Philip Shaibu defects from PDP to APC

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma Philip Shaibu, reinstated deputy governor of Edo state, has officially dumped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and returned to the All Progressives Congress (APC). Shaibu made the announcement on Saturday in Benin City, the state capital, He was said to have rejoined the APC with leading members of the Dan Orbih-led Legacy Group of the PDP. “On behalf of the Legacy Group, I announce our movement to the APC. We have come to add value to the party,” Shaibu said. “It is time to take back our state. We will not talk too much because action will speak for us. We are not afraid. We are ready to move forward. “We, the homeboys, are ready to take our state back through the APC governorship candidate, Monday Okpebholo, and his running mate, Dennis Idahosa. “We are not troublemakers, but if it comes, we will use it to rub our body, and we move on.”

Edo Deputy Governor’s security strengthened as gunmen attack convoy of Okpebholo, Shaibu 

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma On Thursday in Benin, gunmen attacked the convoy of APC governorship candidate Sen. Monday Okpebholo and the reinstated deputy governor Philip Shaibu, resulting in the death of one security officer. The attack took place on Airport Road as Okpebholo and his team arrived from Abuja on a chartered flight. A police officer was killed and three others sustained injuries. Okpebholo’s condition remains unclear, though he is reported to be hospitalized in an undisclosed location in Benin City. This incident follows a Federal High Court ruling in Abuja on Wednesday that overturned Shaibu’s impeachment by the state House of Assembly. The Assembly has since appealed the ruling. The gunmen, stationed at the airport exit gate, opened fire on the convoy, leading to a retaliatory response from the security personnel protecting Okpebholo and Shaibu. The attack prompted businesses and offices in the vicinity to close quickly, and many motorists abandoned their vehicles and sought safety. SP Chidi Nwabuzor, spokesperson for the Edo police command, confirmed that the incident is currently under investigation. “It is premature for the police to confirm at this time until the investigation is concluded,” he said. Meanwhile, a check showed that security had been strengthened at the premises of the state Deputy Governor, Godwins Omobayo located at Osadebey Avenue, near the airport, in Benin to forestall any attack on him. In a statement on Thursday, Edo government alleged that it had observed the level of wanton destruction perpetrated by thugs working in connivance with the former deputy governor. Chris Nehikhare, the commissioner for communication and orientation, alleged that Mr Shaibu-led thugs have unleashed mayhem on innocent citizens in the guise of enforcing the judgement reinstating him to office. “We want to reiterate that Shaibu will face the consequences of violence that he has resorted to in pursuit of his aim to return to the Government House even when he is aware that a stay of execution of the judgement has been filed,” he said. The commissioner enjoined the general public to be calm and go about their lawful businesses as government restored peace to the ancient city. However, efforts to get the reaction of Shaibu proved abortive. But a statement by Godswill Inegbe, an aide to Okpebholo said his principal was attacked by the gunmen. “During the unprovoked attack, three mobile policemen attached to the security detail of Sen. Okpebholo were injured with bullet wounds, while one of the policemen has been feared dead,” Inegbe said. According to him, Okpebholo is at this moment admitted in an undisclosed hospital in Benin for medical attention with other members of the entourage. 

Why I Refused To Return Edo Government Vehicle – Shaibu 

Former Deputy Governor of Edo State, Philip Shaibu, has opened up about his impeachment, the state’s politics, godfatherism and the contentious issue of the campaign vehicles in his position. In an interview, Shaibu, who had previously accused Governor Godwin Obaseki of orchestrating his impeachment, revealed that he has forgiven the governor and is ready to reconcile with him. Addressing the issue of campaign vehicles in his possession, Shaibu clarified that the vehicles in his possession were not new but refurbished ones that belonged to previous deputy governors. He emphasized his commitment to transparency and accountability during his tenure. He said, “The vehicles they are referring to are the two Prado SUVs used by Lucky Imasuen as the deputy governor. The other Hilux was the one (Dr Pius) Odubu’s wife used, and the Land Cruiser was the one Odubu used. “I took all those vehicles to the mechanic who changed their engine and refurbished them. Those are the vehicles that they are telling me to return. “So, you can see how heartless men can be. I got only one new vehicle in almost eight years that I served as the deputy governor of the state.” He emphasized his commitment to activism and the need for political leaders to prioritize the welfare of the people.   On the issue of his impeachment, Shaibu criticized the process, stating that the oath of office had been breached by Governor Obaseki multiple times. He also highlighted the need for constitutional amendments to protect deputy governors from arbitrary impeachment.

