Ozekhome’s Kidnappers Bag 20 Years Imprisonment

Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court, Abuja has sentenced the kidnappers of Prof Mike Ozekhome and and Delta Commissioner for Higher Education, Professor Hope Eghagha and others to 20 years imprisonment. Their alleged offences are said to be punishable under sections 1(2)(f), 8(1)(b), 10, 15(1), 17, d 19 of the Terrorism Prevention Act 2011(as amended). The judgement, which was coming 10years after, had Kelvin Oniarah Eziegbe, Frank Azuekor convicted and sentenced for kidnapping and terrorism, which will commence from the date of their arrest. However, the court discharged and acquitted Michael Omonigho, a priest of a shrine, who was arraigned along with the convicts. According to the Judge, some of the 13-count charge for which the convicts were arraigned carry life imprisonment but she had to use her discretion to sentence them to 20 years imprisonment. Justice Nyako ordered the transfer of the convicts from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) to the correctional centre to serve their imprisonment. Earlier before the sentencing, the convicts prayed Justice Nyako for mercy in the sentencing saying that, they have never been convicted for any offence before now. The first convict. Kelvin Eziegbe specifically pleaded the court for mercy in the sentencing because of his health challenges which he had been battling with since the past ten years he had been in the custody of the DSS. While the counsel to the convicts, Mr. Bala Dakum joined the convicts in pleading for mercy in the sentencing, the prosecution counsel, Chioma Onuegbu reminded the court of the gravity of the offences for which the convicts were convicted. Speaking shortly after the judgement, Counsel Onuegbu expressed gratitude for the judgement as she said it will serve as a deterrent to other criminals that the office of the criminal justice act are working. Ahmed Tijani counsel to the fourth defendant in the charge sheet, Haruna Momoh, who was said to have escaped from custody said his client, slammed with a five-count charge, bordering on kidnapping and terrorism did not escape from lawful custody. The court had, in the judgement told the DSS to find, arrest and arraign the 4th defendant to face his trial, a directive Tijani said, will be addressed, “When we get to the bridge”. Charges against the convicts, who were docked in 2023 include, conspiracy to commit terrorism act to include kidnapping, accessory to act of terrorism, inciting persons to commit act of terrorism, recruitment, escape and abetting escape. The duo of Eziegbe and Azuekor were, accused in counts two and three of conspiracy to commit terrorism act of murder by shooting and killing five police officers and two prison officials; commuting of intentional murder by shooting to killing five police officers and two prison officials. Azuekor was accused, in count seven, of escaping with others from lawful custody when the prison vehicle in which they were being conveyed to court was allegedly attacked by Eziegbe and others. Michael Omonigho was accused, in counts 12 and 13 of acting as the group’s herbalist by providing “spiritual and moral support” to it, and failing to reporting the groups activities to security agencies.
Terrorism Charges: Nnamdi Kanu Knows Fate Dec 15

The Supreme Court of Nigeria has officially set December 15, 2023, as the date for delivering its judgment in the highly anticipated case involving the federal government of Nigeria and the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu. This announcement was made by the apex court on Thursday, following the completion of final submissions by the legal teams representing both the federal government and Nnamdi Kanu. Recall that the Court of Appeal in Abuja, on October 13, 2022, ordered the release of Kanu from detention, while also dismissing a 15-count terrorism charge brought against him by the FG. The three-member panel unanimously reached this decision, stating that the Nigerian government had violated established laws by forcibly bringing Kanu from Kenya for trial, thus stripping the trial court of jurisdiction. Following this verdict, the FG, dissatisfied with the ruling, appealed to the Supreme Court and obtained a suspension of the judgement’s execution pending the appeal’s determination.
Court Remands Naira Marley In Prison As Police Declare Mohbad’s Ally Wanted

A Magistrate Court in Yaba, Lagos State, has remanded Azeez Fashola, popularly known as Naira Marley, and Lagos socialite, Balogun Eletu, aka Sam Larry, into police custody. This decision comes at the request of the Lagos State Police Command, which sought a 30-day remand for the individuals while they investigate further. However, Magistrate Adeola Olatunbosun ruled for a 21-day remand instead. Meanwhile, the Lagos State Police Command has declared Owodunni Ibrahim, also known as Primeboy, wanted due to his failure to respond to police invitations during the ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of singer Ilerioluwa Aloba, widely known as Mohbad. Lagos police spokesperson, Benjamin Hundeyin, described Ibrahim as approximately 1.64 meters tall, male, dark-complexioned, with tribal marks, and of Yoruba descent. His last known address is 3rd Power, Oke Eletu, Ikorodu. Hundeyin urged anyone who may have information on Ibrahim’s whereabouts to contact the nearest police station or call 0803 688 5727. Additionally, the state Commissioner of Police, CP Idowu Owohunwa, has offered a reward of N1 million to anyone providing useful information leading to Ibrahim’s arrest. This development follows the tragic death of Mohbad, a former signee of Naira Marley’s record label, at the age of 27 in Lagos.
UK Police slams bribery charges on Diezani

The British police have charged former Minister of Petroleum, Diezani Alison-Madueke with bribery offences. According to Reuters, the UK police on Tuesday said they suspected she had accepted bribes in return for awarding multi-million-pound oil and gas contracts. Reuters said charges against her also detail financial rewards including furniture, renovation work and staff for the properties, payment of private school fees, and gifts from high-end designer shops such as Cartier jewellery and Louis Vuitton goods. The 63-year-old ex-minister served during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan, from 2010 to 2015. She was the president of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). Speaking about the charges, Andy Kelly, Head of the National Crime Agency’s (NCA) International Corruption Unit, said, “We suspect Diezani Alison-Madueke abused her power in Nigeria and accepted financial rewards for awarding multi-million-pound contracts. “These charges are a milestone in what has been a thorough and complex international investigation.” The NCA said Alison-Madueke was accused of benefiting from at least £100,000 in cash, chauffeur-driven cars, flights on private jets, luxury holidays for her family, and the use of multiple London properties.