Police, DSS Neutralise 3-Man POS Robbery Gang

Operatives of the Nigeria Police and those of the Department of State Services neutralised a three-man robbery gang in Enugu on Sunday. The gang specialised in robbing Point of Sale (POS) operators. Police spokesman in Enugu State, DSP Daniel Ndukwe stated that the gang members were neutralised in a gun duel after which arms and ammunition and their operational tricycle were recovered from them. Two locally-made pistols, six rounds of 0.9mm calibre ammunition and N500,000 cash were also recovered from the gang, he stated. “Other exhibits recovered were rolls of POS transaction printing papers, assorted mobile phones, wallets, bags and objects suspected to be charms,’’ he added. Ndukwe stated also that the hoodlums had earlier robbed different POS operators and their customers at gunpoint in different locations in Enugu. “At about 1 p.m., the hoodlums attacked POS operators at different locations in Enugu metropolis, dispossessing them of the recovered exhibits. “The hoodlums opened fire on security operatives who mounted surveillance on them upon sighting the latter. “The security operatives responded with superior firepower, neutralising the three of them and recovering the exhibits in the process,’’ the police spokesman stated. He added that many of the victims later identified the assailants and some of the recovered exhibits. “Investigation is on-going to possibly fish out other members of the criminal gang,’’ Ndukwe also stated.
Court Grants Emefiele N300m Bail

Former Central Bank Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, who is facing charges of financial impropriety and corruption, has been granted bail by Justice Hamza Muazu of the Federal Capital Territory High Court Abuja. This recent bail, set at N300 million with two sureties in like sum, requires the sureties to possess certificates of occupancy within Abuja’s upscale Maitama District. Moreover, Emefiele must surrender his travel documents to the court registrar and remain within the Abuja Municipal Council as part of the bail conditions. This development follows a previous bail grant of N20 million by the Federal High Court in Lagos four months ago. The charges against Emefiele are linked to alleged irregularities and misconduct during his tenure as the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). More details later…
Updated: Again, Court Remands Former CBN Gov, Emefiele in Kuje Prison

*Trial Commences November 28 Justice Hamza Muazu of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Maitama on Friday, remanded a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Godwin Emefiele, in Kuje Prison. Emefiele will be at the correctional facility till November 22, pending the court’s determination of his bail application. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Friday arraigned the Ex-CBN Boss on a six-count charge bordering on alleged money laundering and abuse of office. When the charges were read to him, Emefiele pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Sequel to his not guilty plea, his counsel, Matthew Burkaa (SAN) prayed the court to grant his client bail because he has suffered unduly, asking the court to use its discretion to grant him bail. “We have placed evidence before your Lordship that the defendant will not jump bail. But the plaintiff has not given sufficient evidence that he would jump bail. We urge your Lordship to grant him bail,” he argued. Responding, counsel to the EFCC, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), told the court to refuse him bail as he would jump bail. In his ruling, Justice Muazu said the ex-CBN Governor should be remanded in Kuje Correctional Centre till November 22 for the determination of his application for bail. Meanwhile, November 28 has been fixed for the commencement of his trial. Emefiele will also appear before Justice Olukayode Adeniyi of the same FCT High Court for a fundamental human rights enforcement suit, having been illegally detained for 151 days.
DSS Storms Ondo PDP Headquarters

On Monday, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) and members of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) made a conspicuous appearance at the Secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ondo State. These security personnel were seen positioning their vehicles in the vicinity of the opposition party’s headquarters. Kennedy Peretei, the spokesperson for the Ondo PDP, officially confirmed the presence of the security operatives. He disclosed that their primary objective appeared to be the prevention of a planned peaceful protest scheduled by the party’s youth wing. Peretei further clarified that the protest aimed to address the ongoing absence of Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu from the State since April 2023, with the intent of seeking information about his whereabouts. Notably, this heightened security presence hindered the entry of staff into the PDP secretariat. The All Progressives Congress (APC) sounded an alarm on Sunday, alleging potential machinations by the PDP and certain APC figures to instigate unrest within the state. The APC statement emphasized that Governor Akeredolu would soon return to the State, asserting that he has continued to carry out his official duties even while away.
I Can’t Deny Or Confirm Arrest Of CBN Deputy Gov, Aisha Ahmad- DSS Spokesman

