Airports to go cashless, FAAN holds concessionaires’ engagement 

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN)  is finalising automation of payment processes at airports nationwide starting with Murtala Muhammed International Airport. The Managing Director of FAAN, Mrs Olubunmi Kuku, gave the assurance on Monday in Lagos. Kuku spoke at FAAN’s Directorate of Commercial and Business Development Stakeholder Engagement. The engagement  had the theme: “Strengthening Partnerships for Sustainable Growth and Development”. Kuku emphasised the need for Electronic Cash Register (ECR) devices for payments and automation of toll gates and parking facilities to enhance transparency and accountability. “Today, the environment is slightly porous as people are just using physical ID cards and identification to pass through. “We are actually going to be integrating that with BVN and  NIN  and, of course, biometrics on the domestic side,” she said. Kuku said that the authority was commitment to providing smart airports and processes for business partners. She  emphasised  the need for concessionaires to make timely payments and adhere to contract terms. Kuku expressed dissatisfaction at the presence of tankers, which did not have any business at airport area. She asked  that they should vacate the area or be sanctioned. “We are going to be taking very drastic actions because it is obnoxious for an airport environment. “I have realised that a lot of these tankers do not belong to those who operate in our environment.” Kuku said there was the need to update and categorise concessionaires to address fee discrepancies. She identified four major categories based on business type, retail mix and offerings to ensure fair and transparent fee structures. The Director of Commercial and Business Development, FAAN, Ms Adebola Agunbiade, spoke on FAAN’s revenue scorecard for 2024. Agunbiade said that FAAN  generated 92 per cent of revenue from aeronautics and  eight per cent  from non-aeronautics. “This is not very good for us. International standard is 55 per cent aeronautical revenue and  45 per cent non-aeronautical, and we are very far from that. “All of the initiatives that we have come up with and keep coming up with are to help us to drive our non-aeronautic businesses. “That is why you all are here. We are hoping that we will get your support to be able to achieve this,” she said. She said that FAAN would review its tariffs, adding that it had ‘suffered a lot from obsolete charges’. Stakeholders in catering, car hiring, retailing and indoor advertising, among others, were present at the event. 

Air Peace Airfares: Keyamo lashes out at FCCPC

He says about the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC): “We cannot have an agency of government floating all over the place, having all the powers. That means if there is problem with yam pricing, they will go and call the agricultural minister.” Mr. Festus Keyamo, the Aviation and Aerospace Development Minister lampooned the FCCPC for their lack of circumspection for coming to the media space to attack Air Peace without due regard to the effort the ministry is putting in to develop the aviation industry. Earlier this December, FCCPC had threatened to probe Air Peace over what it called “exploitative practices”, especially “significant price hikes for advance bookings on certain domestic routes” following consumer complaints. Mr. Keyamo, while appearing on Arise TV this Sunday, berated the FCCPC for their statement, calling it “very carless.” READ ALSO: What is the Arab Spring and How did it Start? “I think it was a very careless statement – I say that with all apologies – by the agency, without even consulting the core agency involved in regulation, which is the NCAA,” the Minister said. “We cannot have an agency of government floating all over the place, having all the powers. That means if there is problem with yam pricing, they will go and call the agricultural minister.” “They should have contacted the NCAA for them to look at the figures and the books which we have been doing, so we would have given them facts. But to single out a few airlines while we are struggling to expose them to the world for them to get more enhanced capacity was a bit careless,” Mr. Keyamo, SAN, reasoned.

Private Jets Must Get Clearance Before Leaving Nigeria, Says Keyamo

Aviation Minister, Festus Keyamo, says no private jet, including those belonging to high-profile individuals can depart the country without official approval. Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today, Keyamo addressed concerns over the movement of private planes and airstrips, stressing that all departures, whether for private or military aircraft, must undergo proper clearance. Keyamo explained that private jets must land at international airports for customs, immigration, and other checks before flying out of Nigeria.  He also confirmed that Oyedepo’s airstrip follows the same procedures, dispelling misconceptions that private airstrips could bypass these regulations.  He said: “They were only concerned about the fact that they thought that somebody can take off from a private airstrip and fly out of Nigeria or fly into Nigeria. It is not possible. “You must land in an international airport first. Then the Customs, immigration and NDLEA will process you before you take off from there to your private airstrip. If you are also flying out, you must land at an international airport. You will go through Customs, immigration and all the normal process before flying out. “So nobody uses an airstrip for any such purpose without seeking clearance. At every point in time, the authorities must approve.” The Minister also shared that the country operates around 40 airstrips, with 23 federal and about 8 or 9 state-owned airports.

