Passes Second Reading, Paving Way for Electronic Transmission of Election Results

The Nigerian House of Representatives achieved a significant milestone on Wednesday as it passed the Electoral Act 2022 Amendment Bill for Second Reading, brightening the prospect for electronic transmission of election results to minimise fraud in the nation’s electoral process. The Bill sponsored by Hon. Francis Waive, representing the Ughelli North/Ughelli South/Udu federal constituency of Delta State, aims to amend the existing Electoral Act to facilitate the electronic transmission of election results. During the debate on the general principles of the bill, Hon. Waive underscored the inadequacies of the current Electoral Act 2022 and emphasized the importance of modernizing it to accommodate electronic transmission of election results. He argued that such an amendment is essential for strengthening Nigeria’s democracy and combating electoral fraud. In addition to advocating for electronic transmission, Hon. Waive proposed a regular review of the voter register every ten years. This measure, he argued, would contribute to the overall transparency and fairness of the electoral system by ensuring accuracy and integrity in voter data. The advancement of the Electoral Act 2022 Amendment Bill to its Second Reading marks a significant step forward in Nigeria’s electoral reform efforts. If passed into law, it has the potential to usher in a new era of transparency and accountability in the country’s electoral processes.
22 killed in twin blasts on Pakistan election eve

At least 22 people were killed Wednesday in two separate bomb blasts outside poll candidate offices in southwestern Pakistan, officials said, on the eve of an election marred by violence and allegations of poll rigging. The first attack occurred near the office of an independent candidate in the Pishin district, around 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the city of Quetta and around 100 kilometres from the border with Afghanistan. Caretaker information minister for Balochistan province Jan Achakzai and Quetta police both put the death toll from that blast at a dozen, with 25 more wounded. A second blast hit near the election office of a candidate for the Islamist Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-F (JUI-F) party in the city of Killa Saifullah — about 120 kilometres (75 miles) east — according to Achakzai. “At least 10 people were killed and 12 others injured,” he told AFP. “The incident took place in the main bazaar of the city area, where the election office of the JUI-F was targeted,” a senior police official told AFP. In July last year, 44 people were killed by a suicide bomber at a political gathering of the right-wing JUI-F party in northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. More than half a million security officers began deploying Wednesday on the eve of the election, with authorities distributing ballot papers to more than 90,000 polling stations. The election has been marred by allegations of pre-poll rigging following a crackdown on the party of jailed former prime minister Imran Khan, winner of the 2018 poll, but booted out of power by a national assembly vote of no-confidence four years later. There have also been multiple security incidents in the run-in to Thursday’s vote, with at least two candidates shot dead and dozens more targeted in attacks across the country. Campaigning officially ended on Tuesday night and voting is due to begin at 8:00 am local time (0300 GMT) on Thursday, closing at 5:00 pm. The figures are staggering in a country of 240 million people — the world’s fifth most populous — with around 128 million eligible to vote. Nearly 18,000 candidates are standing for seats in the national and four provincial assemblies, with 266 seats directly contested in the former – an additional 70 reserved for women and minorities – and 749 places in the regional parliaments. “We must ensure security measures at every level,” Sindh provincial police chief Rafat Mukhtar told a news briefing Wednesday in the port city of Karachi.
Police Intercepts Vehicle Loaded with Political Thugs in Yobe

The Yobe State Police Command says, working in collaboration with the Nigerian Army, it has interpreted an 18-seater bus boarded with political thugs in Gashua Local Government Area on mission to arrive at Damaturu to disrupt the electoral process. DSP Dungus Abdulkarim, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Yobe Police Command, Damaturu revealed in a statement made available to Nigerian Anchor in Damaturu. According to him “On 3rd February 2024 at about 0700hrs Military Checkpoint intercepted the bus while conveying thugs to Damaturu Metropolitan Council to cause mayhem in the electoral process but made their Waterloo, the police took them into custody for a district investigation and subsequent prosecution. The following are some of the suspects arrested: Abu Bakar Garba Bololo, aged 25, Habu Mato, aged 35, Suleman Musa, aged 50, Yusuf Danjuma, aged 33, Abdullahi Haruna, aged 45. Others are Zanab Mohammed, aged 25 of Unguwan Lawan and Rachael Bitrus, aged 23 and seven other syndicate members of Jakusko and Gashua LGA”. “The suspects claimed they were recruited to serve as agents of one of the opposition parties. Meanwhile, the investigation is swift to unravel the criminal implications of the matter”. “In this regard, the Commissioner of police in the state, Garba Ahmed, reiterated the commitment of the Police and sister Security Agencies to ensure the security and safety of the electorate and relative peace enjoyed in the State. “However, calls on the good members of the public to remain resolute and shun violence, thuggery as security is firm to act on any untoward deviation”.
Enugu Rerun-Election: Labour Party Calls For Cancellation