The Department of State Services (DSS) has kept mum on the reported arrest of the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in charge of Financial System Stability, Aisha Ahmad. The media has been awash on Sunday with reports that the secret police apprehended Ahmad over her alleged involvement in the acquisition of shares in Polaris Bank, Titan Bank/Union Bank. It was gathered that the banker is being quizzed on how $300 million meant to complete the acquisition of Union Bank was raised by Titan Bank. Although the details of the arrest are still sketchy, the secret police and the apex bank have not reacted to the reports. According to reports on Channels Television on Sunday, when contacted, DSS spokesman, Peter Afunanya, said that he cannot confirm or deny that Ahmad is in their custody or has been invited for questioning. He stated that in the course of any investigation, people can be invited for questioning and those invitations are carried out within the ambit of the law. This is coming about two months after the secret service arrested Ahmad’s former boss at the CBN, Godwin Emefiele. He has been in the DSS custody since then. Emefiele, the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, was first charged with possession of a firearm but was later charged with N6.9 billion fraud.
Exclusive: ABP Failure: FG, RIFAN Initiate Nationwide Loan Recovery Drive

*Orders formation of loan recovery taskforce nationwide In the wake of the Federal Government’s recent threat to recover loans issued to Nigerians during the previous administration, the Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN) has taken swift action by issuing a directive to its members nationwide to reclaim loans disbursed to farmers during the 2018-2021 cropping seasons under the Anchor Borrowers’ Program (ABP). At inception in late 2015, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had said the programme thrust of the ABP is the provision of farm inputs in kind and cash (for farm labour) to smallholder farmers to boost production of these commodities, stabilise inputs supply to agro-processors and address the country’s negative balance of payments on food. By 2022, at least 4.8 million people had benefitted from the Anchor Borrowers Programme, authorities said at the unveiling of stacked paddy rice pyramids produced by rice farmers under the ABP initiative. While some beneficiaries have cited insecurity, flooding, climate change and crop failure as reasons for their inability to repay the loans, government officials have said that while the farmers’ reasons are somewhat valid, many of the farmers saw the loans as ‘their share of the national cake’ which do not need to be repaid. But the programme has been marred by loan default, even as food prices rose significantly within the years it took effect. There are also reports that several farmers collected the loan to travel to Hajj or married additional wives from the proceeds of the Anchor Borrowers Programme. This, among other reasons, is why authorities resolved to take legal action. “We find it very difficult to recover this loan,” Sahabi Augie, the immediate past Chairman of the Kebbi State chapter of the Rice Farmer Association of Nigeria (RIFAN), had said. In a recent report on Nigeria, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said that only 24% of loans under the ABP had been repaid. The CBN, however, disagreed with the IMF, saying N503 billion of loans under the ABP had been repaid. This figure represents 52.39% of the total loans collected by farmers under the programme, according to the bank. But a recent statement from CBN’s corporate communications department restated that only 48 per cent of the loan has not been repaid. The CBN said it released N1.079 trillion under the programme, out of which over N500 billion is due for repayment. Interestingly, the All Farmers’ Association of Nigeria (AFAN) seemed to tilt towards the IMF when, in December 2022, it said the CBN was having difficulties recovering the loans because most beneficiaries of the ABP were not Nigerian farmers. Experts believe the failure of farmers who benefitted from the ABP to repay more than N500 billion extended to them by the CBN underscores a weakness in the initiative. However, the critical decision to set up a taskforce and recover the loans by all means is following a high-level executive meeting between RIFAN and the Department of State Security (DSS) on August 29, 2023. During the meeting, the recovery of loans issued to rice farmers between 2018 and 2021 was discussed extensively, leading to the issuance of a directive by RIFAN’s top leadership. In the confidential memo addressed to RIFAN members, which was leaked to the NIGERIAN ANCHOR, Aminu Mohammed Goronyo, the National President of RIFAN, and Chief Livinus Ngwangwa, the National Secretary, provided detailed instructions on how the loan recovery process should proceed: “Immediate Loan Recovery: All loans disbursed to beneficiary farmers from 2018 to the present date must be swiftly and effectively recovered. Farmers are given the flexibility to repay in either cash or paddy. “Loan Repayment Account: Beneficiary farmers are required to channel their loan repayments to the designated loan recovery account: Account Name: RIFAN 2020/2021 Wet Season; Account Number: 0054122612; Bank: Unity Bank PLC. “Documentation: Farmers are mandated to ensure that copies of their loan repayment records are sent promptly to RIFAN Headquarters. This documentation process is essential for maintaining accurate records. “Recovery Task Force: RIFAN state chapters have been instructed to establish a dedicated recovery task force without delay. These task forces will work in close collaboration with law enforcement agencies, including the police, Department of State Security (DSS), Nigerian Civil Defense, and local traditional rulers, to oversee and facilitate the loan recovery process,” the memo instructed. Beneficiary farmers were encouraged to fully cooperate with their respective RIFAN state chapters to facilitate the successful recovery of loans in adherence to the provided directives. For additional information and updates, beneficiaries are advised to contact their local RIFAN chapter or visit the RIFAN website. RIFAN Contact Information: Website: www.rifan.ng, Email: info@rifan.ng. The Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN) is a prominent agricultural organization dedicated to supporting and advancing rice farming in Nigeria. RIFAN plays a pivotal role in facilitating the Anchor Borrowers’ Program (ABP) to empower rice farmers and enhance food security in Nigeria.
Legal Showdown: 60 lawyers sue DSS for withholding Emefiele’s release