Helicopter Crash In Port Harcourt Claims Three Lives

A tragic incident occurred in Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, where three individuals lost their lives in a helicopter crash. Odutayo Oluseyi, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace Development, confirmed the unfortunate event in a statement released on Thursday. According to the Ministry, eight persons were on board when the helicopter “ditched into the waters near Bonny Finima in the Atlantic Ocean.” The statement reads, “received the distressing report of a helicopter accident that occurred today, 24th October 2024, at about 11:22 a.m., along the waterways in Port Harcourt.“ The helicopter, a Sikorsky SK76 with registration 5NBQG and operated by East Wind Aviation, was en-route from Port Harcourt Military Base (DNPM) to the NUIMANTAN oil rig. “The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau has been notified and emergency response teams were immediately activated, and search and rescue operations are ongoing with the support of the Nigerian Search and Rescue Unit, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), the National Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB), and other relevant agencies.“ Neighbouring aerodromes have also been notified for support. “While no Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) signal was received, manual efforts to plot the location of the accident are underway, and all available resources, including the military and low-flying aircraft, have been deployed to assist in locating and rescuing any survivor(s).“So far, three bodies have been recovered.” The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, is actively working with all relevant agencies to ensure a coordinated response and to minimize casualties from this unfortunate incident. “Further information will be provided as details emerge. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those on board, and we are committed to providing the necessary support during this difficult time.” Meanwhile, sources that spoke with TheNation said that all the victims onboard were feared killed. “There were six personnel and two crew members onboard the helicopter. Three bodies have been recovered so far. Search and rescue is ongoing.“ The helicopter belongs to Eastwind Aviation,” the source stated.

Aviation unions to protest 50% IGR deduction

Unions in the air transport sector have voiced concerns about the continued deduction of 50 per cent from the internally generated revenue of aviation agencies, saying it has concluded plans to embark on a peaceful protest over the issue. The unions include the National Union of Air Transport Employees, NUATE, Association of Nigeria Aviation Professionals, ANAP, National Association of Aircraft Pilots And Engineers, NAAPE, Amalgamated Union of Public Corporations, Civil Service Technical and Recreational Services Employees, AUPCTRE, Air Transport Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, ATSSSAN.

Flight operations diverted as fire breaks out at Lagos airport

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has diverted all flight operations from Terminal 1 of the Murtala Muhammad International Airport (MMIA) to the D wing following a fire incident at the terminal. According to a statement by the Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Obiageli Orah, on Thursday, April 25, officials of the Airport Rescue and Firefighting Services (ARFFS) were mobilised to contain the fire after a smoke was detected at E54 bridge The statement reads: “At 05:29 hrs, smoke was detected billowing from the E54 Bridge, leading electrical engineers to immediately cut off power to the entire E Wing. “The Airport Rescue and Firefighting Services (ARFFS) team was quick to respond, arriving at the scene by 05:30 hrs. “Initial suspicions point to sparks from an electrical unit as the cause, but a thorough investigation is ongoing to ascertain the cause of the fire. The incident, which had escalated into a fire, was brought under control by 06:41 hrs. “Efforts to ventilate the smoke from the building are in progress. In the meantime, all flight operations in Terminal 1 of MMA have been diverted to the D Wing.”

