Abuja Building Collapse: Wike orders landlord’s, as victims assess losses

Following the collapse of a two-storey building on Lagos Street, Garki Village, Abuja, on Wednesday night, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr. Nyesom Wike, has directed the apprehension of the building’s owner. The incident resulted in the loss of two lives, with 37 individuals successfully evacuated and transported to medical facilities, according to a statement issued by the FCT Emergency Management Agency (FCT FEMA). During his visit to the collapse site on Thursday, Wike issued the order and emphasized the significance of accountability. Additionally, he instructed the Permanent Secretary of FCT Administration, Mr. Adesola Olusade, to cover the medical expenses of those who were hospitalized due to the collapse. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, Wike also called upon the Department of Development Control under the FCT Administration to swiftly relocate the affected residents of the community. He underscored the importance of collaboration between stakeholders and government officials, emphasizing their shared responsibility to ensure the well-being of all concerned. The aftermath of the building collapse has prompted a swift response from authorities, reflecting the gravity of the incident and the commitment to safeguarding lives and property. “This is what we are talking about; people just built houses without due diligence to minimum standards. “This is why cities are planned – forestall this kind of incidents. “I sympathise with those who lost their lives while the medical bills of those in the hospitals will be paid immediately,” he said. Earlier, the Director, Development Control, Mr Mukhtar Galadima, had explained that the area was unplanned and houses an indigenous community. Galadima said that the two-storey building was multipurpose and was for both residential and commercial use. The permanent secretary commended security agencies and some contractors who came out in their numbers to render support in evacuating the rubbles and search for more victims. Also, the Director-General, FCT FEMA, Dr Idriss Abass, said that relevant agencies had been on ground since the occurrence of the incident, to rescue the victims. Abass said that efforts were still ongoing “to ensure that no one is left under the rubbles”. Meanwhile, some of the victims, who spoke with newsmen said that they lost their investments and properties to the incident, and called for government support. One of them, Ms Glory Perekeme, who operates a restaurant and a bar at the building, said she lost about N5 million as she could not take anything from her restaurant. “I closed for business around 10:00 p.m. and was on my way home when I received a call that the building had collapsed and my investment gone. “I am still in shock; and I don’t even know where to start from. “I really need assistance. Government should come to our aid so we can start all over again,” she said. Another victim, Mrs Ann Anyi, who owned a laundry and sells shoes, said that she lost everything to the incident. “I have been crying since I got the news of the incident in the midnight. “I am just hoping that when the rescue operation is over, I will be able to salvage something from the rubbles,” she said.
Niger Coup: Tchiani asserts defensive stance against ECOWAS

In the wake of the recent coup in Niger, General Abdourahamane Tchiani, the leader of the mutineers who assumed control, emphasized his nation’s reluctance for conflict but readiness to safeguard itself when necessary. Tchiani conveyed that both the military and the populace of Niger are averse to the prospects of war, yet they remain steadfast in their determination to counter any signs of aggression, as reported by Al Jazeera. The head of the junta underscored the unawareness of member states within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) regarding Niger’s pivotal role in preventing regional destabilization amidst a surge in terrorist activities. He expressed skepticism towards the imposed sanctions on his country, suggesting that they aimed to exert pressure on the rebels rather than resolve the ongoing crisis. Tchiani further clarified that the insurgents’ objective isn’t to seize power but to facilitate a solution that aligns with the best interests of the populace. The coup leader disclosed that an ECOWAS delegation visited Niger’s capital and held discussions both with the deposed President Mohamed Bazoum, who was removed and detained by his own guard led by Tchiani, and with Tchiani himself. Since the coup’s occurrence on July 26, ECOWAS has responded by suspending financial aid to Niger, freezing rebel-held assets, and imposing travel restrictions on flights to and from the nation. A subsequent summit in Nigeria’s Abuja resulted in ECOWAS leaders agreeing to ready a standby force to potentially compel the Nigerien military to reinstate Bazoum. On a recent note, ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Abdel-Fatau Musah, indicated that the general staff chiefs within ECOWAS have set a date for an undisclosed military intervention. This decision comes as tensions and uncertainties persist within Niger’s political landscape. General Abdourahamane Tchiani’s statements echo a stance against war while highlighting the nation’s resolve to defend itself against aggression, as Niger navigates through these challenging times of political transition and unrest.