N62,000 Minimum Wage: Beware of the rage of the people-Benson Upah

If the gathering storm is to be taken as a reliable pointer, then Nigeria may be headed for another major labour crisis as organized labour has not only rejected N62,000 minimum wage offered by government but cautioned that “some state governors, were behind the mischief.” Speaking at a live television programme this Monday morning, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Head of Information and Public Affairs, Mr. Benson Upah disclosed that about five state governors were bent on “throwing spanners to the works”. Even as he declined mentioning the names of these governors, the NLC spokesman cautioned the mischief makers to be aware that “the rage of labour is more manageable than the rage of the people.” Mr. Upah said that contrary to the impression being given to the Nigerian public about the lack of capacity, government revenue has now shot up as the amount being shared by the three tiers of government has moved from N700billion to N1.3trillion. He therefore assured that “Labour is not being difficult but talking about something which is practical and reasonable.” Pressed to state what shall be the next action of organized labour, Mr. Upah, who was guest at the Morning Show on Arise TV said, “appropriate organs of labour shall meet and take a decision.” He went further to state, “Our troops, our resources, our reaction time, our good intentions are intact. Appropriate organs of the unions will reconvene and take the right action.” Organised labour, comprising of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have been engaged in protracted negotiations over a new minimum wage, or at best a living wage. The big elephant at the room during these meetings had been the disproportionate pay politicians and other public office holders approve for themselves as compared to the very poor take home pay of the average worker. The current agitation for a higher pay had been triggered by ongoing hash economic reforms embarked upon by the Bola Ahmad Tinubu Presidency. First was the withdrawal of controversial subsidy on petrol. This was followed by the liberaisation of the foreign exchange market and the 240% upward review of electricity tariff. The combined effect of these changes had led to sudden rise in prices of foodstuff and essential services like the cost of transportation and medicaments. Following its rejection of the N62,000 offered by the federal and subnational governments, organized labour has scheduled a National Executive Council (NEC) meeting for tomorrow, Tuesday to deliberate on the next line of action.
Labour may resume strike Tuesday after rejecting N62,000, insists on N250,00

The Organised Labour has said it will not accept any N62,000 or N100,000 “starvation wage” as the minimum wage for Nigerian workers. It insisted on N250,000, being its latest demand at the last meeting of the Tripartite Committee on Minimum Wage on Friday, as the living wage for an average Nigerian worker. This was made known on Monday by Chris Onyeka, Assistant General Secretary of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, while fielding questions on Channels Television’s The Morning Brief show. Onyeka said the one-week grace period given to the Federal Government last Tuesday, June 4, 2024, would expire by the midnight of Tuesday, June 11, 2024. According to him, should the Federal Government and National Assembly fail to act on the demands of workers by tomorrow (Tuesday), the organs of the NLC and the Trade Union Congress, TUC, would meet to decide on the resumption of the nationwide industrial action relaxed last week. “Our position is very clear. We have never considered accepting N62,000 or any other wage that we know is below what we know is able to take Nigerian workers home. We will not negotiate a starvation wage. “We have never contemplated N100,000 let alone N62,000. We are still at N250,000, that is where we are, and that is what we considered enough concession to the government and the other social partners in this particular situation. We are not just driven by frivolities but the realities of the market place; realities of things we buy every day, bag of rice, yam, garri, and all of that. “The Federal Government and the National Assembly have the call now. It is not our call. Our demand is there for them (the government) to look at and send an Executive Bill to the National Assembly, and for the National Assembly to look at what we have demanded, the various fact of the law, and then come up with a National Minimum Act that meets our demands.” He continued: “If that does not meet our demand, we have given the Federal Government a one-week notice to look at the issues and that one week expires tomorrow (Tuesday). If after tomorrow, we have not seen any tangible response from the government, the organs of the Organised Labour will meet to decide on what next. “It was clear what we said. We said we are relaxing a nationwide indefinite strike. It’s like putting a pause on it. “So, if you put a pause on something and the organs that govern us as trade unions decide that we should remove that pause, it means that we go back to what was in existence before.”
JUNE 12: FG Presents Programme Outline For 25th Democracy Day Celebration

The federal government has unveiled a lineup of activities to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Democracy Day, marking twenty-five years of continuous democratic governance in Nigeria. The announcement was made in a notice issued by Abdulhakeem Adeoye, acting on behalf of the Director of Information and Public Relations in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF). The notice outlines that the celebration will start on Tuesday, June 11, with a symposium held at the State House Conference Centre, Presidential Villa, Abuja, commencing at 9:00 am. Following the symposium, a youth conference is scheduled to take place at Ladi Kwali Hall, Abuja Continental Hotel, Abuja, starting at 6:00 pm. The agenda for Wednesday, June 12, includes a grand parade at Eagle Square, Abuja, at 8:00 AM, followed by a dinner at the State House Banquet Hall, Presidential Villa, Abuja, at 6:00 PM. “The programmes lined up for the celebration include a symposium on Tuesday, June 11, at 9:00 AM at the State House Conference Centre, Presidential Villa, Abuja. “Later that day, a youth conference will hold at Ladi Kwali Hall, Abuja Continental Hotel, Abuja, at 6:00 PM. “A grand parade will take place on Wednesday, June 12, at 8:00 AM at Eagle Square, Abuja,” followed by “a dinner at the State House Banquet Hall, Presidential Villa, Abuja, at 6:00 PM,” the noice read. Furthermore, the notice assured to provide additional updates as the celebration comes closer.
Presidency Announces N60m grants for youths