NCAA suspends three private jet operators for operating commercial flights

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority has suspended the permit of three private jet operators for engaging in commercial flights. This was according to a Riot Act on the NCAA’s website on Tuesday, signed by the Acting Director General, Captain Chris Najomo. The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, had on Monday warned private jet operators unlicensed to operate commercial services that their activities were causing the Federal Government a huge loss of revenue. The minister issued the warning in an interview on Channels TV programme, Newsnight, on Monday. Keyamo said, “Almost all these private jets are operating commercially resulting in a huge loss of revenue for the Federal Government because the licence to fly a private aircraft privately and the one to fly it commercially is so much. “When it is commercial, the money paid to the Federal Government is so much. So, people now take licences from us to say I have just bought a private jet and I want to be using it for my business or to fly my friends and family, and we give them at a very low fee. “However, the moment they are given, they carry passengers all over Nigeria doing six or eight flights a day. This is a notice to them on camera, I am coming for them because the president has given us a marching order, and we are not going to allow it. “First, in terms of passengers’ safety, the regulation is low. Second, it is economic sabotage and I won’t allow that to happen. People who are my friends or the president’s friends, we will come down on them and, perhaps, ground all their planes. We will come very hard on them. In a matter of days or weeks, we are going to come down on them because we have to raise revenue for the Federal Government, ensure that the laws are kept and ensure the safety of Nigerians.” However, expediting action on the warning issued, the acting DG of NCAA in a Riot Act on Tuesday, suspended three jet operators found guilty of engaging in commercial flights. The acting DG disclosed that despite several warnings, these jet operators continued to engage in commercial flight operations, hence their suspension. The message read, “Back in 2023, the use of private jets for commercial purposes had gotten the attention of the Honourable Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, SAN, who issued marching orders for the cessation of such acts. “Subsequently, in March 2024, the NCAA issued a stern warning to holders of the permit for non-commercial flights, PNCF, against engaging in the carriage of passenger-cargo or mail for hire and reward. “The Authority had also deployed its officials to monitor activities of private jets at terminals across the airports in Nigeria. As a consequence of this heightened surveillance, no fewer than three private operators have been found to be involved in violation of the annexure provision of their PNCF and Part 91.14 of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations.” Najomo noted that suspending the jet operators for flouting several warnings was in line with the Authority’s zero tolerance for violation of regulations. He continued, “In line with our zero tolerance for violation of regulations, the Authority has suspended the PNCF of these operators. To further sanitise the general aviation sector, I have directed that a re-evaluation of all holders of PNCF be carried out on or before the 19th of April 2024 to ascertain compliance with regulatory requirements.” The statement further directed that all holders of the Permit for Non-Commercial Flights should submit relevant documents to the Authority within 72 hours. It added, “All PNCF holders will be required to submit relevant documents to the authority within the next 72 hours. “This riot act is also directed at existing Air Operator Certificate (AOC) holders, who utilize aircraft listed on their PNCF for commercial charter operations. “It must be emphasised that only aircraft listed in the operation”.

Why Air Peace, Others Can’t Compete With Big International Airlines – Keyamo

The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, has said domestic airlines cannot compete with big international airlines because they don’t have access to aircraft on the same terms as them. Keyamo disclosed that the federal government is working with the Aviation Working Group on a practice direction to enable domestic airline operators to dry lease aircraft. In an interview on Arise Television on Monday, Keyamo revealed that some local operators had in the past breached the Cape Town Convention, which regulates aircraft leasing across the world. The minister said the Aviation Working Group, co-chaired by Airbus and Boeing, has said Nigeria would be blacklisted until it implements a law that would guide such from happening. He said: “Why we cannot compete with big international airlines is because we don’t have access to aircraft on the same terms as they have. People don’t know that the best airlines in the world run their fleet 100 per cent based on the actual purchase of aircraft. Recent studies show that 70 per cent of the fleet across the world is on dry leases. “For airlines that have bank facilities, they have access to loans in single digits, but our banks do 26 per cent. It was as a result of this that I called industry people to inform them that in order to survive, they must have access to these aircraft as those around the world. “So, I went around to enquire about what guides aircraft leasing around the world, and I discovered it was the Cape Town Convention, which regulates aircraft leasing across the world. And Nigeria is a signatory to that convention. We have signed and ratified that convention. “And there is a group responsible for the observance and compliance of that convention. The group is co-chaired by Airbus and Boeing. The group is called the Aviation Working Group, headed by Jeffrey Wool. “I called all of them and held a meeting to ask why our local operators are not getting these aircraft. According to them, they have blacklisted Nigeria because it didn’t comply with the convention. “The Aviation Working Group told me that until our laws are amended, until our practice directions are amended from granting injunctions on aircraft on dry lease, they will not bring aircraft in dey lease into Nigeria. “So, I told them I would do that. I spoke with the Attorney General of the Federation, the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, the president and vice president, who is the head of the Ease of Doing Business; all of them have agreed that it is a critical issue. “We are in the process of drafting a practice direction to satisfy the Aviation Working Group that once we give a practice direction that says: ‘please, our judges, don’t grant injunctions to detain aircraft that are on dry lease in Nigeria because it gives us a bad image and it is against the Cape Town Convention of the Aviation Working Group’”.