The Labour Party, LP, has described the House of Representatives re-run election in Igbo-Eze/Udenu federal constituency, Enugu State, as a sham and called for a total cancellation of the exercise. The national secretary of the party, Umar Farouk, who led its monitoring team to polling stations involved in the by-elections on Saturday, told journalists that due process was not followed. He said that accreditation was compromised, result sheets were hijacked, and BVAS machines were disregarded while voters were not allowed to exercise their right to vote. The LP national secretary, who addressed the press in the company of the party’s House of Representatives candidate, Dennis Agbo, called on the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to immediately cancel elections in areas where illegalities have been reported. In his comments, Dennis Agbo also called for the immediate and total cancellation of the supplementary election. He accused the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, of using the local government vigilante to intimidate LP supporters. Agbo said LP members were chased away from polling booths by the local vigilantes and further alleged that INEC officials took instructions from PDP officials and allowed voting to take place in private houses.
Lagos by-election: Fashola inexplicably absent at polling unit

A former governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN), was inexplicably absent at his polling unit, to vote for his party’s (APC) candidate for the Surulere 1 House of Representatives. Fashola, who was expected at the polling unit with the wife, Mrs Abimbola Fashola, was not seen throughout the election. Journalists, who waited for the former Minister of Power, Works and Housing, from 8.a.m. when the election started, left for other places after hours of waiting, while some stayed till the end on the possibility of him coming. One of the party members who pleaded anonymity said that the former governor was actually expected to come around to exercise his franchise. ”We actually expected him but along the line it was clear that he will not be coming again. I heard that he is not in town,” the party member said. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that voting for the Surulere Federal Constituency 1 in Polling Unit 002, at State Junior Grammar School (Special), Itolo Street, Eric Moore, Surulere, started at 8.00 a.m, as INEC agents arrived on time to set up the unit. The unit, which is the venue where Fashola was expected to cast his vote, saw voters trickling in. The unit which had 750 registered voters, recorded only 45 voters who came to exercise their franchise.
Off-cycle Elelctions: INEC Chairman Seeks Air Force Support and Collaboration

Further to preparations towards a successful conduct of forthcoming off-cycle electuons nationwide, the Chairman of Independent National Elec5oral Commission, Prof Mahmoud Yakubu has solicited support of the Nigeria Airforce. The INEC Chairman disclosed that the Commission is set to conduct bye-elections and re-run elections in 26 states, covering various levels of representation. Speaking during a visit to the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal H.B. Abubakar, Prof. Yakubu expressed gratitude for the warm reception and congratulated the Air Chief on his appointment. He also commended the Air Force for cooperating with election management body regarding election security and logistics, highlighting their professionalism and neutrality. With elections scheduled in nine states to fill vacancies in the national and state assemblies, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu emphasized the need for collaboration with national assets, including the Nigerian Air Force (NAF). Addressing the upcoming electoral tasks, the Chairman outlined the extensive scale of the elections, involving 80 local government areas, 575 registration areas/wards, and 8,934 polling units. A total of 4,904,627 registered voters are expected to participate, with 4,613,291 Permanent Voters’ Cards (PVCs) already collected. Recognizing the enormity of the assignment, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu stressed that the Commission cannot accomplish it alone. Referring to Section 27(3) of the Electoral Act 2022, he highlighted the legal provision empowering the Commission to seek support from security, intelligence, and law enforcement agencies for the efficient delivery of materials and protection of election officials. In preparation for the elections, the Chairman sought the support of the NAF in expeditiously delivering materials to specific locations in the North East, South East, and South West geopolitical zones. The Commission, in collaboration with the Central Bank of Nigeria, is handling the evacuation of materials from focal airports to states where elections will occur. Prof. Mahmood Yakubu assured transparency in the inspection and movement of materials, involving all stakeholders, including political parties’ agents, observers, and the media. In conclusion, the Chairman expressed gratitude to the Chief of the Air Staff for the audience and support, anticipating yet another seamless collaboration with the Nigerian Air Force. In his remarks, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal H.B. Abubakar expressed gratitude to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Mahmood Yakubu, for fostering democracy and strengthening collaboration between the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and INEC, emphasizing their shared commitment to good governance, stability, and the rule of law across Nigeria. He noted that there is an alternative aircraft for transporting sensitive materials, urging timely planning due to capacity limitations. Additionally, he reminded Prof. Yakubu of outstanding bills, emphasizing their settlement for enhanced service delivery. In closing, the CAS expressed gratitude for the visit, foreseeing increased cooperation and synergy between NAF and INEC as he anticipated positive impacts on Nigeria’s democratic processes, affirming their collective commitment to maintaining the country’s status as the giant of Africa.
Feb 3 Bye-Elections: INEC Expresses Concern Over Threats Of Violence