The Presidency on Saturday announced that the sum of N60 million has been disbursed to 120 youths selected from across the country. The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Technical, Vocational and Entrepreneurship Education (SSAP-TVEE), Abiola Arogundade, made this known in Abuja at the award of grants and Solar Kiosks as well as Certificate of Completion to deserving participants of ‘Unlock Training Programme’. She noted that the programme was the outcome of a six-week campaign initiated by the Presidency during which Nigerian youths were asked to record and submit a one minute video on their current TVET skills, what their plans are for the future on such skills and how they want the government to assist them achieve their plans. Arogundade said during the programme, both online and physical participants were trained on the components of a good business plan including executive summary, business overview and marketing strategies, pricing, money management and risks, among others. The presidential aide added that at the end of the campaign, about 10,000 participants were trained in a 10-day intensive training session on how to write and execute business plans. Her words: “After the course, participants were asked to write and submit business plans. Today, we are giving out N500,000 grants each to 120 winners with the best Business Plans. “We are also giving out honourary awards to 80 persons seen to be doing very well in their Technical, Vocational and Entrepreneurship skills but need support to upscale their businesses. “As you must have seen on your way in, there are four Solar Kiosks to be given away to winners to support the business development of their TVET skills. They include one designed for hair dressing, one designed for catering and food vending and the other two for general purposes.”
Finance Minister, Wale Edun, Speaks After Meeting Tinubu over Minimum Wage

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, has said that “there is no cause for alarm” following a meeting with President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa in Abuja. Edun was accompanied by the Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu. The development comes two days after Tinubu directed the finance minister to present a proposed new minimum wage figure and analysis of associated costs to him within 48 hours. Although the agenda of Thursday’s meeting was not disclosed, it is believed to be connected to the President’s directive on Tuesday. It can be recalled that the Tripartite Committee on new minimum wage met on Wednesday. The meeting was inconclusive due to the federal government team’s failure to present a new figure, despite proposing N60,000 as the new minimum wage, which was rejected by the organized labour. It is understood that the government team is expected to present a fresh figure at today’s meeting scheduled for 2 pm.
Strike: ‘Why Labour Should Be Thankful To God That We Are Not In Military Regime’ – Presidency

The presidency has stated that in light of the recently lifted nationwide strike, organized labour should express gratitude that Nigeria is not under military rule. President Bola Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, pointed out that the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) enjoy ample freedom owing to Nigeria’s civilian regime. Speaking on TVC, Onanuga criticized labour for shutting down airports and the national grid as part of their efforts to enforce the nationwide strike. Onanuga said: “Labour should view itself as a partner with the Federal Government, not as an adversary to the Federal Government. “Labour should be thankful to God that we are not in a military regime. We are in a civilian regime that allows for freedom of expression. “I think that labour overstepped their bounds by shutting down the national grid. At a time when we are complaining about the lack of power, I think that act is extreme. You’re not supposed to shut down the airports on everyone else. Joining the strike should be voluntary. “I will appeal to labour to be more responsible in their reaction. They cannot be asking for what they are asking for. It is unrealistic.” Recall that organized labour initiated a nationwide strike on Monday to push for an enhanced pay package. The organised labour is demanding ₦494,000 minimum wage as opposed to ₦60,000 proposed by the Federal Government. However, President Tinubu reaffirmed his commitment to a wage exceeding ₦60,000, with the TUC and the NLC stressing their willingness to adjust their ₦494,000 demand. Following an agreement between the Nigerian Government and labour to raise the minimum wage.
Senate Approves 300% Salary Increase For Judicial Officers

The Senate has approved a bill seeking improved salaries, allowances, and fringe benefits for judicial officers at the federal and state levels. Towards this effect, a bill approving 300 per cent, pay raise for this category of judicial officers, scaled the third reading at the senate yesterday. The Senate approved a report presented by the Chairman of Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights, and Legal Matters, Senator Mohammed Tahir Monguno (APC- Borno North), to the lawmakers. In the report, Senator Monguna said adequate remuneration will allow judicial officers to focus on their professional development without worrying about financial constraint. “Hence, it will improve their professionalism and decision-making skills, and fair compensation for judicial officers is crucial for maintaining public trust in judiciary’s impartiality and integrity.” he noted. The bill is expected to be assented to by President Bola Tinubu.
NLC expresses disappointment over Fed Govt’s silence on electricity hike reversal