No fewer than 60 legal practitioners on Monday, approached a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory to begin committal proceedings against the Department of State Services (DSS). The lawyers said the suit was hinged on what they described as violation of multiple judgments and orders of court directing the agency to release former Central Bank Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele. The lawyers led by Mr Maxwell Opara and Mr Ahmed Tijani, prayed the court to commit the DSS to prison the department clears itself of the contempt. The lawyers filed a motion before the court for the issuance of Form 48 and Form 49, which are the forms used to commence proceedings to commit a contemnor to prison. The lawyers said that by the judgments and orders of Justice M. A. Hassan, Justice Hamza Muazu and Justice Bello Kawu, the DSS Director -General ought to have released Emefiele from detention. In an affidavit in support of the application, the lawyers deposed to the fact Justice Hassan restrained the respondents, particularly, the DSS from arresting, detaining, or interrogating Emefiele. This was with regards to offences connected to terrorism financing, money laundering, round tripping and financial crimes of national security dimension. They also deposed that despite the clear and positive orders of the court, the DSS went ahead to arrest and detain Emefiele and had detained him for over a month while shopping for evidence, which did not exist. Addressing newsmen after filing their processes, Opara said the group would pursue the matter to its logical conclusion and ensure that Bichi was sent to prison. He said this was to serve as a deterrent to other heads of security agencies that disobedience of court orders would no longer be tolerated. Opara also said it was preposterous that the DSS had accused Emefiele of having committed heinous crimes against the state only for it to now file a charge of possession of a validly registered pump action rifle against him. “Is it not clear enough to Nigerians that the DSS is persecuting Emefiele if after holding him for five weeks they can only file a ridiculous charge of possessing a validly registered pump action gun?” “This clearly shows that the travail of Emefiele is more for political reasons than for any other.”
Court Order: We’ve charged Emefiele- DSS

