Interconnect Debt Dispute Resolved Between MTN Nigeria and Glo

In a recent announcement by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), the interconnect debt dispute between MTN Nigeria Communications Plc and Globacom Limited has been successfully resolved. The resolution comes within the 21-day grace period provided by the NCC, as highlighted in a statement by the Director of Public Affairs, Reuben Muoka. Previously, the NCC had issued a warning in January, stating that Glo subscribers might face restrictions on making calls to MTN lines due to unresolved interconnect charges. The potential disconnection could have affected 61.54 million mobile subscriptions on Glo’s network. The NCC extended its notice period to allow both companies to reach an agreement, taking into consideration the impact on subscribers. In the recent statement, the NCC confirmed the amicable resolution of the dispute and withdrew the disconnection approval granted to MTN. The statement emphasized the NCC’s commitment to strict adherence to the terms and conditions of licenses, especially those outlined in interconnection agreements. Additionally, the commission expressed its proactive approach to preventing future instances of interconnect indebtedness within the industry. This includes requesting relevant records and regular updates from Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) and adopting a transparent approach to industry indebtedness.
Lawyer seeks IGP’s help on Spring Hall British School’s property issue

The Inspector-General of Police, Mr Kayode Egbetokun, has been called upon to intervene in the refusal of the proprietor and Chairman of Spring Hall British School, Mr Stanley Jegede to vacate a property located in the Maitama District of Abuja, after it was sold to new owner. The new owner of the property, Moxie Communications Limited, through its lawyer, Barrister Victor Giwa, in a letter dated August 25, 2023, called for the intervention of the IGP to avert a breach of public peace. He said after the property was purchased, the school was notified but Mr Jegede has allegedly frustrated and intimidated his staff on the premises through threats, bullying and other devices. Barrister Giwa said, “Our Client by a DEED of Assignment and Contract of sales dated 13th of June 2023 respectively purchased the property described above from Mabon Estate Limited. “The said property is used as school by one Stanley Jegede, the proprietor and Chairman of Spring Hall British School hereafter referred to as suspect. “Our client on the purchase of premises and take over had notified the suspects through several letters of the desire of our client to renovate it premises on the bases of fit for purpose. “Surprisingly, after several letters and discussion, the suspect has deliberately and with the intention of causing breach of public frustrated and intimidated our staff on the premises through threats, bullying and other devices. These acts of the suspects have stunted the renovation work of our client on his premises. “The suspects have refused and failed to remove items and belongings from our property to enable our client continuous work. “This action of the Jegede Stanley is provocative, and capable of instigating serious resistance from our client’s staff and workers, which may eventually lead to break down of law and Order in the premises. “It is on this note that we are writing to you for your intervention and arrest of the suspects for his action which is capable of breaching public peace and criminal intimidation.”