The Nigeria Labour Congress has described the federal government’s silence on the April 3 electricity tariff hike as disappointing. NLC disclosed this in its communique on Tuesday after its National Executive Council meeting where it suspended its indefinite strike for one week. The development comes after the federal government in a meeting with organized labour on Monday agreed to pay minimum wage higher than N60,000. However, the government has yet to say anything about the second part of labour’s demand, which is electricity tariff reversal. NLC expressed disappointment over the government’s silence and lack of concrete action regarding the reversal of the electricity tariff hike and the abolition of the apartheid classification of electricity consumers into Bands. “The NEC reaffirms that these issues are critical to alleviating the financial burden on Nigerian workers and the general populace. The electricity tariff hike and discriminatory Band classification remain unacceptable and must be addressed alongside the wage increase,” it stated. Recall that on April 3, the NERC approved tariff increment of over N200 per kwh for customers getting 20-24 hours power supply. The hike generated reactions among Nigerians. In reaction, the government earlier announced a minor reduction of N18, bringing it down to N208.80kwh for band A customers. However, unsatisfied with the reduction, the NLC, the Trade Union Congress and other organizations called for the complete reversal of the electricity tariff hike. It was part of the demand presented to the federal government, alongside the issue of minimum wage.
Resident Doctors to down tools Over Non-Payment Of Allowances

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has threatened to embark on a fresh industrial action over non-payment of accoutrement allowances owed their members. This was disclosed in a communique issued after its general meeting held in Kaduna State, while informing all its chapters to give a two-week ultimatum to the chief medical directors and managing directors (CMDs/ MDs) to immediately pay the owed allowance. The communique was signed by Dr Dele Abdullahi Olaitan, President; Dr Anaduaka Christopher Obinna, Secretary General; and Dr Egbe John Jonah, Public and Special Secretary. The resident doctors also warned that failure to comply with the directive would result in nationwide industrial actions. During the discussion, the group also urged for the abolition of doctor casualisation in order to ensure equitable and stable employment standards throughout the country. They also urged healthcare providers to speed up their transition to the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS), which would streamline payroll procedures. The doctors emphasised that any assault on medical staff would result in an immediate suspension of services until the area’s safety was secured for practice. They urged the National Assembly to approve legislation criminalising assaults on healthcare workers. They also suggested that the examination fees for the West African Colleges of Surgeons and Physicians be reduced in order to enable resident doctor registration. The doctors’ threat to embark on strike is coming shortly after the leadership of the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) resolved to relax the nationwide strike they embarked upon since Monday. The Labour leaders mentioned this after they convened a joint extraordinary National Executive Council in Abuja on Tuesday, top officials confirmed to newsmen. “The NLC and TUC are going to relax the strike and see what happens in the next one week with negotiations with FG,” one of the sources noted. “We’re just doing communique but it will be released after the meeting with the government team,” another senior official had confirmed.
Noisy vessels and the Presidential Victory Lap

We hear President Tinubu has directed his Minister of Finance and coordinating Minister of the Economy, Yemi Edu, to furnish him with the template for a reviewed minimum wage within 24 hours. And I say, Before nkò? If I’m president Tinubu, I’ll also direct the minister to prepare to implement a pay raise of about N120 or N150k immediately. Why not? When you win a battle, what do you do but celebrate? President Tinubu won this battle. Labour sold themselves very cheaply. First, the choice of battle was wrong, if you ask me. Organised Labour should not have fought for increase in minimum wage or living wage, slavish as that one sounds. How could you be fighting for any of these two in a clime where the top officials of your government rank among the most remunerated in the world? Our public officials have cornered the nation’s wealth to themselves. They arrange hefty pay packages for themselves and still go ahead to help themselves to the till without any consequence. On top of all that, they have cornered the highest paying MDAs where only their children and close relatives get employed. So, it was a very dumb move for NLC and TUC to be fighting for minimum wage instead of duelling for proper wealth distribution through the democratisation of employment opportunities. The way to achieve this is for Labour to press for uniform pay for public offices as was the case. Labour should be calling for a uniform pay for either all federal parastatals on the one hand or equal pay for all federal government ministries departments or agencies, on the other hand. So, whether it is NNPCL, CBN, FIRS or Federal Fire Service, or National Library, you shall operate the same pay structure. But as things stand now, whether the minimum wage is reviewed or not, the income gap between the politicians, their children, who are employed in these high-paying parastatals and the rest of us shall remain wide. Meanwhile, na the same market we dey go. The same fuel we dey buy, etc. At the end of it all, the hurly burly has come and gone at a great relief to President Tinubu and his friends the topmost level of government that this Labour battle cry was full of sound and fury but signifying nothing to be dreaded.