Most Wanted Boko Haram Terrorist Surrenders

Most wanted commander of Boko Haram terrorists, Mallam Yathabalwe, who had been terrorising Gwoza in Borno State has surrendered. Emir of Gwoza, His Royal Highness, Alhaji Mohammed Shehu Timta, on Friday, revealed that the terrorist surrendered to the troops of Operation Hadin Kai. Before surrendering, the terrorist had been responsible for a series of attacks and killings, including the slaughtering of farmers on their farmlands in Gwoza LGA and environs. The monarch told journalists that, “We are happy to confirm and inform you that the most wanted top Commander of Boko Haram who had been terrorising Gwoza and other surrounding Mandara Mountain communities in my domain, Mallam Yathabalwe, has surrendered to troops of ‘Operation Hadin Kai’ in the North-East. “He willingly came out from his enclave on Friday morning with two AK47 rifles and some ammunition. He was then handed over to the troops of the Nigerian military in Gwoza, after which he may be taken to Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, for further questioning or action. “Yathabalwe, before surrendering, has been terrorising my people for many years, especially making it very difficult for farmers to access their farmlands. With this new development, we are hopeful that total peace will return to Gwoza and its environs.”

Elder statesman Edwin Clark knocks military for raiding his home in Delta

Elder statesman and National Leader of the Pan-Niger Delta Forum, Chief Edwin Clark, has knocked the Nigerian military over an incursion into his residence located in the Kiagbodo Local Government Area of Delta State. In a statement issued on Tuesday, Clark expressed his dismay over the incident, detailing how armed soldiers stormed his residence in search of a suspect named “Vote” allegedly linked to the recent killing of 17 soldiers in Okuama. According to him, the military men had reportedly arrived in five trucks loaded with armed soldiers, numbering between 30 and 40, while at the same time flying drones within the premises. He said, “Some of them went to the buildings behind the main house and broke all the doors that were locked. They matched out my staff living in those buildings, including lecturers at the university, and made them sit on bare ground. “They also broke into my late brother, Ambassador Akporode Blessing Clark’s house. “A man who served this country internationally in various capacities, including as Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations and Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as both of us share the same premises. “They brought out his son almost naked, as the young man was taking a bath when they stormed the house. “All their phones were seized. The people had to identify themselves and told them whose house it was before they asked for my telephone number, which they said they would pass to their “oga” before they all departed. “One would have expected that at this juncture, a call could have been put to the Governor of Delta State, to inform him of what happened”. Clark described the authorisation of such raids as “disrespectful and unlawful”, having served the country nearly 70 years in different capacities. “Again, I call on the various state actors to let me live in peace and treat me with the kind of respect that I deserve, having served this country, and still serving even at the age of 97 years, until when it will please the Almighty God to call me home. “I want to end this write-up by addressing all concerned with what I told President Muhammadu Buhari when my security details were withdrawn. “If I die today as a result of a natural occurrence, it will be a joyful celebration. But if my death is linked to any dubious means by some overzealous state actors, no one can tell how far the fire will rage. This is not a threat. It is an acknowledgement of God’s mercies on me,” he added.

Senate Holds Closed-Door Meeting with Service Chiefs and Ministers on National Security

In response to the escalating state of insecurity across the nation, the Senate convened another closed-door executive session on Tuesday to receive a detailed security briefing from top military officials and federal ministers. The decision to transition into the executive session was prompted by a motion by Senate Leader Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, who sought to temporarily suspend regular proceedings to allow for the admission of invited guests. The guests granted access to the session comprised the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, along with the Ministers of Defence, Police Affairs, Interior, and Finance. Additionally, all Service Chiefs, the Inspector General of Police, and Directors-General of the Department of State Services (DSS) and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) were present. Senate President, Godswill Akpiabio, in his opening remarks, underscored the significance of involving ministers responsible for overseeing the financial allocations to security agencies. Akpabio emphasized the pivotal role of adequate funding in facilitating the procurement of essential equipment necessary for combating security threats. Of notable presence was the Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr. Wale Edun, whose insights were sought on avenues for financing critical security initiatives aimed at safeguarding lives and properties. Akpiabio reiterated that the invitation extended to the ministers and security chiefs was a response to numerous petitions received from constituents, demonstrating the Senate’s commitment to addressing the concerns of citizens. The interactive security briefing was framed within the context of the Senate’s oversight mandate, providing an opportunity for direct engagement with key stakeholders to assess the current security landscape and explore legislative interventions. Senators seized the opportunity to raise pertinent security-related queries and collaborated with relevant agencies to devise effective strategies for mitigating the nation’s security challenges.