Gov Obaseki finally swears in five Edo high court judges after 11-month delay

After a lengthy 11-month delay, Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has finally sworn in five out of the eight judges recommended for appointment as Honourable High Court Judges by the National Judicial Council (NJC) in June 2023. The newly sworn-in judges are Justice Obayuwana Osarenren Mathias, Justice Ehinon Anthony Okoh, Justice Ovenseri Otamere, Justice Bright Eraze Oniha, and Justice Osayande Ikwuemosi Awawu. Reports indicate that the delay in swearing in all eight judges stemmed from petitions against some of the nominees.  Chris Nehikhare, Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, noted that the petitions necessitated further investigations before the full panel could be appointed. The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) had condemned Governor Obaseki’s delay in swearing in the judges, citing it as an abuse of power and a disregard for constitutional provisions.  Specifically, the NBA’s Section on Public Interest and Development Law (NBA-SPIDEL) highlighted the constitutional obligation of the Governor to swear in appointed judicial officers promptly. SPIDEL said the delay hindered the functioning of the justice delivery system and left the appointed judges needing means of sustenance.  In response to the mounting pressure, Governor Obaseki eventually swore in five of the judges at the Festival Hall in Government House, Benin City.  During the ceremony, he reminded them of the importance of impartiality in dispensing justice

Court Refuses to stop impeachment move against Edo Deputy Gov, Philip Shaibu

The Federal High Court in Abuja, again, refused to stop the alleged impeachment move against the incumbent Edo State Deputy Governor, Mr Phillip Shaibu by the State House of Assembly. Specifically, Shaibu prays the court to grant an order of status quo to be maintained by the House of Assembly and others involved in the impeachment move. Counsel to the plaintiff, Olawoyin Awoyale, (SAN) had orally requested for an order of status quo to be maintained by parties pending the hearing and determination of his motion on notice. In his ruling, Justice Omotoso held that the cited authority was not applicable in the Shaibu’s case because the Governor of Edo State and the Edo State House of Assembly who are the principal actors in the impeachment bid have not been served with the originating summons of the suit as required by law. However, the Judge granted the request that the Edo State Governor and the State House of Assembly be served with the originating summons by substituted means. Specifically, Justice Omotoso ordered that the court process be pasted at the entrance gate of the Edo State Government House and the gate of the State House of Assembly Complex both in Benin. Besides, the Judge also directed that all court papers be served on parties in the matter with the use of a registered Courier Company. Justice Omotoso subsequently fixed April 15 for hearing of the case. The Deputy Governor, Phillip Shaibu who was in the room throughout the Wednesday’s proceedings declined to speak with newsmen. In the motion marked FHC/ABJ/CS/321/2024, the Edo State Government, Edo State Governor, Edo State House of Assembly, Edo State House of Assembly Speaker, the Clerk of the Assembly, the Chief Judge of Edo State, Inspector General of Police IGP and Director General of the Department of State Services DSS were listed as the first to eighth defendants. Shaibu, in the suit, sought an order of the court restricting the third to fifth defendants from commencing any process by issuing a notice of allegation, holding proceedings, or setting up any panel of investigation for his removal pending the hearing of a motion on notice. He also sought an interim injunction restraining the defendants, whether by themselves or their agents, from interfering with the subject matter of the originating summons filed in the suit either by way of taking any adverse actions in relation to any attempt or process targeted at his removal from office as the deputy governor of Edo State pending the hearing of the motion on notice. Other reliefs sought are: “An order of interim injunction restraining the 1st to 8th defendants, whether by themselves, their agents, privies, servants, officials, representatives, and or any other person or authority acting through them, from preventing the plaintiff either by threat of removal from office or adverse actions capable of hindering the plaintiff from performing his official duties and discharging his responsibilities as the Deputy Governor of Edo State, including attending State Executive Council meetings, functions and other duties. “An order of interim injunction directing the defendants herein jointly, whether by themselves, their agents, privies, servants, officials, representatives, or any other person or authority acting through them, to maintain status quo ante bellum prevailing before the issuance of the purported notice or petition to commence removal of the Plaintiff from office pending the hearing and the final determination of the motion on notice. ”