The Department of State Services (DSS), Thursday night said it has charged the detained former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Mr. Godwin Emefiele to court. According to the agency, the move is in compliance with the order made by Justice Hamza Musa of the Federal Capital Territory High Court that sat in Maitama earlier on Thursday. The statement signed by the Public Relations Officer, Department of State Services, Peter Afunanya reads in part: “The public may recall that the Service had, in 2022, applied for a Court Order to detain him in respect of a criminal investigation. Though he obtained a restraining order from an FCT High Court, the Service, however, arrested him in June 2023, on the strength of suspected fresh criminal infractions/information, one of which forms the basis for his current prosecution. “The Service assures the public of professionalism, justice and fairness in handling this matter and indeed the discharge of its duties within the confines of the law. Recall that Justice Hamza Muazu earlier in the day, gave one week ultimatum to the Prosecution agency to either charge the detained Emefiele to Court or set him free. Emefiele sued the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), the Director General DSS, and the DSS, seeking enforcement of his fundamental human rights to freedom of movement and dignity in human life. He prayed the court to award N5m exemplary damages against the Respondents for his alleged unlawful detention. A copy of the suit has, however, not been made available as at the time of filing this report.
Suspended Emefiele in our custody, DSS confirms

The Department of State Services (DSS) on Saturday confirmed that suspended CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele is in their custody. In a statement signed by its Public Relations Officer, Peter Afunanya and made available to NIGERIAN ANCHOR, the DSS said the embattled Emefiele is being held for some investigative reasons. The security agents further admonished the media to be accurate in it reportage of the situation since he was suspended by President Bola Tinubu yesterday. “The DSS hereby confirms that Mr Godwin Emefiele, the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is now in its custody for some investigative reasons. “The public, particularly the Media, is enjoined to apply utmost caution in the reportage and narratives concerning this,” the brief statement said. The media has been awash with reports that Godwin Emefiele is being held over connections to terrorism financing, the recent Naira redesign policy, amongst other charges.
Godwin Emefiele’s sack expected, Uwaleke says

A Professor of Finance and Capital Market, Uche Uwaleke has said the suspension of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele on Friday night by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu did not come as a surprise to many Nigerians. In a chat with NIGERIAN ANCHOR, Uwaleke said Emefiele’s suspension marks an end to a turbulent era of Nigeria’s economy. Emefiele had come under a barrage of criticisms following the implementation of the naira redesign policy by the Apex Bank. In a swift reaction after his suspension yesterday, Emefiele was arrested by the Department of State Security (DSS), who had tried in vain to arrest him in the past and slammed with terrorism financing charges. Uwaleke said: “The Suspension of Godwin Emefelie was long foretold. But, this announcement caught not a few by surprise. “The President cannot sack the CBN Governor, but he can suspend, which is what the President Tinubu has done. “Recall that Mr Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, was equally suspended from office by the Jonathan administration,” Uwaleke said. In spite of the situation, the financial experts noted that during his tenure as CBN Governor, Emefiele was able to ensure the stability of Nigeria’s financial sector. According to him, he will be remembered for implementing big ideas such as the Anchor Borrower Programme, the RT200, the e-Naira and a raft of interventions which helped to stimulate the economy during periods of economic recession. “To be fair, Emefelie, to a large extent, succeeded in ensuring financial sector stability going by the prudential ratios. “His forex demand management policies, especially the 41 items not qualified for forex, promoted import substitution, conserved external reserves and ensured relative stability in exchange rates. It would be unfair to blame him for the current high inflation rate since most of the causative factors are beyond the control of the CBN. “On the flip side, he will also be remembered for the currency redesign exercise which didn’t go down well with Nigerians and the CBN Ways and Means which grew astronomically during his tenure. “His greatest mis-step was his attempt to join the list of Presidential candidates. “All said, I think he deserves some rest now,” Uwaleke said.