Guber Election: Respect Wishes Of Kogi People, APC Tells INEC

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to protect the popular will of Kogi electorate in Saturday ‘s governorship election. Mr Felix Morka, the APC National Publicity Secretary said this in a statement on Sunday in Abuja. “With the candidate of the APC, Usman Ododo, coasting to spectacular victory in Saturday’s Kogi governorship election, we call on INEC to protect the integrity of the legitimate votes of the Kogi electorate. “Announced and uploaded results, so far, show our candidate maintaining a landslide lead in Kogi West and Central, with a competitive showing in Kogi East,” Morka said. He said the APC was aware of intense pressure, including violent threats on INEC staff by agents and supporters of trailing opposition parties aimed at unduly influencing or disrupting ongoing collation of results in the state. He urged INEC to stand fast in discharge of its constitutional duty to deliver free, fair and credible election in the state, and ensure that the freely exercised will of Kogi electorate prevailed.
ECOWAS rejects Niger Junta’s 3-year transition plan

The transition plan presented by the Niger junta for a three-year period to presumably establish a democratic government has been unequivocally dismissed by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). General Abdourahamane Tchiani, leader of the Niger junta, had said in a televised broadcast on Saturday night that the army will hand over power to the civilian government within the next three years. According to him, his ambition is not to confiscate power but help the country out of its current conundrum. “Our ambition is not to confiscate power,” General Abdourahamane Tiani emphasized in a televised address. He further stated, “Any transition of power would not go beyond three years.” However, in a contrary view, the ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Amb. Abdel-Fatau Musah, who made an appearance on Channels Television on Monday, voiced the West African bloc’s strong objection to the proposal. “This offer is completely unacceptable, and ECOWAS insists on the restoration of constitutional order as quickly as possible,” Amb. Musah stated firmly, emphasizing that the commission had prior experience dealing with similar maneuvers by military regimes. He referred to the situation in Niger, highlighting the creation of the “new” constitution in 2010, which was subsequently revised in 2017. Musah posed a pointed question, “What dramatic change do you need in the governance architecture of the country to require three years to experiment with something else? Expressing skepticism about the junta’s intentions, Musah remarked, “This is like subterfuge to throw ECOWAS off-course and then do whatever they want.” Drawing comparisons, he pointed out that some other West African countries under military rule had been given about three years, yet they were now “negotiating” with their populations for an additional 18 months. Putting the timeframe into perspective, he highlighted the fact that even a democratically elected president in Nigeria only has four years in office. Musah concluded by questioning the legitimacy of the junta’s decision to start with a three-year period and implying that it could extend beyond that. ECOWAS’ response underscores its unwavering commitment to democratic governance and stability in the region, raising concerns about the motives behind the proposed three-year transition plan.
Nigerian military denies receiving coup request, expresses commitment to democracy

In response to a misleading and concerning report, the Defence Headquarters has vehemently denied that the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) received any solicitation to facilitate a change of leadership within the nation. The Director of Defence Information, Brigadier-General Tukur Gusau, said this in a statement issued on Sunday in Abuja to clarify the situation. Gusau emphasized that at no point did the armed forces receive or issue any communication indicating support for a leadership alteration to any individual or group. He condemned the unfounded claims, attributing them to those with ulterior motives who harbour ill-will towards the nation. He asserted, “This statement appears to have originated from individuals who are not aligned with the nation’s well-being and progress. It is an unfortunate product of the imagination of a small faction that is dissatisfied with the advancements and prosperity of our beloved country.” The Defence Headquarters also sought to reaffirm the military’s staunch alignment with democratic principles and unwavering loyalty to President Bola Tinubu, who holds the position of President, Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The military’s steadfast commitment to upholding the constitution of the nation was also underscored by Brigadier-General Gusau. “We wish to underscore that the military is fully comfortable within the democratic framework and stands firm in its dedication to safeguarding the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Any suggestions to the contrary are baseless and misleading.” The statement further extended a stern caution to those disseminating false information. “We call upon those circulating such fabrications to cease immediately or be prepared to face legal consequences. Both the Military and other security agencies are actively monitoring such negative agents. Our collective responsibility is to bolster our democracy and foster unity,” he said. Gusau further urged the nation to collaborate in protecting the democratic values and progress that Nigeria has strived to achieve. The Defence Headquarters’ statement reflects the military’s firm commitment to democratic governance and its unwavering dedication to upholding the country’s constitutional integrity.