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has raised worry about threats of violence ahead of the February 3 bye-elections and rerun. Speaking Tuesday in Abuja at a meeting of the Interagency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES), INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu stated that, based on his experience, conducting isolated elections, such as bye-elections and reruns, can be extremely difficult. He said, “We must pay attention to the potentials for disruptive behaviour by some candidates and their supporters. A re-run election conducted in one Polling Unit or a handful of Polling Units can be severely disrupted by acts of thuggery knowing full well that these few locations will determine the outcome of the election. “Arising from the reports we received from the States, concerns have been raised about the impact of the prevailing insecurity in some States on the conduct of the elections, made worse by incendiary statements by some political actors. We will present such concerns and reports at this meeting for appropriate security response.” Yakubu noted that there are many parties involved in elections and that security agencies must ensure that INEC can deploy staff and materials, protect observers, the media, and the polling and collation agents who represent the candidates and political parties. “Without a secure and peaceful environment, the conduct of credible elections is imperiled,” he stated. Speaking on the by-election, Yakubu said, “There are two categories of elections. First are the bye-elections arising from the death or resignation of members of the National and State legislative houses affecting two Senatorial Districts, four Federal and three State Assembly Constituencies. “The second category is the re-run elections by order of Election Petition Appeal Tribunals. In my remarks at the Commission’s extraordinary meeting with leaders of political parties last month, I reported that the elections affect 35 National and State Constituencies. Since then, four additional orders of the Court of appeal have been served on the Commission in respect of Yabo/Shagari Federal Constituency of Sokoto State, Madara/Chinade State Constituency of Bauchi State as well as Kudan and Kauru/Chawai State Constituencies of Kaduna State. “This brings the total number of affected constituencies to 39 which translates to 2.6% of the 1,491 Constituencies for which elections were conducted nationwide in the 2023 General Election. “The nine bye-elections are fresh elections covering the entire constituencies. However, with the exception of three Constituencies (Plateau North Senatorial District and Jos North/Bassa Federal Constituency in Plateau State and Kachia/Kagarko Federal Constituency in Kaduna State), the re-run elections are to be held in a few Polling Units. In some cases, only one Polling Unit is affected in an entire Federal or State Constituency.”
Kaduna: Uba Sani wins at the Supreme Court
The Supreme Court has affirmed the Victory of Uba Sani of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the March 18 governorship election in Kaduna state. The Apex Court upheld the decision of the Court of Appeal, Abuja which set aside the decision of the Kaduna governorship election tribunal sacking Sani and declaring the governorship election in the state as inconclusive. Delivering the Lead Judgement, Justice Tijani Abubakar dismissed the appeal for lacking in merit. More Details later
S’Court Upheld Nasir Idris as Kebbi State Gov

The Supreme Court has affirmed the election of Nasir Idris of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the Governor of Kebbi State. The Apex Court upheld the decision of the Court of Appeal, Abuja dismissing the appel filed by the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Aminu Bande challenging the victory of at the March 18 governorship election. Delivering the Lead Judgement, Justice Abba Aji dismissed the appeal for lacking in merit More Details later
Gombe Guber: Gov Yahaya election affirmed a S’Court

The Supreme Court on Friday, dismissed an appeal by Jibrin Barde of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP)challenging the election of Governor Muhammad Yahaya of Gombe state. The Apex court lead judgment read by Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun, unanimously dismissed an appeal by Barde for want of merit, incompetent and liable to be dismissed. Consequently, the apex court has affirmed the decision of the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja, which had in November, 2023, upheld the election of Yahaya as Governor of Gombe State. The appellate court had upheld Yahaya’s election after dismissing two separate appeals challenging his declaration as winner of the March 18, governorship election in the state.