National Security: President Tinubu meet with Security Chiefs, Calls for Decisive Action

President Bola Tinubu has read the riot act to security chiefs, insisting that for him, full success in the fight against insecurity is only when Nigerian territories are secured, troops return to their localities, and resources are directed toward vital economic expansion programs. Addressing the assemblage of security chiefs and intelligence heads, President Tinubu emphasized the criticality of achieving an unequivocal victory against the diverse security threats menacing the nation. While acknowledging the commendable progress in neutralizing certain security threats, President Tinubu insisted that ultimate success hinges upon conclusively addressing the multifaceted challenges. “Our investments in infrastructure, social security, and economic growth require a definitive resolution to the challenges impeding progress,” he affirmed. Pointing out recent setbacks, particularly in Kaduna, the President stressed the imperative of enhanced coordination among security agencies. Despite noted improvements in collaboration, the President asserted that true success would only be realized when Nigerians across the length and breadth of the country can go to bed and sleep with their eyes closed. He also emphasised another key performance indicator to be the achievement of sustainable production of two million barrels of crude oil per day within the first quarter of 2024, as he underscores the pivotal role of the armed forces, urging them, especially the Navy, to elevate their performance to meet national objectives. The President vowed that his administration shall crush all adversaries, both internal and external, that pose threats to Nigeria’s interests. The president used the occasion to recognize and commend some of his key security personnel who were recently promoted for their exemplary dedication and commitment to duty. These included the Commander of the Presidential Air Fleet (PAF), the Commander of the Brigade of Guards (BoG), and the Chief Personal Security Officer (CPSO), Air Commodore Olayinka Olusola Oyesola, Commander Adebisi Olusegun Onasanya, and Police CPSO Usman Musa Shugaba. The President praised their loyalty and service to the nation, expressing gratitude for their invaluable contributions. The event witnessed the presence of eminent officials, including the National Security Adviser, Service Chiefs, Heads of Intelligence Agencies, and presidential aides. AVM Olayinka, speaking on behalf of the promoted officers, conveyed appreciation to the President for the recognition and pledged continued allegiance and unwavering dedication to duty.

West Africa Defence Chiefs meet Wednesday to discuss Niger coup

Address good governance, alliance tells ECOWAS leaders

Defence chiefs from West Africa’s regional bloc ECOWAS will meet in Nigeria’s capital Abuja for two days beginning Wednesday to discuss last week’s coup in Niger, the bloc said in a statement on Tuesday. On Sunday leaders of the Economic Community of West African States slapped sanctions on Niger and warned they may use force as it gave the junta a week to reinstate President Mohamed Bazoum. The leaders gave the junta seven days to reinstate President Mohamed Bazoum, who is being held captive. Earlier, the junta warned it would resist any “plan of aggression against Niger” by regional or Western powers. Meanwhile hundreds of coup supporters protested outside the French embassy in the capital Niamey. A statement read out after the Sunday summit in Nigeria said that Ecowas had “zero tolerance” for coups. The regional bloc said it would “take all measures necessary to restore constitutional order” if its demands were not met within a week. “Such measures may include the use of force,” and military chiefs are to meet “immediately” to plan for an intervention, the statement added. The Special Representative and Head of the United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel was at the meeting, and said Ecowas had taken a decisive action because events in Niger were concerning. “Niger is playing a key role in fighting terrorism. If Niger stops playing this role this will give more space and more leeway to terrorists to expand in the region,” Dr Leonardo Santos Simao told BBC’s Newshour programme. He added that “no official negotiations” were taking place between ECOWAS and the country’s military junta. This is the first time ECOWAS has threatened military action to reverse the coups that have taken place in the region in recent years. It last sanctioned military intervention in 2017, when Senegalese troops were deployed to The Gambia to force long-serving ruler Yahya Jammeh to leave office after he refused to accept defeat in elections. Chad’s President Mahamat Idriss Déby Itno has gone to Niamey to tell the junta to step down, Chad’s government said. He met junta deputy leader Gen. Salifou Mody. It is unclear whether he will hold talks with Gen. Abdourahmane Tchiani, the head of the presidential guards unit who has declared himself Niger’s new ruler. The West African leaders also announced the immediate enforcement of a no-fly zone over Niger for all commercial flights, the closure of all land borders with the country, and the imposition of financial sanctions against the junta. Ahead of their meeting, Gen. Tchiani warned ECOWAS and unnamed Western nations against stepping in. “We once again reiterate to ECOWAS or any other adventurer, our firm determination to defend our fatherland,” the statement, which was read out on TV, said. The coup has prompted concern that Niger, a former French colony, could pivot towards Russia. The ousted president had worked closely with both regional and Western nations to fight militant Islamists. Burkina Faso and Mali moved closer to Russia after their own coups. In Niamey, some of the protesters outside the French embassy chanted “Long live Russia”, “Long live Putin” and “Down with France”, AFP news agency reports. They also set fire to the walls of the embassy compound. France would not tolerate any attack on its interests in Niger, and would respond in an “immediate and intractable manner”, President Emmanuel Macron’s office said in a statement.