Reps flays FCT ‘park and pay’ policy

HOUSE OF REPS

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The House of Representatives Committee on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has criticized the “park and pay” system implemented by the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA). During an interactive session with Chinedum Elechi, the mandate secretary for the transportation secretariat, in Abuja on Wednesday, Mukthar Betara, chairman of the committee, expressed concerns about the policy, highlighting reports of harassment faced by residents and motorists from those enforcing it. The FCTA reintroduced the “park and pay” policy in August 2023 following agreements with two concessionaires, aiming to alleviate city congestion and enhance driving conditions. This policy had previously been suspended in April 2014 by a high court ruling that found it unlawful due to lack of legal backing. Betara sought details on the reintroduction process, the policy’s authorization, and how fees are remitted to the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA). In response, Elechi confirmed that the policy is supported by a legal framework and that parking is confined to designated areas. “The park and pay are by regulation. We have legal framework. It is part of the way of controlling traffic. ” So, under the part and pay, designated areas are meant to be parks. So, it is legal. It is revenue paid through concessionaires. According to him, there is usually a ration between the concessionaires and the FCT. So, for areas where we have concessionaires, there is a percentage that goes to the concessionaires. ” It is 60 per cent, and 40 per cent goes to FCT. The infrastructure for the work is usually provided by the concessionaire. The revenue goes straight to the revenue account of the FCT, not transportation.” The committee chairman queried the mandate secretary about the contract process, asking how the contract was established. ” In appointing your concessionaires, what procedure did you follow? How much has been remitted to the FCDA from January to date? Who gave you the approval?” Betara asked. Hussaina Olayemi, the director of legal services, transport, explained that the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission and the Abuja Investment Company, the FCT organisation responsible for public-private partnerships, were involved. “After their involvement, the concession was submitted to the federal executive council, for approval. So, we have the FEC approval,” Olayemi stated. The committee criticised the allocation of 60 per cent of revenue to concessionaires while the government receives only 40 per cent. Betara demanded clarification on what infrastructure the concessionaires are providing. Replying, Elechi stated that the concessionaire is responsible for marking roads. However, Mr Betara countered, asserting that no roads in Abuja have been marked by the concessionaire. “The way the concessionaires operate in Abuja, they harass people on the streets. I would have advised you people to have given the VIO this concessionaire. ”Let them take this up so that the whole revenue will go to FCT. Why are you personalising this for an individual?” Betara said.

Many trapped as Abuja building collapses 

A section of a two-storey residential apartment collapsed in Abuja on Saturday morning, with several people trapped in the rubble. According to Vanguard, the building located beside the popular Cupid Hotel on Cupid Road (Sultan Dasuki Way) in Kubwa was formerly a hotel, Al-Hilal. It later became a hospital, but since the hospital owners quit the premises, it became a residential apartment. While emergency responders and security personnel were on ground, rescue efforts were hampered as the cranes needed for the rescue were yet to arrive as of 8:45 am, nearly two hours after the incident. Two persons had, however, been rushed to a nearby hospital, while a few others escaped on their own. One of the escapees who did not want to reveal her identity said that when she woke up around 7 a.m. and came out of the house, she began hearing some cracks and then ran out

I Don’t Need Tinubu’s Permission To Embark On Projects – Wike Replies Kinigbe

By Our Correspondent  The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has asserted his independence in initiating projects, stating that apart from the President, Bola Tinubu, he does not require authorization from anyone to commence developments. Wike made these remarks during the commencement ceremony of the Kwaita-Yebu Road project in Kwali Area Council, estimated at ₦7 billion. This statement comes amidst a disagreement with FCT Senator Ireti Kingibe, who criticized Wike for undertaking infrastructure projects deemed irrelevant to FCT residents. Addressing critics at the event, Wike clarified, “For those unaware and without constructive criticism, suggesting we only focus on road construction, we are indeed making significant impacts. I do not need external approval to decide on project priorities.” He emphasized, “I am only accountable to the President, who appointed me. Therefore, no one else can dictate our development agenda or misinform the public about our educational initiatives.”

Senate passes N98.5bn FCT supplementary budget

The Senate on Tuesday, June 11, passed the sum of N98.5billion as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Supplementary Appropriation Bill, 2024. The passage of the Bill was a sequel to the consideration of the report of the Senate committee on FCT during plenary. The Senate had last week stepped down the Bill, saying the details of the budget needed to accompany it. The vice chairman of the committee, Senator Osita Ngwu (PDP-Enugu West) presented the report on behalf of the chairman of the Committee Senator Bomai Mohammed (APC-Yobe South) who was absent during the plenary. Details shortly…

BREAKING: Tinubu names Abuja expressway after Chinua Achebe

President Bola Tinubu has approved the naming of the M18 road infrastructure in Guzape District, Abuja after renowned novelist, Chinua Achebe. The President stated this during his address at the inauguration of the road in Abuja on Saturday, June 8. This was contained in a post by Special Assistant to President Tinubu on Social Media, Olusegun Dada. He wrote: “President Bola Ahmed Tinubu Commissions the M18 road infrastructure in Guzape District of Abuja. Names road after Nigerian Novelist and Poet, late Professor Chinua Achebe.”

FCT Police Arrest Notorious Kidnapper, Dahiru Adamu Whom Wike Placed N20 Million Bounty

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Command of the Nigeria Police has arrested a notorious kidnapper, Dahiru Adamu, who is part of the criminals terrorising Abuja and its environs. Adamu, whose real name is Saidu Abdulkadir, was arrested on Thursday by the FCT Police Command’s Anti-kidnapping unit when the operatives raided two kidnappers’ camps near the Nasarawa-Abuja border via Kuje area council at about 12am. Confirming the arrest, the FCT Police spokesperson, SP Josephine Adeh, in a statement on Friday, said on sighting the police, the criminals opened fire but were overpowered by the superior firepower of the Police. Adeh added that one Habu Yakubu and Isufu Abubakar, earlier abducted from Kwaita village via Pegi district of Kuje area council, were rescued unhurt during the process. The arrested suspect is the gang leader and one of the wanted suspects of the kidnapping syndicate paraded by the Police Command on 14th February, 2024. Adeh said: “Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect masterminded the kidnap and killing of one Mr Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti village. “While effort is till ongoing to apprehend the other wanted suspects on the run, the Commissioner of Police FCT, CP Benneth C. Igweh psc, mni, wishes to reassure criminals in FCT that there is no hiding place for them. He equally urges residents to report suspicious activities through the following emergency lines ; 08032003913, 08061581938, 07057337653, and 08028940883; PCB: 09022222352.” The arrest comes a few hours after the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, announced a 20 million naira reward for the capture of the kidnapper.