Gov Sanwo-Olu Reopens Alaba Int’l Market

The Lagos State Government has taken the decision to reopen the Alaba International Market and some markets within the Trade Fair Complex in Ojo. The market was previously closed due to issues related to improper waste management and environmental infractions. Mr. Tokunbo Wahab, the Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, clarified that the reopening of these markets was not politically motivated but a strategic move to ensure a clean and healthy environment in and around business facilities. Wahab stated: “The decision to reopen the markets followed rigorous assessment and implementation of stringent environmental standards. These standards were set to guarantee that businesses in the state operate in a manner that is not detrimental to the environment and the well-being of the people.” Collaborating with market officials, the Lagos Waste Management Authority, led by Dr. Muyiwa Gbadegesin, worked tirelessly to ensure that the necessary environmental standards were met. He emphasized the importance of maintaining a balance between commerce and environmental health. “We have standards that each market in the state has to comply with to make our business environment clean and healthy for buyers and sellers,” Gbadegesin explained. “These include proper waste management, zero tolerance for open burning of waste, and zero tolerance for dumping of waste in drainage channels.” Gbadegesin encouraged market users and business owners to commit to environmental sustainability through proper waste disposal, emphasizing that compliance with these standards is crucial to avoiding future market closures.
Lagos Government Shuts Down Alaba International Market

Officials of the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) and the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Unit have taken decisive action against Alaba International Market, Ojo. The operation took place during the early hours of Monday, and was revealed through an official statement posted by Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab. Commissioner Wahab disclosed that the renowned Alaba International Market had been sealed due to a combination of serious environmental violations. The primary reasons cited for this action were the market’s poor waste disposal practices, failure to settle outstanding waste bills, and a host of gross environmental sanitation offences. Recall that Ladipo Market in Mushin was reopened after being close for various environmental infractions.
Alaba Market Demolition- Ohaneze bemoans plight of Igbo traders

The Ohaneze Ndigbo has expressed concern over the lingering problems in Lagos over the planned demolition of some property at the Alaba Market dominated by Igbo traders. The President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo Worldwide, Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, said this in a statement issued by the group’s National Publicity Secretary, Dr Alex Ogbonnia on Saturday in Enugu. Ohaneze said since the disturbing news broke out, they had made investigations in order to establish the true state of affairs. Iwuanyanwu said, “The attention of Ohanaeze Ndigbo has been drawn to several fake publications circulating on social media alleging a decision by the Lagos State Government to take actions to victimize the Igbo citizens domiciled in Lagos”. He said based on its investigation, one reliable source, Comrade Chinedu Ukatu, Member, Lagos State Market Advisory Council said, “the Lagos State Environment and Development Authority has been issuing warnings as regards the obstruction of some waterways”. Ukatu, who is also the President Ndigbo-Amaka Progressive Market Association, Lagos, added “all that happened at Alaba and the emergency visit by the state government officials were directly about those blocking the free flow of water through the provided water ways”. Ukatu explained that the directive as “not in any way related to plazas and shops on the markets or along the market road”. He enjoined all and sundry to “disregard the statements and video messages trending on the internet and admonished that such propaganda was not necessary for the Igbos at this time”. Another Alaba resident, Chief Ikechukwu Okolo told Ohaneze that, some structures were erected on waterways, thereby obstructing drainages and causing flooding, especially during the rainy seasons. Okolo stated that, “the owners of the affected structures have since been notified, for months, but as we can see, each time the execution order was to be effected, corrupt Government officials would get compromised, and the flooding challenge continues, until this time”. Chief Evaristus Ozonweke, an Ohaneze chieftain, resident in Lagos, has also validated the above position. Iwuanyanwu urged the Lagos State Environment and Development Authority (LASEDA) to exercise prudence and best considerations in discharging their duties as he asked the Igbo in Lagos to remain calm. He, therefore, indicated a pressing need to visit Lagos and the South West in the next few weeks as he was very optimistic that during the visit, all the challenges confronting the Igbo in Lagos would be addressed.